Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 5th November 2008, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Default Hyderabad - Tirumala Road condition

Hi Team mates,
Planning for a Hyderabad - Tirumala trip on 21-24 November '08,with Family.
The plan is to go via - N'sagar,Piduguralla,Addanki ,get on to 4 way via Nellore and turn off at Nayadupet -Sri Kalahasti,Renigunta and Finally Tirupati.Actually have some work at the Hydro station in N'sagar,so have to touch it.Anyhow the work is tentative,so wouldnt mind going on alternate routes.
The other route in mind is Hyd-mahabubnagar-kurnool-Cuddapah and Tirupati.This road is understandably under repair with frequent diversions and heavily traffiked!
Kindly suggest any other alternate route and any precautions since going with family.Things like Rest rooms and Food stops have to be considered.
Thanks in advance
Old 26th November 2008, 15:41   #2
BHPian

No Suggestions ! Seems none is interested .Or to ask about an already standard route .
No problem! Actually I made the trip quite comfortably with a pinch of Adventure and exploration in my MJD .
Anyhow Thanks mates!
Would be posting in the Travellogues Soon!
Old 27th November 2008, 14:54   #3
BHPian

Which route did you take and which route would you suggest the best.
Planning for the trip somewhere in Jan or Feb.
Old 27th November 2008, 22:35   #4
BHPian

Hi,

I did the hyd-kurnool-cuddapah-renigunta-tirupati route in july this year on my way to chennai. Did it on my baleno, and the roads are good. One can maintain 100 easily, even with family. I didn't cross 100 Kmph. Had set myself a max speed limit of 100 Kmph.

I had done hyd-allagadda way back in july 2006 with my family and could easily maintain 100kmph on the roads after kurnool.

It is only after cuddapah or after rajampeta (need to check my logs) that you come across spead breakers. I did the kurnool - renigunta with a couple of 20 mins stops in about 5 and a half hours (1pm to 6.30 pm). I eased a lot (doing no more than 60-80 Kmph, even though the roads are inviting)while in the reserve forest just before renigunta, else would have saved atleast another 15mins to half an hour.

Have fun,
Dwarak

P.S. My baleno did not scrape any speed breakers, although some of them are high and wide.
Old 10th December 2008, 15:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Which route did you take and which route would you suggest the best.
Planning for the trip somewhere in Jan or Feb.
Sorry for the delay,was out of town .
I took the Hyd-Nagarjuna sagar-macherla-karempudi- turn right to vinukonda-podili-ongole-nellore-naidupet-tirupati route.
Total kms = 640 kms APPROX.

The original planned route from Karempudi was Straight to - Pidiguralla - Addanki - Kavali - Ongole ad so on.
But a dumb and false information at a tea stall made us enter into HELL and drive through it for almost 8 hours!This hellish route goes through Vinukonda-Podili upto Ongole. Total = 760KMS!!

The Avg speed on the original route as above would be 60kmph with occassional speed bumps before and after villages.Minimal traffic - prime motivator for our night sojourn beginning 1900hrs and ending 8AM.
Shall share my experience soon on the Travellogues section.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:16   #6
BHPian

Can anyone update on what is the best road to take from hyderabad to tirupati.
Planning to do this in last week of July ?
Old 6th July 2010, 12:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

We went a year back via Kurnool, Kadapa , Rayachoti and Pileru and returned via the same route except that we took the other road to Kadapa from Tirupati via Rajampeta

Both routes were in good condition then.
Old 14th July 2010, 12:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
We went a year back via Kurnool, Kadapa , Rayachoti and Pileru and returned via the same route except that we took the other road to Kadapa from Tirupati via Rajampeta

Both routes were in good condition then.
Any recommended petrol pumps on the way or at Tirupati ?
Old 14th July 2010, 14:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Any recommended petrol pumps on the way or at Tirupati ?
Don't exactly remember---but we tanked up at an IOC bunk while approaching Kurnool, and also at an IOC bunk at Tirupati, near the bus stand. The Tirupati guy also took credit card for payment.
Did not have any issues with fuel.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Can anyone update on what is the best road to take from hyderabad to tirupati.
Planning to do this in last week of July ?
I drove to Tirupati 10 days ago, started on 15th July at 8.30 AM from my home, checked into my hotel in Tirupati at 7.45 PM. Took 1 lunch and 3 short breaks. I went some extra distance after Kurnool as I wasn't able to find the turn to NH18. The return journey took some time less, started from Tirupati on 18th, Sunday at 10.30 AM and reached home by 8.30 PM. I took the Hyderabad - Kurnool - Nandyal - Cuddapah - Raichoti/Rajampet road. The road to Kurnool from Hyderabad is awesome. One can just fly if he is willing to take the risk. From Kurnool, the NH18 is neither bad, nor in good shape. Few sections are completely broken and full of potholes. Overall, the road is average. From Cuddapah, the road again turns good. Though its a 2 lane road with no divider in between, there isn't much traffic on this road. I was traveling with my family and a 3 month babe. The max speed I touched was 110, covered Hyderabad-Kurnool in 2.5 hours.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:42   #11
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Posting a quick summary of my trip for the benefit of fellow t-bhpians

Onward Journey
Hyderabad-> Kurnool (200) -> Nandyal (70)-> kadappa (130) -> Rajampet (55) -> renigunta (80) ->tirupati (12)
Start Time 4 am .. Destination 1 pm

Road Condition - Excellent with speed breakers betwen Kadappa and Renigunta.

Return journey
Hyderabad-> Kurnool (200) -> Nandyal (70)-> kadappa (130) -> rayachoti (50) -> pileru (55) -> tirupati (65)
Start Time 10:30 am .. Destination 8:30 pm

Road Condition - Good with one bad section in Raychoti Town.

Advice stick to Option 1.

Petrol Options - COCO pumps 12 kms before Kurnool (BP on right) and 5 kms after Nandyal (HP on left)
IOC at Tirupati on way to Thirumala.

Vehicle - NHC
FE 16.6
[/SIZE]
Old 25th October 2010, 15:27   #12
BHPian

Had to goto Tirupati to drop my better half. I went on 19th and came back on 21st.

Onward Journey

HYD-KURNOOL-NANDYAL-ALLAGADDA-MYDUKURU-KADAPA-RAJAMPETA-RLY KODUR-TIRUPATI.

I wanted to try HYD-KURNOOL-GOOTY-RAYALCHERUVU-KADAPA but avoided it as I heard the road was bad(Thank you Ravveendrra for the update)

Hyd to Kurnool being 4 laned is a bliss to drive on.
Bad roads start from Kurnool to Allagadda. Specialy Kurnool to Orvakal(Just before the ghat section) and end of the ghat section to almost allagadda has many sections with broken surfaces. Kadapa to Tirupati was a breeze going via Rajampeta & Rly Kodur. Its a wide 2 lane road with posted speed limits of 100 KMPH. But one must be aware of speed brakers.

Start Time 19 Oct 10.00 PM
End Time 20 Oct 09.00 AM
Total Distance 591 KM

TIRUPATI-HYD

I came back via the same route. Was well prepared for enduring the bad roads, but encountered heave truck/trailer traffic beteen Kurnool-Kadapa.
Start Time 21 Oct 07.00 AM
End Time 21 Oct 05.00 PM

Veichle Used: Logan
Total Distance: 1350 KM (1200 Highway + 150 Local)
Fuel Consumed: 57.31 Lts
F/E: 23.5 KMPL (95% AC on)
Old 25th October 2010, 15:58   #13
BHPian

The following are alternative routes to Tirupati (Not recommended routes considering the current road conditions there but just for information)

Hyderabad - Narkatpally (Part of Hyd - Vijayawada highway) - Miryalaguda - Piduguralla - Addanki - Ongole - Nellore (part of NH5) - Srikalahasti - Renigunta - Tirupati.

Or
Hyd - NagarjunSagar - Macherla - Narsaraopet - Chilakaluripet - Ongole - Nellore - Srikalahasti - Renigunta - Tpt.

However, considering the current route conditions, these are not preferable. This route is only to people who want to go through an alternative route.
Since my native is in coastal Andhra, we used to do this stretch to go through the paddy fields and view the cement plants on the way and also meet some relatives on the way.
Upto Ongole, the roads are pathetic. and I dont think these will be repaired anytime soon.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 25th October 2010 at 16:00.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:51   #14
BHPian

The Addanki route is horrible. I have tried all the possible routes for hyd-tpt.
HYD-KURNOOL-KADAPA-RAJAMPETA-TPT is the shortest.
HYD-KUR-ANANTAPUR-HORSELEY-PILER-TPT is the smoothest
Closed Thread