Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th December 2009, 14:06   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@ampere:
Thats nice to hear. If you are going to GVR, please ask for early darshan from any of the hotels you stay. They will arrange for you. I stayed in Poornima Tourist Home (East Nada). Very near to temple. There are lots of other hotels around.

If on weekend, please go to darshan early at 4-5am. Being there at 6am is also little late. For me, it took 3hrs to complete the darshan. No special tickets.

Also, I missed to visit Elephant Sanctury and beach due to time constraint. Please make a point to visit them.

Even i decided to take the gudalur route to avoid the detour to Salem again.
Actually, I was planning to take the Mettupalyam-Ooty road. Dropped later.

The road condition from GVR to Gudalur is 70% good. There were some patch roads near pattambi, manjeri bypass and before Nilambur. After Nilambur, roads are extremely curvy and beauty to drive. Do not worry much. Very scenic drive.

Enjoy safe driving!!
Took this road last weekend. It was part long drive over the whole of last week (Bangalore -> Munnar -> Kumarakom -> GVY -> Mysore -> BLR).

Started from GVR 10 and reached Mysore by 4 with many breaks in between and lunch and Bandipur Jungle Lodges.

I felt GVR - Mysore section was very good, but for Bandipur-Gundlupet stretch (where the road is being relaid) and some parts of the Nadugani ghats. Pattambi/Perinthalmanna sections were also fine. In fact the Melatoor is a beauty to drive with very good roads.

Thanks for pointing this route. I was thrilled to know that there exists a route like this.

Meanwhile I also saw a line from Shornur to Nilambur. On more research I figured that from Shornur one can go to Palaghat, Thrichur, Mangalore and Nilambur. There is quite some lobbying going to connect Nilambur to Mysore. That forms a shorter route to Kerala cutting on the current main line. But that also means shrinking the tiger reserves of the country.

On the whole very good experience driving on this section. Only observation is that if one plans to have food on this route, plan it out at Bandipur Pug-marks. There is no other place.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 10:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I felt GVR - Mysore section was very good, but for Bandipur-Gundlupet stretch (where the road is being relaid) and some parts of the Nadugani ghats. Pattambi/Perinthalmanna sections were also fine. In fact the Melatoor is a beauty to drive with very good roads.
Hi Ampere,
I am planning my trip from Bangalore to Kottayam this week (24th or 25th) with my family. I was considering alternative routes like BLR-PALANI-KUMALI-KTYM, BLR-POLLACHI-VALPARAI-KTYM or BLR-MYSORE-NILAMBUR-KTYM.

Your timely quote is helped me to decide on Nilambur route
You already indicated that the road between Perinthalmanna and Gudallor is good, do we have enough sign boards to identify the route between these places?

As my destination is Kottayam, Google maps suggested two routes from Perinthalmanna, one is via Ponnani-Kodungallor through NH17, other is Cherplassery-Shornur-Thrichur-Chalakudy route.

Can anyone help me to decide on which is the better option to KOTTAYAM from PERINTHALMANNA based on the road conditions?
bejoyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 11:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoyr View Post

As my destination is Kottayam, Google maps suggested two routes from Perinthalmanna, one is via Ponnani-Kodungallor through NH17, other is Cherplassery-Shornur-Thrichur-Chalakudy route.

Can anyone help me to decide on which is the better option to KOTTAYAM from PERINTHALMANNA based on the road conditions?

Take the second route, that is the optimal one. ONly hitch is you have to go through Trissur town, but keep looking for signages marked to Ernakulam/Kochi.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 20:53   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Take the second route, that is the optimal one. ONly hitch is you have to go through Trissur town, but keep looking for signages marked to Ernakulam/Kochi.
The 1st route is a long one but the road is good. 2nd rout is shorter but lots of heavy road construction between Trichur and Angamaly . Normally even from Guruvayoor most of the drivers including taxis take the chavakkad- Kodungalloor- Ernakulam route.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 07:45   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
The 1st route is a long one but the road is good. 2nd rout is shorter but lots of heavy road construction between Trichur and Angamaly . Normally even from Guruvayoor most of the drivers including taxis take the chavakkad- Kodungalloor- Ernakulam route.
Not sure of the first route. I took regular NH47 from Ernakulam to Trichur. Not that bad, I would say. I do not do more than 100. So I was quite OK and traffic was swift. Although there were diversions, but no traffic blocks. This was during noon time and on a weekday. Not sure how the equation changes during the weekends.

I would like to mention once again that the road between Bandipur to Gundlupet is being relaid. Its really bad. You have to drive on dirt and gravel for about 3-4 km. Not sure when this work will get over. During my previous visits on this section, at least I could drive on the small "broken" road. Now its barricaded, as work is supposed to happen.

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2009 at 07:48.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:53   #51
Team-BHP Support

Just for my information, can anyone (read HVK ) explain the following:

Why should one take the road via Shornur to Trichur From Perinthalmanna, as compared to the one via Pattamabi, Kunamkulam? Is it a shorter distance, or the roads are better?

Although route makes sense for people going to GVR.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

I came back from guruvayur this afternoon.

I took following route (both ways)

Payyanur - Kannur - Thalassery - Mahe - vadakara - quilandy - calicut - University
Kottakkal - valanchery - edappal - kuttipuram (outer road)-kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

All the roads are good except some places in edappal -kuttipuram area the road wideing work is in progress but not much disturbance or traffic problem.

Heavy rush in Guruvayur due to sabarimala season (many Ayyappa devotees are coming there for darshan).
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:31   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to mention once again that the road between Bandipur to Gundlupet is being relaid. Its really bad. You have to drive on dirt and gravel for about 3-4 km.
Thanks for the warnings. Don't feel like avoiding that route because of that small stretch of 3-4 Kms

Agree with you on Trisssur to Angamaly, last month I took that route and it was fast enough with no blocks though their was road work happening.
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:01   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the warnings. Don't feel like avoiding that route because of that small stretch of 3-4 Kms

Agree with you on Trisssur to Angamaly, last month I took that route and it was fast enough with no blocks though their was road work happening.
Oh yes, very much. That small section, cannot effect a change of path! Its very good entry to the God's own country.

Only thing is I still did not get my answer on the route from Perithalmanna to Trichur. Is it worth going through Shornur or via Pattambi.
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Only thing is I still did not get my answer on the route from Perithalmanna to Trichur. Is it worth going through Shornur or via Pattambi.
Checked with a friend from that area and confirmed, via. Pattambi is the shorter route from Perinthalmanna to Thrissur.

I got the Shornur route from the google maps suggestions, they do not have a direct path between Perinthalmanna and Pattambi. It could be a wrong mapping in the map.

PS: Starting tomorrow morning 4 AM, will give latest update on the route once I am back.
Old 24th December 2009, 00:28   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Checked with a friend from that area and confirmed, via. Pattambi is the shorter route from Perinthalmanna to Thrissur.

I got the Shornur route from the google maps suggestions, they do not have a direct path between Perinthalmanna and Pattambi. It could be a wrong mapping in the map.

PS: Starting tomorrow morning 4 AM, will give latest update on the route once I am back.

Yes then it IS a mapping error. Because the route actually exists and I got to know about it on this forum only. Its a pretty good drivable road. You can do 60-80 and no more than that though.
Old 8th January 2010, 20:14   #57

I travelled from Guruvayur to Bangalore last week.
I was on a Honda City Vtech.
Route :- Guruvayur-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Nadugani-Gudalur-Gundlapet-Mysore-Bangalore
About the Road :-
Guruvayur to Perinthalmanna was normal roads with lots of small towns in between.. Cannot do a full throttle.Road condition is good.

From Perinthalmanna onwards- its rubberized roads - Very good condition - Hardly any pothole. Nilambur - I stoppped there for Lunch.. Has a good KTDC restaurant (100 mts off the highway).. Can stop at the Teak planation also, for an extended break, if required.

From Nilambur, you have the Ghat roads till Nadugani.. Again, very good roads.. Lot of hairpin bends..So, be careful with your speeds and make sure you 'honk'. Very less traffic.
Overall very very scenic roads even into Bandipur.
After Nilambur, the major town to take a break would be the Bandipur Jungle Lodges area.. So, prepare for the food break properly.

From Bandipur to Gundalpet, a stretch of 5 kms roads are being tarred (one side was completed).
It should be 100% done by now.So, good roads all the way...

If u want to take a scenic route to Guruvayur, and if you have a few extra hrs to spare. take this.. You wont regret...
Total GVR-BLR was 420 Kms.. and overall maybe 1 km of road may be a bit poor.. Thats all..
When I went BLR-GVR, I took the Wayanad route.. But, this route was much better and shorter...

Thx,S
sunith007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 19:03   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith007 View Post
If u want to take a scenic route to Guruvayur, and if you have a few extra hrs to spare. take this.. You wont regret...
Total GVR-BLR was 420 Kms.. and overall maybe 1 km of road may be a bit poor.. Thats all..
When I went BLR-GVR, I took the Wayanad route.. But, this route was much better and shorter...

Thx,S
Not just scenic, I would say, it has much less traffic compared to the NH7/NH47 combo. If you are driving during the day (night driving not recommended), its very easy if you are planning driving deep down to Trichur.
Old 31st January 2010, 21:18   #59
BHPian

Glad to hear that this road is done up. This used to be my fav, but off late because of bandipur and pattambi strech i avoided.

Anybody recently took this route ? If so, please update the current conditions.
mathewpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 22:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

I had taken this route a year back and found the Guruvayoor - Pattambi - Nilambur stretch to be bumpy, with lots of patch work. Because of that, when I drove again last month, inquired at the local shops near Guruvayoor temple. Popular opinion was to avoid this stretch and take the Thrissur - Coimbatore stretch.

Guruvayoor - Coimbatore - Bangalore took driving time of 8 hours approximately, starting at 0445 hours.

How is the condition of Guruvayoor - Pattambi - Nilambur stretch now?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote