Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th January 2015, 13:15   #271
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The bridge closure topic has actually been beaten to death in the last couple of months mostly in the All roads to kerala thread
Thanks.

I guess I had hit the snooze button on all the discussions when it was taking place, relating to the bridge closure and did a check/scan of the last couple of pages only as a final update before doing the recent trip.

My earlier trip was in the first week of November (I think) when "ALL WAS WELL!"
pariwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 13:18   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The last time I drove, a couple of months ago, the road condition in the entire palakkad district was bad. Has the road widening completed and both sides open for traffic?
I have no idea about the road conditions from Chandranagar towards Thrissur side. I am only saying from Chandranagar to Walayar, it is excellent. Guruvayur to Palakkad via Pattambi good as usual.
poloman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 13:34   #273
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I have no idea about the road conditions from Chandranagar towards Thrissur side.
This stretch from Palakkad to slightly beyond Alathur remains a work in progress zone. One or two stretches of 2-3 Km are completely 4 laned, but the completed and incomplete/sections alternate very suddenly and one has to be very careful. Can be extremely dangerous if driving late evening/night.

For Thrissur and beyond, I would still prefer to go via Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry or Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhaynnur-Chelakara
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 12:25   #274

Dear friends,
I am going to take the Bangalore (SilkBoard) to Guruvayoor trip this coming weekend. Request you to please provide updates about the road and things to keep in mind.

I will be taking the Hosur - Salem - Walayar - Palakkad - Guruvayoor route.
The most likely start time will be 5:30 am from Silk Board Junction.

Estimated time to complete this stretch.

This is the first time I am travelling in this sector, and request inputs from the team.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
kiyer_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 15:57   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyer_2000 View Post
This is the first time I am travelling in this sector, and request inputs from the team.
Between Palakkad and Guruvayur you should do: Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shornur-Wadakkancherry-GUruvayur.

Till Palakkad its the regular GQ route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 16:03   #276
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be taking the Hosur - Salem - Walayar - Palakkad - Guruvayoor route.
The most likely start time will be 5:30 am from Silk Board Junction.
The road conditions are fine now except probably a small stretch near Walayar.
Try to start a little earlier if possible, maybe before 5am, much more peaceful traffic conditions
As @ampere has mentioned you can do Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Guruvayoor.

Alternate route is to take NH 47 upto Avinashi bypass, then Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Guruvayoor. But being your first trip, suggest you stick to the GQ route, straight and easy!
Old 19th May 2015, 10:28   #277

Thank you @NPV and @ampere for the useful inputs.

One follow up question. My onward journey is to Madurai from Guruvayoor. Google maps is suggesting 2 routes.
(1) Guruvayoor - Pallakad - Pollachi - Madurai
(2) Guruvayoor - Thrisuur - Kollengode - Pollachi - Madurai.

Route 2 looks straight. How is the road condition? Can I take this route. The added benefit I see in Route 2 is that I can visit the Vadakanatthar temple in Thrisuur and head towards Pollachi / Madurai. Will it be a good idea.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
kiyer_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 10:41   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Route 2 looks straight. How is the road condition? Can I take this route. The added benefit I see in Route 2 is that I can visit the Vadakanatthar temple in Thrisuur and head towards Pollachi / Madurai. Will it be a good idea.
Yes I would also suggest the second option.

- GVR-Trichur-Vadakkencherry-Kollengode-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Odanchatram-Dindigul bypass Madurai

And yes the Vadakanatthar temple is definitely an added visit point! Check with NPV on the point where you need to get off the NH47 after Vadakkencherry. There is a bridge and you need to exit BEFORE.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 10:44   #279
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One follow up question. My onward journey is to Madurai from Guruvayoor. Google maps is suggesting 2 routes.
(1) Guruvayoor - Pallakad - Pollachi - Madurai
(2) Guruvayoor - Thrisuur - Kollengode - Pollachi - Madurai.

Yes, Route 2 makes sense for this journey.
So, after you visit the Vadakumnathan temple which is in the middle of the Thrissur Round, head towards Mannuthy direction (one of the outward roads around the Thrissur round) and hit NH47. Drive down till Vadakkencherry and turn right towards Nemmara and this will get you to Kollengode. From here it is a straight road to Pollachi.

For the turning at Vadakkencherry on NH47 towards Nemmara, look for these landmarks:
Right turn on NH47 towards Vadakkenchery - look for a bridge on right side, almost like a service lane. Bridge is called Mangalam Palam/Bridge. Also, 2 more landmarks here - you can see "Mango Hotel" and "Apple Bakery"

More details in this earlier post - Here (All Roads to Kerala)

Last edited by NPV : 19th May 2015 at 10:49.
Old 19th May 2015, 16:11   #280
BHPian

In addition to what NPV & ampere mentioned, I had travelled to Guruvayoor via Kollengode route last February. Thanks to NPV for very clear guidance.

The routes are good, but i wouldn't recommend this route if you are driving after dark. The roads are narrow and has multiple of blind turns. Best enjoyed the beautiful route in day time.

Incase, if you are traveling in day time, when you travel from Thirssur (after seeing vadakanathar temple) and when you hit Vadakkencherry in NH47, you will see Hotel Diana from far distance in LHS and then Hotel Aryas in the left side. From their, its only few metres to exit NH, take right and drive towards Kollengode.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:38   #281
BHPian

Hi All. Planning a trip to Guruvayur this month. Can you please suggest if trains are available from Bangalore? How are the present road conditions? Just planning to visit Gurvayur now, however thinking to include other temples also in and around Guruvayur like Thriussur Temple and others. Any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance!
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:38   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All. Planning a trip to Guruvayur this month. Can you please suggest if trains are available from Bangalore? How are the present road conditions? Just planning to visit Gurvayur now, however thinking to include other temples also in and around Guruvayur like Thriussur Temple and others. Any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance!
There are no direct trains from Bangalore. Best is to take a train to Thrissur (several trains available) and then take a taxi/bus. Guruvayoor is ~30 min from Thrissur. Plan in advance as most trains get completely booked pretty fast.

In Guruvayoor, apart from Guruvayoor temple, the Mammiyoor Shiva temple is a must visit. There is a small Ganpathy temple in the Devaswom offic premises next to the templ. There are few others also, many trying to feed off the main Sree Krishna Temple popularity.

Thrissur has the famous Vadakumnathan/Parammekav temples. Then you have the Kodungallur Bhagavathy temple at Kodungallor and the Triprayar temple at Triprayaar( Both these are around an hour from Thrissur).

Of course, depends on the radius you want to cover. Kerala is full of temples and you probably will hit a famous one, every hour you drive.

Edit: Road conditions will be great since it is almost completely 4 laned till Thrissur. The stretch between Palakkad and Thrissur has work in progress/2 lane sections and the monsoon I think has made some parts bad. Better updates may be there in the Routes to Kerala thread.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd August 2016 at 10:41.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:25   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There are no direct trains from Bangalore. Best is to take a train to Thrissur (several trains available) and then take a taxi/bus. Guruvayoor is ~30 min from Thrissur. Plan in advance as most trains get completely booked pretty fast.

In Guruvayoor, apart from Guruvayoor temple, the Mammiyoor Shiva temple is a must visit. There is a small Ganpathy temple in the Devaswom offic premises next to the templ. There are few others also, many trying to feed off the main Sree Krishna Temple popularity.

Thrissur has the famous Vadakumnathan/Parammekav temples. Then you have the Kodungallur Bhagavathy temple at Kodungallor and the Triprayar temple at Triprayaar( Both these are around an hour from Thrissur).
Thanks a lot Rajeev! We have decided to go by car. We will halt at Coimbatore if needed, since I will be traveling with my kid and my mother. My mother wants to visit all the temples you have mentioned Hence we have planned for a 3 days trip.
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:39   #284
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
We have decided to go by car. We will halt at Coimbatore if needed, since I will be traveling with my kid and my mother.
Start early, take more breaks and you can easily reach Thrissur by late afternoon so better to plan a stay there, makes it so much easier the next day for the temple visits. Use Day 3 for the travel back home, start before noon, take more breaks and reach late evening.

In fact if you stay in central Thrissur, you can possibly even walk to the Vadakumnathan temple on Day 1 evening - it is right in the middle of the "Swaraj Round". Even Parmekkavu and Thiruvambady are close by.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd August 2016 at 13:42.
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:10   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Start early, take more breaks and you can easily reach Thrissur by late afternoon so better to plan a stay there, makes it so much easier the next day for the temple visits. Use Day 3 for the travel back home, start before noon, take more breaks and reach late evening.

In fact if you stay in central Thrissur, you can possibly even walk to the Vadakumnathan temple on Day 1 evening - it is right in the middle of the "Swaraj Round". Even Parmekkavu and Thiruvambady are close by.
Thanks NPV! Thats the plan now, start early. We are planning to reach Guruvayur directly and stay there for 2 nights and visit Thrissur temples, since the distance between Guruvayur and Thrissur is less.