Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th February 2013, 17:22   #226
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Has any one tried the stretch Avinashi - Palladam recently? or Perumanallur - Tirupur - Palladam?

This is for a passthrough @ 7-7:30 AM time with googlemaps navigation.
Attached Images

arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 17:46   #227
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I did Bangalore - Guruvayur over the weekend ...
I follwed the same route in reverse and after Kangeyam, instead of going to Perundarai and then getting on to NH47, I took left on the road to Uthukulli and reached NH47. The roads is almost a complete bliss until you reach Krishnagiri after which its a nightmare with constructions going on. So here is my suggestions for people driving to Guruvayur. Go all the way till chengapalli. At chengapalli do not take the flyover but go down and take a left towards Uthukulli and drive to Kangayam. After Kangeyam take right towards Palladam and then left towards Pollachi and then follow the Alathur - Pazhanur strech. The entire drive was stress free.

Bangalore - Chengapalli (NH47 till here) - Uthukulli (4Km off NH47) - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Pazhanur - Vadakencherry - Kecheri - Guruvayur.
Thanks! This is useful information so now we have an alternate for Perundurai-Kangeyam. Some questions:
1.When travelling from Bangalore - At Chengapalli, the left turn off to Uthukuli is before the toll or after the toll ? And is it well marked ?

2.From Uthukuli where does the road join at Kangeyam (near bus stand ?) ?

3.Kecheri-Guruvayoor is via Amala Cancer centre, Sobha City, Punkunnam ? Or did you take any other route ?

Last edited by NPV : 27th February 2013 at 17:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 18:43   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks! This is useful information so now we have an alternate for Perundurai-Kangeyam. Some questions:
1.When travelling from Bangalore - At Chengapalli, the left turn off to Uthukuli is before the toll or after the toll ? And is it well marked ?
I see in Google maps that you dont need to go till Chengapalli, but can get on to NH47 at Vijayamangalam.

Route Link

Dont know, if thats what he took.

As I had also mentioned in another thread, there is way to bypass Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

Dharmapuri-Palacode-Vellichandai-Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attebele. !

Route Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Isn't the route you described for Kechery to Trichur ? To get to Guruvayoor from Kechery you have to travel in the opposite direction - towards Kunnamkulam. Then take a left at Choondal, that road will take you straight to Guruvayoor East nada.

+1. Thanks for that. Even I wanted to ask same. Its the same Trichur-Kecheri-Choondal road, where one takes left to GVR.

Last edited by ampere : 27th February 2013 at 19:06.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 18:48   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3.Kecheri-Guruvayoor is via Amala Cancer centre, Sobha City, Punkunnam ? Or did you take any other route ?
Isn't the route you described for Kechery to Trichur ? To get to Guruvayoor from Kechery you have to travel in the opposite direction - towards Kunnamkulam. Then take a left at Choondal, that road will take you straight to Guruvayoor East nada.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 19:59   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like Kala said,Kecheri to GVR would be right at Kecheri junction and then left at Choondal junction.

And to get to Kecheri,while coming from Wadakancheri,take a right and cross the Parlikad Railway gate(the gate after you cross WKI railway station and is located at the point where the bypass road takes you towards Athani).Cross the gate and keep on the road for 3-4kms and at Velapaya Road Junction take a right to go towards Kecheri.This is if the gate is open

http://goo.gl/maps/QUtNx

If the gate is closed,continue on the bypass for a km and take a right to connect to the same road by taking the bridge across the railway line.

http://goo.gl/maps/cwatO
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 21:49   #231
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I see in Google maps that you dont need to go till Chengapalli, but can get on to NH47 at Vijayamangalam.

As I had also mentioned in another thread, there is way to bypass Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

Dharmapuri-Palacode-Vellichandai-Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attebele. !
I think the toll is actually at Vijayamangalam and not Chengapalli (which is ~10Km further from the toll when going from Bangalore) so @SR-71 must have taken the road near Vijayamangalam.

Also, I think the Uthukuli turn off is just after the toll - see this post on another thread.

@Amp - I haven't tried the Palacode route but that is an option to avoid the road widening mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its the same Trichur-Kecheri-Choondal road, where one takes left to GVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Like Kala said,Kecheri to GVR would be right at Kecheri junction and then left at Choondal junction.
Oops! Thanks for clarifying this guys.
As usual @Kala and @ranjitp1 are the rock stars for most routes in this area

Last edited by NPV : 27th February 2013 at 22:02.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 23:47   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Amp - I haven't tried the Palacode route but that is an option to avoid the road widening mess.
I have tried this in bits and pieces and its brilliant! The Old Dharmapuri road is a SH and good (Hosur-Dharmapuri). The only deviation is Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attibele.
This I think should be an amazing bypass with speeds possible from 70-90. Just that one needs to be patient till Thoppur to get his breakfast !
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 12:25   #233
BHPian

Friends, i need to drive down to guruvayoor again, last time i did it was in Oct 2011 - Mumbai-Bangalore-Guruvayoor.

This time, i have to drop in at mysore for a day, wanted to know the best way to get to guruvayoor from mysore. S.Bathery was a mess last time around and it took way too long. The other option as i understand is driving through nilambur.

Request you to kindly guide me on the best option. I have a couple of senior citizens with me, which basically means that i will require decent rest stops every couple of hours or so. Also. i have heard that the nilambur route is full of twisties - now how twisty is it, is it full of hair pin bends like ooty or a general ghat road with a few sharp turns. Do not want folks to get sick enroute. Also, would like to avoid dense traffic if possible.

While heading back to bangalore from guruvayoor, i am thinking of taking the route on my previous trip - Guruvayoor - kunnamkulam - wadakanchery - shornur - ottapalam - pallakad - coimbatore - hosur - bangalore. May be a stop over at coimbatore or erode. would like to limit driving time to around 6-7 hours.

Appreciate your help.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 12:40   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Friends, i need to drive down to guruvayoor again, last time i did it was in Oct 2011 - Mumbai-Bangalore-Guruvayoor.

This time, i have to drop in at mysore for a day, wanted to know the best way to get to guruvayoor from mysore. S.Bathery was a mess last time around and it took way too long. The other option as i understand is driving through nilambur.

Request you to kindly guide me on the best option. I have a couple of senior citizens with me, which basically means that i will require decent rest stops every couple of hours or so. Also. i have heard that the nilambur route is full of twisties - now how twisty is it, is it full of hair pin bends like ooty or a general ghat road with a few sharp turns. Do not want folks to get sick enroute. Also, would like to avoid dense traffic if possible.

While heading back to bangalore from guruvayoor, i am thinking of taking the route on my previous trip - Guruvayoor - kunnamkulam - wadakanchery - shornur - ottapalam - pallakad - coimbatore - hosur - bangalore. May be a stop over at coimbatore or erode. would like to limit driving time to around 6-7 hours.

Appreciate your help.
Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Nilambur ghat is quite gentle, road is broad & easy on the car.
Lots of facilities after you cross Nilambur, but expect high density of traffic - as you can anywhere in Kerala. You can do this journey in under 7 hours.

Plan your lunch halt at Nilambur or Perinthalmanna
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 14:02   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Nilambur ghat is quite gentle, road is broad & easy on the car.
Lots of facilities after you cross Nilambur, but expect high density of traffic - as you can anywhere in Kerala. You can do this journey in under 7 hours.

Plan your lunch halt at Nilambur or Perinthalmanna
Thanks, any specific recommendation on the specific place to halt - light veg stuff and rest rooms.

Also, your thoughts on the return via coimbatore, can this be done in eight hours - at a moderate pace - 80/90 kmph?
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 14:09   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, any specific recommendation on the specific place to halt - light veg stuff and rest rooms.

Also, your thoughts on the return via coimbatore, can this be done in eight hours - at a moderate pace - 80/90 kmph?

- There is a KSTDC Tamarind at Nilambur
- There is JLR Pugmarks at Bandipur
- There is a Coffee Day at Gundlupet
Old 14th March 2013, 15:16   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For return, via Coimbatore, take the Guruvayoor-Kunnamkulam-Perumpilavu-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Avinashi-Perunthurai-Salem-Dharmapuri-Hosur-Bangalore route.

Avoid the Guruvayoor-Trissur-Palakkad route.

Yes, you can do the drive in 8 hours. Stop over at Hotel Aryaa's after Perunthurai and/ or A2B before Dharmapuri for food halt.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:23   #238
BHPian

Hi,

how is the udupi - guruvayoor route?

The plan is to go via udupi - guruvayoor - kalady - tiruvalla - chenganur - bangalore (yet to figure out how to return to bangalore from chenganur but thats another route query in another thread )

But for the circuit above, what routes are advised? how long is it liable to take?

Thanks for any pointers!
avasekeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:56   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasekeh View Post
Hi,

The plan is to go via udupi - guruvayoor - kalady - tiruvalla - chenganur - bangalore (yet to figure out how to return to bangalore from chenganur but thats another route query in another thread )

But for the circuit above, what routes are advised? how long is it liable to take?

Thanks for any pointers!
Udupi-GVR,unfortunately there arent any options except the straight forward NH17 route.Its going to be a long drive by the daytime.Budget for close 10-12hrs from Udupi to GVR.No 4 lanes anywhere except for some small stretches between Udupi and Mangalore.

For the Chengannur-BLR,better to do Chengannur-AC Road-Alapuzha-Edappally-Thrissur-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Avinashi-Salem-Blore.If you are keen on going on a new route,then I would suggest Thrissur-Wadakancheri-Pazhayannur-Alathur-Kollengode-Govindapuram-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangayam-Perundurai-NH47-Salem-Blr.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:59   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasekeh View Post
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Udupi-GVR,unfortunately there arent any options except the straight forward NH17 route.Its going to be a long drive by the daytime.Budget for close 10-12hrs from Udupi to GVR.No 4 lanes anywhere except for some small stretches between Udupi and Mangalore.
+1 to Ranjit.

Other points:
- Get to know the correct bypass for Calicut
- From Edappal instead of going to Ponnani, you can take SH69 to Kunnamkulam and come to GVR.