Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th November 2008, 21:53   #1
BHPian

Default Bangalore to Manjeshwar (Via Madikeri) - Road Conditions

With the way things are going on in my professional life, its high-time that I prayed and prayed hard!!!

Planning to visit the Anantheshwar Temple at Manjeshwar on the 19th or 20th of Nov '08. Route planned is:

Bangalore - Neelamangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan (Bye-Pass) - Sakleshpur - Shiradi Ghats - Gundiya- Mangalore - Manjeshwar (NH17)

Any updates on road conditions or anything to watch out for is appreciated.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 15:41   #2
BHPian

Unni,

The Bangalore->Srirangapatna->Hunsur->Madikeri->Sullia->Jalsoor->Kasargod->Manjeshwar route is ideal for you. Roads are excellent till Kushalnagar(around 230km from Bangalore). Kushalnagar to Madikeri is decent and Madikeri to Sullia is a hell of a lot better than Sakleshpur-Gundya.Sullia to Kasargod via Jalsoor is excellent from what i have heard. Would be around 15km extra but is really worth it. You can avoid the Bangalore->Nelamangala traffic and roads, traffic till Sakleshpur, bad roads(if you can call that a road!!!) in the Shiradi ghats, horribly ditched roads from Gundya to Mangalore and also Mangalore roads and traffic. You will save on fuel as well as time and the drive will be a lot more peaceful and incident-free.

The route will be Bangalore-Srirangapatna(Take a right turn onto the road that goes to Ranganthittu from here. A signboard when Srirangapatna ends is where you have to take the right turn.It connects to a place called Elwala on the Mysore-Hunsur road)-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri-Sampaje Ghats-Sullia(Take left from checkpost. Ask for Jalsoor or road to Kasargod)-Jalsoor-Kasargod-Manjeshwar. Hope this helps.
Taz-On-The-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 16:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

What about the direct road from Suliya/Puttur to Manjeshwar? Why touch Kasargod at all? Heard also that roads beyond Suliya towards Puttur are in a bad shape - any improvement?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 17:41   #4
BHPian

The road from Sullia to Puttur is in a better shape than it was about 3 months back. It has some really nice relaid smooth sections of about 3kms each followed by around 200 metres of bad to potholed roads. But none of it is too alarming. There is a district road that leads left from Kabaka(just on the outskirts of Puttur) that leads to Manjeshwar via a place called Kanyana. Not too sure about the condition of this road though. Generally the smaller roads around these parts are not too well maintained hence it would be a risk to take these roads without prior information. Regarding the road via Jalsoor, one of my friends who had been there vouched for it and also one of the forum members on the Bangalore-Mangalore road info had recommended it.
Taz-On-The-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 01:53   #5
BHPian

Thanks Taz for the info.

I was told about this route by HVK, but had not considered due to the distance involved. Thought it was about 50km or so more than the M'lore route.

The trip has been postponed due to death of a close relative. I've saved the route for use when I go few weeks later. Thanks again.
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:52   #6
BHPian

Will be doing this trip on 3rd or 4th Dec '08.

The route will be Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sullia - Jalsoor - Kasargod - Manjeshwar.

Any info on road conditions are welcome

Mods: Can you change the thread title to "B'lore to Manjeshwar (Via Madikeri) - Road Conditions"
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:10   #7
BHPian

I'll be leaving B'lore by abt 1pm tomorrow. Taking 8hrs of drive time with breaks, I'll reach Kasargod by about 9pm.

Can someone advice on a hotel in Kasargod since I'm travelling with family.
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
The route will be Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sullia - Jalsoor - Kasargod - Manjeshwar.

Any info on road conditions are welcome
Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Kushalnagar road condition is good. Kushalnagar - Madikeri has stretches which are bad. Madikeri onwards is horrible. Small stretches of good road and then long stretches of extremely bad roads. I travelled on this stretch on 9th Oct 08. You will see this bad road conditions on the Madikeri-Sullia stretch, unless the PWD has made a miracle in repairing it so quickly. I have not travelled on the Sullia - Manjeshwar stretch and hence cannot comment.

Regarding hotels in Kasargod, try this link Kasargod hotels,resorts and homestays.Details of Kasargod Tourism They give the hotel name with the tariff range also. Hope this will be useful.

Have a safe trip and enjoyable journey.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
prabhusati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 04:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Madikeri onwards is horrible. Small stretches of good road and then long stretches of extremely bad roads. I travelled on this stretch on 9th Oct 08. You will see this bad road conditions on the Madikeri-Sullia stretch, unless the PWD has made a miracle in repairing it so quickly.

Have a safe trip and enjoyable journey.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu

Uh oh. :-( I thought the roads are good and hence decided on the Madikeri route instead of the Mangalore one. Mangalore roads are bad as well.

Thanks Satish for the link and well wishes.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:25   #10

Default Bangalore - Kasargod best route is via Madikkeri at present

This week I travelled from Kasargod to B'lore and back via Madikkeri. Comparing to Shiradi Ghat Road, this is the best option for travel from Bangalore to Kasargod - Kanhangad areas.

Bangalore to Kushal Nagar via Mandya, Srirangapatna, Hunsur is excellent road.

Kushal Nagar to Madikkeri - in bad shape - will take almost 1 hour for 30 Kms.

Madikkeri to Sampaje - Another 25 Kms - not too good. In bad shape at isolated stretches. Potholes are covered recently.

Sampaje to Jalsoor - 30 Kms - Good road - Recently black topped except for 3 Kms.

Jalsoor - Mulleria - Cherkala - Kasargod - 50 Kms - Excellent Road but with lot of curves. Can cover with 1 hour.

During night driving after 10 PM, it is hard to find any coffee/tea shops between Kushal Nagar and Kasargod.
bskumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 19:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskumar View Post
This week I travelled from Kasargod to B'lore and back via Madikkeri. Comparing to Shiradi Ghat Road, this is the best option for travel from Bangalore to Kasargod - Kanhangad areas.

Bangalore to Kushal Nagar via Mandya, Srirangapatna, Hunsur is excellent road.

Kushal Nagar to Madikkeri - in bad shape - will take almost 1 hour for 30 Kms.

Madikkeri to Sampaje - Another 25 Kms - not too good. In bad shape at isolated stretches. Potholes are covered recently.

Sampaje to Jalsoor - 30 Kms - Good road - Recently black topped except for 3 Kms.

Jalsoor - Mulleria - Cherkala - Kasargod - 50 Kms - Excellent Road but with lot of curves. Can cover with 1 hour.

During night driving after 10 PM, it is hard to find any coffee/tea shops between Kushal Nagar and Kasargod.
When I did the same stretch in December, the roads from Kushal Nagar up till Jalsoor was bad. Great to know that pot-holes have been covered.
Old 12th November 2009, 15:27   #12
BHPian

Reviving this thread. Planning to do a trip over this weekend (14th-15th Nov 09).

Any updates on this route: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sullia - Jalsoor - Kasargod - Manjeshwar

Has the stretch just before Madikeri been done up? It was really bad when I had gone through that route last.

Thanks in advance.

Link to my last trip throught this route: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ple-visit.html (B’lore to Manjeshwar – Temple Visit)

Last edited by unni.ak : 12th November 2009 at 15:44. Reason: Link added
Old 25th November 2009, 09:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Default Madikeri to Sullia road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Reviving this thread. Planning to do a trip over this weekend (14th-15th Nov 09).

Any updates on this route: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sullia - Jalsoor - Kasargod - Manjeshwar

Has the stretch just before Madikeri been done up? It was really bad when I had gone through that route last.

Thanks in advance.

Link to my last trip throught this route: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ple-visit.html (B’lore to Manjeshwar – Temple Visit)
Hello Unni, & other BHPians,
How was your experience of road conditions to Sullia? I am planning to drive down to Mangalore in my Scorpio next week. Do you think the Madikeri route is better compared to the Shiradi Ghat option? Your inputs would really help me, since I am travelling with my family. Thanks !
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 10:24   #14
BHPian

Hi all,

Compared to Shiradi Ghat road... Any day Madikeri route is a better.. But the Mysore - Madekeri - Puttur is quite Narrow.. If you are driving this stretch at night be careful of Volvo buses coming from Mangalore at brake neck speeds in this narrow roads.

There is one more route which is a bit longer. If you want to avoid Madikeri route.

Blore - Nelmangala - Hassan - Belur - Kottighehara - Charmadi Ghat - Ujre- BC Road - Mangalore - Manjeshwar.

Last edited by kadri007 : 25th November 2009 at 10:44.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 15:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hello Unni, & other BHPians,
How was your experience of road conditions to Sullia? I am planning to drive down to Mangalore in my Scorpio next week. Do you think the Madikeri route is better compared to the Shiradi Ghat option? Your inputs would really help me, since I am travelling with my family. Thanks !
Madikeri route gets my vote. Kushal Nagar to Madikeri and onwards till end of the ghats are bad. After that roads are good. With a Scorpio, you wont have much difficulty in the stretches were road construction is going on between Kushal Nagar and Madikeri.