Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 18:09   #166
BHPian
 
vinucv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MAA / KTYM
Posts: 116
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Folks, travelled to guruvayur from bangalore yesterday. Took mysore, nanjangud and gundalpet route, managed to reach gundalpet in around 4 odd hours. Made the big mistake of proceeding via sultan bathery . Roads in bandipur are bad/patchy but navigable.
Hi cyberwhizs, I am planning to have a trip from Mysore to Calicut and was thinking of taking the Bathery route to avoid crossing the Kerala /TN border (guess gudalur is in TN). So do you think, given the current situations along the state borders, it is worth taking the risk of going via bathery? I will be going in a mahindra Xylo along with my family during daytime . Would prfer to avoid the other road if the roads are just doable with a xylo

Appreciate your advice
vinucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:52   #167
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 1,540 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi cyberwhizs, I am planning to have a trip from Mysore to Calicut and was thinking of taking the Bathery route to avoid crossing the Kerala /TN border (guess gudalur is in TN). So do you think, given the current situations along the state borders, it is worth taking the risk of going via bathery? I will be going in a mahindra Xylo along with my family during daytime . Would prfer to avoid the other road if the roads are just doable with a xylo

Appreciate your advice
Vinu,here is the latest.better to stick to the Gudalur-Nilambur-Kozhikode route.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2609002
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 21:26   #168
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 186
Thanked: 76 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi cyberwhizs, I am planning to have a trip from Mysore to Calicut and was thinking of taking the Bathery route to avoid crossing the Kerala /TN border (guess gudalur is in TN). So do you think, given the current situations along the state borders, it is worth taking the risk of going via bathery? I will be going in a mahindra Xylo along with my family during daytime . Would prfer to avoid the other road if the roads are just doable with a xylo

Appreciate your advice
See ranjith's response above. The roads between bathery and calicut were really bad when i went a couple of months ago. You will not be able to make good speeds in this section. Any specific reason you dont want to cross to TN border, is it because it is a yellow plate? Am not sure for a Xylo but for a small car - indica it costs around 300Rs for road tax/permit which is valid for 3 days and it is worth the money.

Hope this helps.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:36   #169
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 1,540 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs
See ranjith's response above. The roads between bathery and calicut were really bad when i went a couple of months ago. You will not be able to make good speeds in this section. Any specific reason you dont want to cross to TN border, is it because it is a yellow plate? Am not sure for a Xylo but for a small car - indica it costs around 300Rs for road tax/permit which is valid for 3 days and it is worth the money.

Hope this helps.
His worry is about the border blocks thanks to the dam issue.

Vinu no problems at any place except the bodi theni route.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:57   #170
BHPian
 
vinucv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MAA / KTYM
Posts: 116
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Thanks cyberwhizs , ranjit. My only concern is the simmering situation in the borders due to Dam issue. Anyways I plan to travel on 24th December and hope better sense will prevail on both sides and the situation will improve by that time.

btw, mine is a TN registered private vehicle
vinucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 11:27   #171
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 596
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Planning to drive down to guruvayur tomorrow, Can some one suggest a good route ? I have one extra day in my hand, so if possible I also would like to extend my journey and visit some additional place. Please advice
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 11:36   #172
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,788
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Planning to drive down to guruvayur tomorrow, Can some one suggest a good route ? I have one extra day in my hand, so if possible I also would like to extend my journey and visit some additional place. Please advice
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-CBE(by-pass)-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kecherri-Chondal-GVR

link

Or

Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-CBE(by-pass)-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam-GVR

However this option is 100km longer than the one via Mysore.
(Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattamabi-Kunnamkulam-GVR

But this sectors has ghats, twisties and heavy traffic.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 12:36   #173
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 596
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
However this option is 100km longer than the one via Mysore.
(Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattamabi-Kunnamkulam-GVR

But this sectors has ghats, twisties and heavy traffic.
Probably I will take this route. Is there any other place near by to visit in and around ?
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 13:02   #174
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,788
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Probably I will take this route. Is there any other place near by to visit in and around ?
The drive itself is beautiful. Pattambi-Perithalmanna section has heavy traffic.
Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna is the green section.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 13:09   #175
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 1,540 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Probably I will take this route. Is there any other place near by to visit in and around ?
You could visit Mammiyoor Temple / Punnathur Kota(elephant santorium) / Chettuva Backwater boating.While at Guruvayur,you could also visit the Venkatachalapathi temple(tirupati balaji temple in kerala style!),parthasarathy temple.both are 5 mins from the main krishna temple.you could also go to chavakkad beach,be there around 5 in the evening when the fishermen return to see the fresh catch of the day.its quite a rustic beach
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:23   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could visit Mammiyoor Temple / Punnathur Kota(elephant santorium) / Chettuva Backwater boating.While at Guruvayur,you could also visit the Venkatachalapathi temple(tirupati balaji temple in kerala style!),parthasarathy temple.both are 5 mins from the main krishna temple.you could also go to chavakkad beach,be there around 5 in the evening when the fishermen return to see the fresh catch of the day.its quite a rustic beach
If you are more inclined to temples, you can visit Thriprayar and Kodungallur temples. These will be right on NH-17 and you will go via Chettuva (just after Chavakkadu where you will join NH-17 while going south from Guruvayur).
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:26   #177
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 596
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
If you are more inclined to temples, you can visit Thriprayar and Kodungallur temples. These will be right on NH-17 and you will go via Chettuva (just after Chavakkadu where you will join NH-17 while going south from Guruvayur).
I am Ok with any thing, I am thinking how and where can I visit on Saturday... assume that till Friday I will be at GURUVAYUR, the next day I want to go some other places
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:32   #178
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-CBE(by-pass)-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kecherri-Chondal-GVR

link

Or

Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-CBE(by-pass)-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam-GVR
Shoranur->Ottupura Junction(just before Wadakancherry and immediately after a railway overbridge)->Erumapetti->Pannithadam->Kunnamkulam->GVR will be a better option. Maybe Ranjit can confirm this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
However this option is 100km longer than the one via Mysore.
(Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattamabi-Kunnamkulam-GVR

But this sectors has ghats, twisties and heavy traffic.
Again, for better roads (Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattamabi is very rough and 'effectively' narrow at places), I would suggest Nilambur->Manjeri->Malappuram->Kottakkal(join NH-17)->Kuttippuram->Edappal->Kunnamkulam->Guruvayur. Will take roughly 2 hours for Nilambur->Guruvayur sector. I usually do Bangalore->Nilambur in about 6 hours + 1 hour of food break at Kamat Madhuvan just after exiting Mysore city.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:43   #179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I am Ok with any thing, I am thinking how and where can I visit on Saturday... assume that till Friday I will be at GURUVAYUR, the next day I want to go some other places
There is Cherai beach as well just south of Kodungallur. The beach and the sorrounding water bodies in the Cherai village is lovely. Please check out the photos in www.cheraibeachresorts.com and what I like about the resort (apart from all the usual reasons) is that they have not destroyed any vegetation or water bodies and some of their cottages are apparently stationary house boats as well. Maybe you can start early morning from Guruvayur, then visit Thriprayar and Kodungallur temples in the morning. Then, proceed to Cherai beach and I guess you get good lunch, esp. sea-food items, in the resorts and then put on your beach costumes leaving the car behind in the resort. Explore the area with the resort as your base. If you are not keen on food from the resort, you will have some options on the NH-17 itself.
If you want a totally different option, try Athirapally waterfalls (Niagra of Kerala) where recently Raavan(Mani Rathnam movie with Abhishek & Aiswarya) was shot. Others can guide you with more details to this place as I have not gone there for loooooong now.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 18:00   #180
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,788
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Again, for better roads (Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattamabi is very rough and 'effectively' narrow at places), I would suggest Nilambur->Manjeri->Malappuram->Kottakkal(join NH-17)->Kuttippuram->Edappal->Kunnamkulam->Guruvayur. Will take roughly 2 hours for Nilambur->Guruvayur sector. I usually do Bangalore->Nilambur in about 6 hours + 1 hour of food break at Kamat Madhuvan just after exiting Mysore city.

I knew you would say that! I did not refer that because I was not sure, if @arin would be able to find that way easily.

But @arin as Ajit says that's the better option with good roads.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Nilambur - Malappuram - Kottakkal - Edapal - Guruvayur sijesh Travelogues 34 3rd November 2016 21:57
Travelogue: Bangalore - Wayanad - Guruvayur DrVjy Travelogues 9 17th October 2014 13:48
One Full Tank on my Black Beauty: Bangalore - Guruvayur -Bangalore: Verna CRDI SX VarunM Travelogues 18 4th May 2012 22:43
Bangalore-Guruvayur-Alleppey-Bangalore Route blackdiesel Route / Travel Queries 1 26th October 2011 13:08
Chennai to Guruvayur nitrous Route / Travel Queries 1 4th July 2008 19:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks