Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th July 2012, 20:50   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Driving destinations from Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
I had your excellent report as a backgrounder while preparing this routing. I will only change the route between Banduan and Bankura. It's much better to go via Manbazar rathar than Khatra.
That excellent report was by Mr. Dhar, not me!

Quote:
It adds about 20 additional km to the route. Is the NH60 bad due to road surface or general law and order condition? I will stick to your recommendation.
Think of it as a badly maintained district highway, which just happens to be called a NH. No L&O problems AFAIK, though it runs on the perimeter of a large coal mine.

I must mention that I have not been on that road for a couple of years. Once a road becomes known as bad, and there are alternatives, the bad road is avoided. In the meantime, if it is repaired and upgraded, one does not come to know of it. If you decide to use these 'avoided' roads, please do keep detailed notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
I am building an itinerary for a trip to Doars and Bhutan during the Pujo vacation. I hope this is the right thread to keep asking these questions.
I would say not. There are a number of threads for N. Bengal/ Darjeeling/ Sikkim/ Bhutan. Those are better bets. The current hot thread is the one on how to avoid NH34.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 10:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
...Just add to it another half an hour at the most.... the trucks and buses are not known to lower their high beams,....
Thanks you Sir. In fact I will be aiming to reduce at least 45min so that I can have a darshan of the Mother Goddess at Tarapith. As for high beams, I have my countermeasures to tackle those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
That excellent report was by Mr. Dhar, not me!
Indeed you are right Sir. Confusion rules at my end. My sincere apologies to Shri Dhar. The error was unintended.
Quote:
Think of it as a badly maintained district highway, which just happens to be called a NH. No L&O problems AFAIK, though it runs on the perimeter of a large coal mine.
Today I inquired from an Asansol based transporter friend who operates in the mines. He concurred with your view. That NH60 is just about “tipperable” right now.
Quote:
There are a number of threads for N. Bengal/ Darjeeling/ Sikkim/ Bhutan. Those are better bets. The current hot thread is the one on how to avoid NH34.
Agreed. Right now my sector involves the region which was discussed better in this thread. When I move towards North Bengal, I will post my queries in the related threads. This way I hope to stand a good chance of getting appropriate answers.

As for that NH34 avoiding thread, the verdict is still mixed. In any case I have to go to Tarapith. Is the stretch between Dubrajpur – Morgram so bad that that longer route via Bhagalpur is being contemplated? I may take it up while coming back.
drive_factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 09:33   #48
BHPian

Here is an update on NH 60 to Dubrajpur from NH 2. Some kind of patch work activity has started to level the pot holes. No too sure if it will get a top coat also.

This is per a commercial vehicle owner.
drive_factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 21:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Also used to be pretty narrow. As in a truck coming from the other side meant you had to almost completely get off the road.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Guys, new place opening soon, 3 hrs/130 kms drive north of Kolkata.
Details at Balakhana.com

This is a heritage weekend getaway.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 13:58   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post
there are many places around kolkata.
Massanjore
Mukutmanipur
Junput
chandipur
Ghatshila
Bishnupur
The links are not opening, could you pls help. I believe the links are expired.
StallionAmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:04   #52
BHPian

Hello Tbhp'ians.
Planning for a drive from Howrah to Mayapur to Tarapith and back on the weekend of 24-25 Dec. Will be using the Zoom Car this time. Hope the zoom car experience is as good as my trips in Bangalore.
However wanted to check the best route to be taken and approx travel times. Am I ok to rely on the google maps timings and routes?
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote