Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 16:15   #76
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

I had visited Guruvayoor temple in my new manza a couple of days back. The route i used is:-

BLR-CBE-Palakkad-Thrichur-Guruvayur.

As far i was travelling in Tamilnadu there were many sign boards, all directions were accurate, the people were helpful in giving routes.Absolutely no problem till reaching Coimbatore.

After reaching Coimbatore all the problem started. When i was near Madukarai, there was a heavy downpour of rain which resulted in an accident of some cars in the Pallakad-Thrissur Road. My god i have to say something about this road. One of the worst roads that i have ever seen in my life. Very bad especially during rainy season.The people in Kerala don't help the tourists in any way (No offence meant). They don't even help you in finding a way. There are no signboars. If at all there is one, it ought to be in Malayalam. As a tourist, the kerala government expects me to learn malayalam is it.

After reaching thrissur it is very difficult to find the initial road which leads to Guruvayur. Later on there were some signboards showing direction to Guruvayur. I literally followed a bus which was travelling to Guruvayur from trissur.

The Gods worst country (oops sorry God's own country!!!) have got no sign boards, no street lights, very poor infrastructural facilities, absolutely no good roads, Strictly sign boards in Malayalam only,unfriendly people.I seriously wonder on what basis people call it as God's own country.

In Guruvayur:
I occupied a room in Bhuasri Inn just opp to the bus stand. From outside the hotel's ambience was good believing things took a room- a non a/c one which the only thing available. I think the room was locked for many days. It was very hot, some how managed.
In the morning visited the temple at 5am. It was not crowded much. After completing the dharshan it was almost 7.30am. Had breakfast in a nearby hotel-breakfast below average. Finally decided to move out of the God's own country and reached coimbatore had an excellent lunch and then on had a very comfortable drive even in the dark till Bangalore.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:48   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@rki2007, sorry to hear that you had a unpleasant experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
One of the worst roads that i have ever seen in my life. Very bad especially during rainy season.
This stretch has broken down, as mentioned in the other thread. This alternate route is a breeze as mentioned by many in that thread and ideally this should have been taken. The Nilambur stretch again is in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The people in Kerala don't help the tourists in any way (No offence meant). They don't even help you in finding a way. There are no signboars. If at all there is one, it ought to be in Malayalam. As a tourist, the kerala government expects me to learn malayalam is it.
Last time I took the same route, I had some issue inside Thrissur town, but at every junction I kept asking for directions. After a while I started seeing some signboards, including English.

GVR is a prominent tourist destination in Kerala, almost on par with Sabarimala. One finds English signboards at most places for these two, obviously to help the out of state Sabarimala pilgrims. Wonder whether the signboards have disappeared now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
In the morning visited the temple at 5am. It was not crowded much. After completing the dharshan it was almost 7.30am.
That was pretty quick. Sometimes, one has to be in the queue at 2am. Was it a weekday?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:14   #78
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default

My only comment to get help in unknown towns is to get a secondary guide. (Whats that ? A GPS system). The primary is always to roll down the window and ask!

The secondary system helps to get confident that you are in the right direction.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:00   #79
BHPian
 
jeevmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN07
Posts: 465
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Very bad especially during rainy season.The people in Kerala don't help the tourists in any way (No offence meant). They don't even help you in finding a way.
Offended by what you have written. What if they themselves did not know? Nothing against tourist.

Quote:
There are no signboars. If at all there is one, it ought to be in Malayalam. As a tourist, the kerala government expects me to learn malayalam is it.
I have not seen such mallu-exclusive boards. Any mallu on the forum can double-check this? Infact, I have seen such boards and experienced bad roads in KA too on my Mysore trip. But I am not complaining. Kerala govt is not there to help you find your way. You could do research here in the forum, take maps, use a Garmin if you are not comfortable.

Quote:
The Gods worst country (oops sorry God's own country!!!) have got no sign boards, no street lights, very poor infrastructural facilities, absolutely no good roads, Strictly sign boards in Malayalam only,unfriendly people.I seriously wonder on what basis people call it as God's own country.
Wooo Woo Woo. Thats a sweeping statement against the people and the land. The state is peculiar in many ways than one, in its culture, food-habits, geography. KL is not only the road from Walayar to Guruvayur!

Quote:
In Guruvayur:
I occupied a room in Bhuasri Inn just opp to the bus stand. From outside the hotel's ambience was good believing things took a room- a non a/c one which the only thing available. I think the room was locked for many days. It was very hot, some how managed.
Please research about the weather, better hotels, book in advance. Guruvayur is close to the coast and the humidity is on the higher side. Please dont attribute it to the state and the people.

Quote:
Finally decided to move out of the God's own country and reached coimbatore had an excellent lunch and then on had a very comfortable drive even in the dark till Bangalore.
Good for you!!!
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:39   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

One point on the signages. I had started my return journey early morning from GVR to BLR via TCR, PKD. Around 4:45 am start. During this journey, neither did I had to ask for directions nor did I find too many folks on the road to ask either. No issues whatsoever and reached Palakkad in time for breakfast.

Last edited by sbraj : 3rd October 2010 at 10:42.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:44   #81
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

@jeevmenon
" Your statement Kerala govt is not there to help you find your way"

Then why do you invite tourist saying Gods own country.Your presence is expected,bla bla bla and all.

Always there lies responsibility for a government to guide the tourists that too especially when such a pilgrim spot in that place. Are you aware that tourism is one of the most important segment. It depicts the culture and history of India.

As far as sign boards are concerned, i couldn't find any signboards in English near places of pallakkad but i agree that i could see a couple of sign boards in English showing directions to Guruvayur once i reached trissur. I could find these boards near the junction near West coast Hospital (I am not sure with the name of the hospital)

People please understand i am not complaining about Kerala or the government or the people. It is seriously very difficult for the tourist to travel in an unknown place with out any guidance especially in the night.

@ jeevmenon- Not everybody will carry a map or browse Team bhp. I wonder what their status will be.

As per your advice i will surely take a map when i travel in kerala next time

Last edited by rki2007 : 3rd October 2010 at 12:53. Reason: spelling mistakes
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:54   #82
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
@rki2007, sorry to hear that you had a unpleasant experience.



That was pretty quick. Sometimes, one has to be in the queue at 2am. Was it a weekday?
@sb raj- It was not entirely a unpleasant experience. It was a bit hard when i was travelling in kerala thats all. Rest were are manageable.

As far the dharshan is concerned we could have completed it even early. There was not much of crowd. We were not aware of the formalities ie., we were wearing pants and shirts and were having cell phones so had to go the room again leave out things and get dressed in dhoties and had to come back. So lost some time on that. Otherwise the dharshan would have been even earlier to the time that i said.

Yes we had visisted the temple on a weekday (Monday).

Last edited by rki2007 : 3rd October 2010 at 12:55.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 10:49   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Route- Bangalore- Calicut university campus Thenhipalam

Hi All- quick update on route details and conditions

Drove down from Bangalore to Calicut University Campus

Start Time from Bangalore BTM 1stage was at 645am,
Breaking the fast at via Nice road Mysore 915am average speed 80-100kmph
Mysore Nanjangud roads are in very bad shape Average speed 40-45kmph
Coffee day break Gundulpet 11am
Normally I take the Sultan Bathey route to reach my destination via calicut however decided to take a detour and followed on the ooty route. The last update I got on Gundulpet Sulthan Bathery routes was that it has deterioriated much bad due to heavy rains plus the traffic density was very high. Route map decided was Gudalur, Nilambur, Manjeri, Clt Unty From Gudalur take the calicut road around 15km there is a turn which shows sabarimala and that leads towards Nilambur.

Reached Nilambur at 1415 lunch at KTDC Tamarind restart at 1515
Road conditions the best to drive with average speed of 60-80 kmph since there are too many bends and curves, interestingly I noticed only one hairpin bend.
1545 Manjeri take the road that leads towards the city and take right at the signal towards calicut.
Less traffic which means less gear changes and stress less drive.

1630 destination took a detour from Kondotty get on the the airport road, 3km internal take a right turn which leads to Kohinoor junction.

Total distance covered 386km which is 40km less than the calicut route however running time is the same. With 3.5hours of break.
Total passengers 2 including and infant
Vehicle- Tata Safari 2.2

On return planning to take another route Clt Uty- Mananthavady- Tholpetty- Mysore- Bangalore since I am starting at evening 6pm and border gets closed.
kalsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 13:59   #84
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default

Great to note that Nilambur stretch has not deteriorated over the rains.
One of most beautiful roads to drive.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:57   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Which is the best possible route from Palakkad to Guruvayur? Now that the NH47 stretch is being 4 laned, I guess BLR-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad is a good option from time-saving point of view.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 05:35   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Which is the best possible route from Palakkad to Guruvayur? Now that the NH47 stretch is being 4 laned, I guess BLR-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad is a good option from time-saving point of view.
I think the shortest would be:

Palakkad-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kunnankulam-GVR.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 09:50   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the shortest would be:

Palakkad-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kunnankulam-GVR.
I am not that familiar with the towns, hence the following question.

Google maps show two Wadakkancherry towns - one between Shoranur and Thrissur and other between Alathur and Pattikad.

Is it a mistake or are there really two towns with the same name? Which one is on the route to GVR?

I know that there is a railway station named Wadakkanchery before Thrissur station.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 09:56   #88
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I am not that familiar with the towns, hence the following question.

Google maps show two Wadakkancherry towns - one between Shoranur and Thrissur and other between Alathur and Pattikad.

Is it a mistake or are there really two towns with the same name? Which one is on the route to GVR?

I know that there is a railway station named Wadakkanchery before Thrissur station.
I also know only one and that is the one which you mentioned about (where we have the railway station on the mainline. Not sure of the other.

Here is the route link:

Palakkad, Kerala to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

At least this will avoid Trichur. As usual roads between Kunnamkulam and GVR are narrow (What is new about that anyway!).

EDIT: I see that Google shows another route that connects the Choondal road outside Trichur. I am not sure of that route.

Last edited by ampere : 4th January 2011 at 09:58.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 10:10   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I see that Google shows another route that connects the Choondal road outside Trichur. I am not sure of that route.
I think route via Choondal will be the better route. Choondal is the junction where the road from GVR bifurcates - left towards Kunnamkulam and right towards Thrissur. Those approaching GVR from Thrissur divert at Choondal. See the below post from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
I stay in Kechery. Dont worry about it at all. You ll never miss Choondal as there is big sign board marking left to Guruvayur at Choondal. Just follow road from Thrissur via Amala hospital on the Calicut highway. You ll not miss Guruvayur.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 10:17   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I think route via Choondal will be the better route. Choondal is the junction where the road from GVR bifurcates - left towards Kunnamkulam and right towards Thrissur. Those approaching GVR from Thrissur divert at Choondal. See the below post from the other thread.
I was aware of Choondal sign-board and the Trichur-GVR is in general in good health. But I was not aware of Wadakancherry-Chondal route. That is what I meant. Need to check with others.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Nilambur - Malappuram - Kottakkal - Edapal - Guruvayur sijesh Travelogues 34 3rd November 2016 21:57
Travelogue: Bangalore - Wayanad - Guruvayur DrVjy Travelogues 9 17th October 2014 13:48
One Full Tank on my Black Beauty: Bangalore - Guruvayur -Bangalore: Verna CRDI SX VarunM Travelogues 18 4th May 2012 22:43
Bangalore-Guruvayur-Alleppey-Bangalore Route blackdiesel Route / Travel Queries 1 26th October 2011 13:08
Chennai to Guruvayur nitrous Route / Travel Queries 1 4th July 2008 19:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks