Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th November 2016, 17:35   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Himachal Pradesh by Winter

Quote:
personally a fan of Tirthan Valley and dont mind adding it to itenary if it ain't messing up other things. I just want to stay in some cottage by the stream and spend a night just listening to water gushing by
Try this sample itinerary in case you are fond of cottage, river and silent surroundings

Chandigarh - Thanedhar- 196 Kms / 6 hrs-
Thanedhar - Sangla- 165 Kms / 6 hrs
Sangla - Chitkul village visit and do Nagasthi walk- till first check post of Indian Army
Sangla- Rakcham hike; Signature walk of the valley
Sangla – Check out

http://www.banjaracamps.com/images/d...pdf/Sangla.pdf
http://www.banjaracamps.com/images/d...-pdf/Sojha.pdf
http://www.banjaracamps.com/images/d...f/Thanedar.pdf
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 21:08   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Try this sample itinerary in case you are fond of cottage, river and silent surroundings
Thanks Turbanator.....Thanedar looks pretty good and I would love to take a rain-check on these locations and would certainly visit them in near future

I have more or less finalized the Kangra-Manali-Tirthan Valley sector as some of my cousins who live in Chandigarh and Delhi might be joining us are voting for this itenary too
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 21:13   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Again for your wonderful inputs

1. I'm personally a fan of Tirthan Valley and dont mind adding it to itenary if it ain't messing up other things. I just want to stay in some cottage by the stream and spend a night just listening to water gushing by
+100

If I were you, I'd cancel everything else and spend the entire week in Tirthan Valley. We stayed at Banjara Camps, Shoja. The views from the place are to die for. If Jalori is open, you must try to get to the fort at the top of the mountain. We spent one full day looking for it. Couldn't reach. We got lost and had to find our way back from the middle of nowhere in pouring rain at 10000+ feet. Mad fun!

Quote:
2. Also, do you recommend making Kangra as base location or McLeodgunj? I mean book a hotel in base location for 2-3 days and visit the nearby places like Dharmasala, Palampur, Triund etc? Thoughts?

3. Finally, any hotels that you can recommend in all these places?
Having McLeodgunj as the base does make logistics for the Triund trek easy. Also, you wont have to worry about parking, that will be your hotel's problem. However, you will have to deal the the one-way situation twice every day for each excursion you make. Also, you will have to spend an extra 2 hours on the road the day you drive to Manali.

Personally, I found McLeodgunj rather overrated. It is too small, too crowded, gets too noisy and is too commercial. We spent one full day there and were actually glad to get back to Kangra in the evening.

Alternatively, there is a place called Dharamkot a few km after McLeodgunj. It is supposed to be less touristy and has some nice resorts. I haven't been there but have heard good things about it. This can be an option but again, the one-way timings problem remains. Also, Dharamkot to Manali will be a very long drive.

I don't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed in Kangra. Kangra is a small place and does not have fancy or boutique hotels. But as a thumb rule, room rates are about half of what you'll get in Dharamsala or McLeodgunj.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 29th November 2016 at 21:34.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 14:54   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
+100

If I were you, I'd cancel everything else and spend the entire week in Tirthan Valley. We stayed at Banjara Camps, Shoja. The views from the place are to die for. If Jalori is open, you must try to get to the fort at the top of the mountain. We spent one full day looking for it. Couldn't reach. We got lost and had to find our way back from the middle of nowhere in pouring rain at 10000+ feet. Mad fun!
My folks will kill me if I tell them we'll live in silence for a week as we are loud bunch

I briefly looked at the Banjara camp outfit and they seem to have a good thing going. Nice properties. Is the Shoja camp inside Tirthan valley?

Also, what is their tarrif? No mention on their website?

Quote:
Having McLeodgunj as the base does make logistics for the Triund trek easy. Also, you wont have to worry about parking, that will be your hotel's problem. However, you will have to deal the the one-way situation twice every day for each excursion you make. Also, you will have to spend an extra 2 hours on the road the day you drive to Manali.
Will decide between Mcleodgunj and Kangra for making it a base location for 3-4 days so we can take day trips from the base location to places around

Also, do you recommend staying a night in Palampur on way to Manali or just a passing by visit is good enough?

Quote:
Alternatively, there is a place called Dharamkot a few km after McLeodgunj. It is supposed to be less touristy and has some nice resorts. I haven't been there but have heard good things about it. This can be an option but again, the one-way timings problem remains. Also, Dharamkot to Manali will be a very long drive.
Will check out Dharamkot too. Thanks for the tip

How long is the drive from Dharamkot to Manali? 8 Hours? As would prefer not to drive for more than 8 hours in a single day in the mountains and all of it during day-time

Quote:
I don't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed in Kangra. Kangra is a small place and does not have fancy or boutique hotels. But as a thumb rule, room rates are about half of what you'll get in Dharamsala or McLeodgunj.
I love small places and actually not a fan of 5-stars/boutique hotels that I have stayed in plenty thanks to my travelling job.

I like as rustic as it gets so would love to stay in small but neat places
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 15:07   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I briefly looked at the Banjara camp outfit and they seem to have a good thing going. Nice properties. Is the Shoja camp inside Tirthan valley
hi, I suggested you same place only but via a different route

This is what I got in March though I could not go. You can try to negotiate as December will be a slow month Plus the recent Note Bandh effect

COSTS for 03 PAX includes (Morning Evening Tea, Break Fast Lunch and Dinner)
Banjara Orchards and Retreat: Thanedhar
Log hut: 8500 x 01 Nights x 01 Huts: INR 8500
Banjara Camps and Retreat: Sangla
River side cottage: 12500 x 03 Nights x 01 Hut: INR 37500
Extra Adult Cost in Banjara Properties: 3000 x 04 Nights x 01 Child: INR 12000

Ajay Thakur
+91-9599-48-1133
Banjara Camps & Retreats
A26, Nangal Devat, Behind Spinal Injuries Hospital,
Vasant Kunj, New Delhi- 110070
Phone: +91 11 65152334/5/6
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 18:56   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I briefly looked at the Banjara camp outfit and they seem to have a good thing going. Nice properties. Is the Shoja camp inside Tirthan valley?

Also, what is their tarrif? No mention on their website?
Shoja is not exactly in Tirthan Valley, but is near it. After you get off the Mandi-Manali highway at Aut, that road will bifurcate into two near Banjar. On the left, it goes along the river to Gushaini. The right goes up the hill towards Jalori. Shoja is near Jalori top, amidst a dense deodar forest. Gushaini to Shoja is barely 25km but the difference in altitude is stark. Shoja is at 9000 feet, Gushaini is about half.

The contact for Banjara is Mr Thakur, as has been mentioned in the other post. I repeat. The views from the property are to die for. Let me give you a couple of teaser pics.

Himachal Pradesh by Winter-dsc_0054.jpg
Himachal Pradesh by Winter-img_20140626_083417052_hdr.jpg

Quote:
Also, do you recommend staying a night in Palampur on way to Manali or just a passing by visit is good enough?
I'll say a passing visit is good enough.

Quote:
Will check out Dharamkot too. Thanks for the tip

How long is the drive from Dharamkot to Manali? 8 Hours? As would prefer not to drive for more than 8 hours in a single day in the mountains and all of it during day-time
Google says it is a little over 200km. That means 8 to 10 hours of driving. Personally, I'll recommend a 100% night drive in the mountains, provided you have an experienced co-driver. I used to be a 'drive in daylight only' guy, especially in the hills. Not anymore. I find night driving faster, safer and a lot less tiring.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 18:46   #172

Hi Guys,

Need some help with my itinerary and feasibility. I will be doing a road trip from Delhi to Himachal and back in a self drive rental. Following is my itinerary starting Jan 28.

Day 1: Reach Delhi. Drive To Amritsar
Day 2: Amritsar
Day 3: Amritsar to Dalhousie
Day 4: Dalhousie and around (Khajjar)
day 5: Dalhousie to Dharamsha
Day 6,7: Dharamshala and around
Day 8: Dharamshala to Manali
Day 9, 10, 11: Manali and around
Day 12: Manali to Delhi
Day 13: Delhi Agra
Day 14: Delhi
Day 15: To Mumbai

I am looking for suggestions for each sectors for road. I will be taking either Duster or Ecosport as a self drive rental from Delhi for the trip from Revv mostly. Open to suggestions on car and provider both.

Considering I will be driving during fag end of the winter, I would like some estimations on weather, snow, road blocks etc basis experience. Also what is the difficulty level of drive in Himachal sectors.

As far as my experience, Couple of Mumbai rajasthan long trips under my belt but thats more of a highway drive.

Thanks in advance.
kushalshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 21:36   #173
BHPian

Hi Friends. Need advice. Going for a weekend trip to Himachal from Delhi.The plan is to leave this Friday and return back on Monday. Idea is to do some snow driving and relax with good food and preferably some music (Soft party). Not looking for very quiet places. Shortlisted till now is Shimla and Manali. Which one would you guys recommend. Also please guide me on what route to take and expected time duration.Please also suggest a few good places to stay and nearby places to visit. This is my first trip towards that region in winters. I have been up to Mcleodganj and Dalhousi till now but it was in summers. Starting point is Gurgaon. Vehicle is my O'ranger (Duster AWD). Also is there any specific precaution we need to take and would it be ok to drive at night. Thanks and Regards

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 17th January 2017 at 21:41.
rajamuneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 15:45   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Shortlisted till now is Shimla and Manali. Which one would you guys recommend. Also please guide me on what route to take and expected time duration.Please also suggest a few good places to stay and nearby places to visit. Also is there any specific precaution we need to take and would it be ok to drive at night. Thanks and Regards
Gurgaon-Dhaula Kuan-NH1-Sonepat-Panipat-Karnal-Kurukshetra-Shahpur-(Diversion to Panchkula)-Ramgarh-Panchkula-(Right to Shimla)-Pinjore-Kalka-Parwanoo-Solan-Shimla.Should take you around 8-9hrs with breaks for breakfast and lunch.

Shimla-Manali: Shimla-Mandi-Bhunter-Kullu-Naggar-Manali

This is another 7-8hr drive.

Night drive is safe as long as you are confident of negotiating the hills in darkness,if you are not,then my reccomendation would be to stick to day time drives.

Manali-Delhi:

Mandi-Sundernagar-Bilaspur-Kiratpur-Shambhu Barrier-Delhi.Should take you anywhere between 12-14hrs of drive time.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 20:23   #175
BHPian

[quote=ranjitp1;4129975]Gurgaon-Dhaula Kuan-NH1-Sonepat-Panipat-Karnal-Kurukshetra-Shahpur-(Diversion to Panchkula)-Ramgarh-Panchkula-(Right to Shimla)-Pinjore-Kalka-Parwanoo-Solan-Shimla.Should take you around 8-9hrs with breaks for breakfast and lunch.

Thanks bro. Being from Kashmir hills are like home to me. So no issues driving at night I guess we will go only till Shimla and skip Manali for now. Time constraints doesn't allow longer drive sadly. Will keep all of you posted. Still need to finalize comfortable staying options in Shimla.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 21:36   #176
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Himachal Pradesh by Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalshah View Post
Hi Guys,

Day 1: Reach Delhi. Drive To Amritsar
Delhi-Amritsar will take you 8-9 hours. Picking up the car plus exiting Delhi depends on the location and time of pick up. Roads are good with plenty of food options en-route.

Quote:
Day 2: Amritsar
Day 3: Amritsar to Dalhousie
Do you plan to visit Wagah? If yes, I will suggest you to reach Wagah border much before the beating retreat starts if you plan to do it on a weekend, remember its a long weekend. You can visit Golden Temple once you return from Wagah, the area around the temple has been renovated and it's a must visit at night. There is a multi-level parking for Golden Temple which you can use to park your car overnight as well.

Quote:
Day 4: Dalhousie and around (Khajjar)
Amritsar to Dalhousie will take you approx. 5 hours. Good 4 lane roads till Pathankot, you can bypass Pathankot by taking NH-44 and then exiting NH-44 to take the Dharamshala road. Roads till Dalhousie are single laned and don't miss the right from Banikhet towards Dalhousie. Mark your hotel on the maps in Dalhousie as Dalhousie has one-way roads. Road till Khajjiar is full of potholes and is very narrow. You can expect snow on this road, be careful as when I was there in last week of December there was frozen ice on the road.

Quote:
day 5: Dalhousie to Dharamsha
Day 6,7: Dharamshala and around
Dalhousie to Dharamshala will take you around 3-3.5 hours.

Quote:
Day 8: Dharamshala to Manali
Roads till mandi via Palampur-Baijnath is superb and very scenic, do stop by and have tea at one of the tea gardens.

I would suggest you to take the Duster, it will keep the occupants more comfortable in the mountains and on bad roads. Drive slow in the hills, no need to rush, especially when you are new to the roads and most importantly give way to the uphill traffic on narrow roads.

Good that you will do Dalhousie/Dharamshala on a weekday, it a mess on weekends!

Tip: If you want to give a sign to the vehicle behind you that the road is clear ahead and is safe to overtake, just turn on your right indicator(only applicable in Himachal Pradesh).
sinharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 00:25   #177
BHPian

From the weather forecast, there is going to be Western Disturbance from 22nd Jan - 26th Jan. So, who all are driving to upper reaches of Himalayas please be prepared - carry your sleeping bags, foods and snacks, water, medicine, etc with you just in case of emergency.
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 11:25   #178
BHPian

Quick update friends. I ended up driving till Manali reached here in the morning. There is not even a millimetre of snow in Shimla. Manali only has some snow but the weather forecast for tomorrow is snow as well. It's been a very long drive but nevertheless an awesome one
Old 21st January 2017, 12:56   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Quick update friends. I ended up driving till Manali reached here in the morning. There is not even a millimetre of snow in Shimla. Manali only has some snow but the weather forecast for tomorrow is snow as well. It's been a very long drive but nevertheless an awesome one
I was there in Manali from 5th to 8th of January. There was no snow when we reached but had 3ft of snow in next two days
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 14:04   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I was there in Manali from 5th to 8th of January. There was no snow when we reached but had 3ft of snow in next two days

Hi. Well it didn't snow when I was there but the day after I left which was Monday morning it has snowed again.