Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th November 2009, 16:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Tank up at Salem

Also, if you wan to refill, please do so at Salem. You will have more options.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

... give way to up going vehicles.
come back with some snaps as Yercaud is a place in my list to visit.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 17:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
while descending 1st or max 2nd gear ! Never switch off your engine while coming down
I never quite understood the logic behind this, someone please explain. Why should you not shift to neutral while going down? And also, when you are in lower gear, irrespective of uphill or downhill, the rpm rises too much, isn't this harmful? Also, what is engine braking, will it harm the engine?
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 18:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I never quite understood the logic behind this, someone please explain. Why should you not shift to neutral while going down?
Hey Sachin, it is very dangerous to do this. In neutral or in higher gears, there are two things.
1) You are not in control of the car, as much as you would be in lower gears.
2) Engine braking - to take the load off your brakes. Engine braking happens when the engine actually slows down the wheels instead of speeding it up. To try it, just take your foot off the clutch & accelerator pedal while 1st or 2nd is engaged.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 18:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, some of the turns on nandi hills are sharper than yercaud, so if you've done nandi hills you can do yercaud easily.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 22:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Also stick to your lane while negotiating the bends, I mean take the full curve while turning and dont just cut across.
+1
This is the number one rule while driving in the hills. But don't expect the bloke coming coming towards you to know this .
Second is not to rely on your breaks while descending and use engine braking instead.
And please let the faster guy behind you get ahead. Don't hold up traffic behind you, it can get very dangerous for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I never quite understood the logic behind this, someone please explain. Why should you not shift to neutral while going down? And also, when you are in lower gear, irrespective of uphill or downhill, the rpm rises too much, isn't this harmful? Also, what is engine braking, will it harm the engine?
This should get you going Brake fade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The idea is not to rely solely on the brakes and instead make a judicious use of both the natural engine braking and wheel braking. You don't just shift down to second and let the engine rev to the red line, but brake simultaneously to keep the revs in the acceptable range. This way you are in full control of the vehicle all the time.

Dude if you still are not convinced, please listen the experience of many people on this forum. You could be putting many lives in danger otherwise.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 17th November 2009 at 08:57. Reason: See note in post
bullinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 00:27   #22
BHPian

Am I missing something here ,The thread was started exactly a year ago and the replies seem to be pouring in after a year
veeru27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 08:16   #23
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeru27 View Post
Am I missing something here ,The thread was started exactly a year ago and the replies seem to be pouring in after a year
But the bends still exits, don't they?
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 08:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeru27 View Post
It all started from the post below .

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
IMO, Please do not trail the heavy vehicles, They may move to the extreme in the turning which may look scary for you so, Keep a safe distance between vehicles...

10000 Kms of driving is more than enough.. I climbed the 1st mountain when i was just 800 Kms driven on road, But that was the safest mountain i have seen ever (Tirupati).

Bon Voyage !! Post some snaps...
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 09:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
IMHO, some of the turns on nandi hills are sharper than yercaud, so if you've done nandi hills you can do yercaud easily.
Yes, especially the last two turns that take you to the top. If you were able to go up Nandi Hills without a problem, Yercaud should be a breeze !

Yes, no one including me seems to have noticed the change in year ! Well spotted, Veeru27 !

Last edited by kannan666 : 17th November 2009 at 09:05.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 09:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think "COUNT" has already gone to this place 1 years back to be precise and as "WIND" tells the bend still exists. So the moral of the story is to catch "COUNT" and ask him for a review
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:24   #27
BHPian

@ wind - Yep! The bends do exist .

The roads have changed considerably in the past one year and are continuously evolving. But there are still some problem spots in certain hairpin bends.

I travel to yercaud on a daily basis for the last 6 years, I will try to compile a pictorial navigation guide with some pics. Please let me have your suggestions and guidance,as it'll be my first guide.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert here. I can only offer my opinions based on what I have observed during my drive for the last few years.

If any TBHPian, needs any help at Yercaud, I am available to help. Do PM me.

Cheers!
veeru27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
I think "COUNT" has already gone to this place 1 years back to be precise and as "WIND" tells the bend still exists. So the moral of the story is to catch "COUNT" and ask him for a review
Review already posted
Please find it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...03-2009-a.html (Getz to Yercaud - January 03, 2009)
Count is offline   Reply With Quote