Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th November 2008, 06:49   #1
BHPian

Default Route Help Required Hosur to Shabarimalai

Hi Friends,

I have planned a Trip to Shabarimalai Temple. We are group of five friends (Swamies) including myself in my Esteem starting on on Nov 24th 08 night not sure about the timings probably after Irumudi. We are planning to visit Guruvayur, Chottanikkara, Shabarimalai and Palani Temples.

I need a complete route map for all those destinations. I will be starting from HOSUR (Tamilnadu).

Regards
Bhargava.S.R
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 09:07   #2
BHPian

The best and (relatively) traffic free route would be Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Oddanchatram - Kannivadi - Sembatti - Batlagundu - Periyakulam - Theni -Kambam - Kumily - Mundakayam - Erumely - Sabarimala..

There is another route which deviates after Kumily but then it passes through some dense forest and you might need a 4*4 for this..

Hence my suggestion would be the one that I have posted. On this route, Hosur to Sabarimala is approx 610 kms.... Roads are excellent till Erumely as I have just returned back from my home town (Manimala) in this route. Erumely to Sabarimalai should also be fine as they always keep this stretch well maintained...
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 09:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hi Bhargava, welcome to TBHP.
You posted this query in the wrong section. It should have been under the Route/Queries section.

Mods, plz do the needful.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 09:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Route would be as follows:

Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor

Guruvayoor-Trissur-Ernakulam/Cochin-Chottanikara

Chottanikara-Tripunitura-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam

The last mile depends on which entrance of Sabarimalai you will take - Erumeli route or Pamba route. If it is ERumeli, go to Kanjirapalli, and if it is Pamba go via Chengannur. All roads lead to Sabarimala in Dec-Jan.

On the return, you can go to Palani:

Sabarimala-Kottayam-Muvattupuzha-Perumbavoor-Angamali-Trissur (bypass)-Palakkad (bypass)-Gopalapuram-Pollachi-Udumalaipet-Palani

Palani-Dharapuram-Gangeyam-Perunthurai-Bhavani-Mettur-Toppur-Dharampuri-Krishnagiri
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 02:03   #5
BHPian

Hey Kumar/Joe Thanks for Info,

Kumar How is the Road condition for the route which you have mentioned, hope I can manage with my Esteem or do I really need a 4x4 ???
This will be my first long trip planned in my car and also first time towards Kerala so trying to gather more information to pass through correct routes.
Old 13th November 2008, 08:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Hey Kumar/Joe Thanks for Info,

Kumar How is the Road condition for the route which you have mentioned, hope I can manage with my Esteem or do I really need a 4x4 ???
This will be my first long trip planned in my car and also first time towards Kerala so trying to gather more information to pass through correct routes.
There is NO 4x4 stuff in what hvkumar posted.
All are proper roads.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 10:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

All roads lead to Sabarimala during Dec/Jan. Roads will be impeccable. Only problem is parking - you may have to walk up to 10 kms from your parking slot in peak Sabarimala pilgrim season.
Old 13th November 2008, 13:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Hi Friends,

I have planned a Trip to Shabarimalai Temple. We are group of five friends (Swamies) including myself in my Esteem starting on on Nov 24th 08 night not sure about the timings probably after Irumudi. We are planning to visit Guruvayur, Chottanikkara, Shabarimalai and Palani Temples.

I need a complete route map for all those destinations. I will be starting from HOSUR (Tamilnadu).

Regards
Bhargava.S.R
@hvkumar

There is no need to go upto Chengannur to drive to Pamba - the Kanjirapilly route through Erumeli has this new road which goes upto Nilakkal and from there onto Pamba.

Bhargava - if you're travelling during season you wont have any trouble finding Sabarimala, all the routes will be very clearly marked and in any cases there will be hundreds of other vehicles that you can conveniently follow once you're into Kanjirapilly.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you take a driver along. It is not recommended that you leave your car parked without anyone to look over it, and in any case the parking area is in Nilakkal which is about 20 kms from Pampa - your driver can drop you at Pampa and drive back to Nilakkal.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 22:00   #9
BHPian

i would advice you to take a driver with you as many has nightmarish experience with respect to leaving the vehicle and finding it again
magesh_kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 23:22   #10
BHPian

I'd also suggest you go with a driver. In that way, if he cannot park the car, he can just go a few kms away and then wait till you call him on mobile. Most carriers have coverage in that area.
Since you are going early during the pilgrimage season, try to get darshan during early morning. The temple is at a distance of about 4km from Pampa. It should take you about 2 or 3 hours to get to the top. If the crowds are less then you have your darshan and reach back at Pampa within a span of 5 to 6 hours. If time is not a constraint then you will have no problems
Happy darshan.

@Steeroid: I thought there was a parking area near Pampa. Has that now been moved? I have not gone for the past two years....

Last edited by srijit : 17th November 2008 at 23:24.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 15:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I thought there was a parking area near Pampa. Has that now been moved? I have not gone for the past two years....
Yes, Parking area is there in Pampa. But in this season you will not get any place there. Infact you wont be allowed to drive till Pampa, but would be asked to park in Nilakkal.

Bhargava, As Steeriod has mentioned, the best possible thing would be to have a driver so that he can drop you people at Pampa and wait at Nilakkal for your call once you reach back. There is even a facility in Pampa, wherein you can give your vehicle details and the same will be announced at Nilakkal for your driver.

Otherthan this parking trouble, it makes sense to have a driver as you all would be too tired to drive once you reach back at Papma after darshana.

Edit: I am not sure if all mobile networks are available in that region. I remember Airtel was not available (atleast for me) but Hutch was, last year.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 18th November 2008 at 15:05.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 22:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

No need to come to Thrippunithura to go to Kottayam from Chottanikkara. You can (a) come down to a place called Thiruvankulam on CHottanikara - Thrippunithrua road, and take a right turn towards Muvattupuzha (ie., MC road) and proceed to Sabarimala from there or (b) take the road to Kanjiramattom - Thalayolaparambu - Ettumanoor and join MC Road from here.

During season, every 3rd vehicle in Kerala would be one going towards Sabarimala.

Be prepared for a 3 hour minimum queue at Guruvayoor - unless you reach here late evening / night (after 7 PM) or early morning - before 4 AM.

And in case you are really interested in hvkumar's suggestion of taking Palani on return route, no need to go beyond Muvattupuzha - you can go via Munnar. ;-) (search the forum for B'lore - Munnar route info).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 22:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And in case you are really interested in hvkumar's suggestion of taking Palani on return route, no need to go beyond Muvattupuzha - you can go via Munnar. ;-) (search the forum for B'lore - Munnar route info).
Just 2 points here:
- Route via Munnar will mean you land in the TN plains at Udumalaipet and go to Palani from there - 35 kms
- Some Ayyappas go to temples at Kulathupuzha/ Aryankavu (between Kollam and Tenmala), if you do that, you can exit Kerala via Tenmala, Aryankavu to Schencottah, Tenkasi, Srivilliputtur, Rajapalayam, Madurai, Sembatti and Ottanchatram.
Old 19th November 2008, 02:09   #14
BHPian

Default Route help - Adding more places

Hi Friends,

Adding to my Shabarimalai trip, we have also planned to visit Kanyakumari, Rameshwaram,Tiruchandur and Madurai. Now we are only group of four will be visiting the below mentioned places -

Starting on 24th Monday at 8PM from Hosur-Guruvayur -chottanikara-Shabarimalai-Kanyakumari (need to reach Kanyakumari by 26th evening to watch Sunset and 27th sunrise) - Rameshawaram - Tiruchandur - Madurai - Palani - Hosur

Thats the plan currently decided, Now friends please help me with the Route details, I want to know which place comes first so that Iam saving on time and fuel. I need to come back to hosur on 29th Evening.
Iam not sure if we can cover all Eight places in four days ????
Old 19th November 2008, 04:56   #15
BHPian

Default Route help - planning to visit few more places

Hi Friends,

Adding to my Shabarimalai trip, we have also planned to visit Kanyakumari, Rameshwaram,Tiruchandur and Madurai. Now we are only group of four will be visiting the below mentioned places -

Starting on 24th Monday at 8PM from Hosur-Guruvayur -chottanikara-Shabarimalai-Kanyakumari (need to reach Kanyakumari by 26th evening to watch Sunset and 27th sunrise) - Rameshawaram - Tiruchandur - Madurai - Palani - Hosur

Thats the plan currently decided, Now friends please help me with the Route details, I want to know which place comes first so that Iam saving on time and fuel. I need to come back to hosur on 29th Evening.
Iam not sure if we can cover all Eight places in four days ????