Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd December 2008, 12:58   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, saw the scary news this morning. Toy train to Shimla derailed and 1 Killed and 6 injured. I was planning to try that experience, now i am not sure at all

@Watashi75, hope your alright dude?
There was one casualty in this - the exact cause for the derailment is not known, still railway officials are trying to figure out the root cause for it...

However - the trains were up & running by Sunday evening...
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:10   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, saw the scary news this morning. Toy train to Shimla derailed and 1 Killed and 6 injured. I was planning to try that experience, now i am not sure at all

Yeah, scary indeed. But if the service resumes, then please give it a try---it is a wonderful experience from Kalka to Shimla.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:59   #123
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry mate, go ahead and ride it. Accidents happen but they shouldnot prevent or scare you from enjoying what might be the best moments of your life. It is a safe railway system but recently problems have come up due to shoddy maintainence and faster trains.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 22:46   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Dont worry mate, go ahead and ride it. Accidents happen but they shouldnot prevent or scare you from enjoying what might be the best moments of your life. It is a safe railway system but recently problems have come up due to shoddy maintainence and faster trains.
That's quite heartening to see such encouragement.

I have booked a Tavera from Delhi-HP-Delhi. However, i am going to hop on to that train even if it means i am gonna travel between only 2 stations
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 15:14   #125
Senior - BHPian

@mobike: Take the train from either Kalka or Dharampur ( Ill prefer kalka because the train originates there, hence ease of planning and cordinating) and ride upto Barog. It has the best small quaint british era Railway Station.Have hte driver park at Barog and wait for you.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 06:44   #126
Team-BHP Support

The plains are very foggy. Started from ldh at 10:40pm, and reached 6am. Killer drive, my knuckles were white, and all the while I was searching for tail lamps to chase. Did entire run in 3rd 4th gear only, no chance of 5th
So if anybody plans to drive, account for fog, its really really bad on NH1
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 10:18   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its the same all over I guess. Scheduled to leave for Corbett tomorrow morning & I'm told its going to be real bad at Hapur .

I guess a twelve hour drive is in the offing instead of a six hour one......
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 10:25   #128
Senior - BHPian

Suman, update for you, Delhi. meerut . muzaffarnagar route was almost un-motorable this weekend due fog in the morning.

So please plan very well. If possible start a bit late when sun is out
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Its the same all over I guess. Scheduled to leave for Corbett tomorrow morning & I'm told its going to be real bad at Hapur .

I guess a twelve hour drive is in the offing instead of a six hour one......
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 14:22   #129
Team-BHP Support

Leave at around 8-10am and drive slowly. You will easily make it by evening.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:27   #130
BHPian

Default Himachal & 4x4 beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The plains are very foggy. Started from ldh at 10:40pm, and reached 6am. Killer drive, my knuckles were white, and all the while I was searching for tail lamps to chase. Did entire run in 3rd 4th gear only, no chance of 5th
Tanveer, at which place you finally went in Himachal? Do post your experience you had in the hills with the smashing 4x4 beast!
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 22:51   #131
Team-BHP Support

I went to Khajjiar, and did not do any offroading. However did have to engage 4x4L during a tricky U turn on a narrow mountain road when I had to literally climb the mountain wall
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:48   #132
Team-BHP Support

Guys, i had a great trip to HP expect the biggest disappointment was there was no snow at all anywhere in Himachal..sob sob !!!!

I was in Shimla, Kufri, Narkandha, Chail and Kasuali between Dec 24th to Dec 29th. And, unfortunately could not taste the toy train as I had booked an Indica for the entire tour.

@Tsk1979, we were heading back to Delhi from Chandigarh having started at Chandigarh at 7pm and we reached home at 3AM. I have never experienced such fog in my entire life, the traffic was almost bumper to bumper for entire 250kms and cannot see what is at both sides of the road ( had difficulty finding a dhaba for dinner) and there were a couple of scary pile-ups that we fractionally missed. I saw a Swift go completely under a truck from behind, it was really sad

I really wanted to catch up with you Delhi guys, but my schedule here is neck-breaking hectic meeting family who are all over delhi.

I had a fantastic holiday in Himachal and will be going back to Hyderabad tomorrow night.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:50   #133
BHPian

When are we getting to see some pics
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:34   #134
BHPian

The fog in Delhi is pretty bad. To give you an idea, this was clicked today at 1am in the heart of delhi. Even with all my lights blazing I could barely see 50mtrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Himachal Pradesh by Winter-img_8343_1.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh by Winter-img_8352_1.jpg  

Shakensoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 09:28   #135
BHPian

Quote:

We were in Delhi. We saw the news at night and we were supposed to take the train the very next day. We were unsure whether to take the train but coincidentally our tickets did not get confirmed and so we took a taxi to Shimla.

We did Delhi-Shimla-Manali-Khajjiar-Dharamsala-Delhi. The biggest disappointment was the lack of snow. More so since it snowed in Shimla just as we reached home. Ours isn't exactly a car travelog and we stuck mainly to the tourist circuit. Will contribute the pictures once somebody starts an appropriate thread.

Fog in Delhi is at one of its worst. People had blinkers on all the time. However I am not sure if it is a good practice since everyone has a tendency to follow the blinkers. On the expressway it is slightly better since there were reflectors on the lane separators.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote