Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th December 2008, 09:54   #16
BHPian

Wow - it was 80% complete when i traveled in this route last month.. lane marking, sign boards were pending that time..

hmm- have to pay the toll fee next time ...
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 12:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Wow - it was 80% complete when i traveled in this route last month.. lane marking, sign boards were pending that time..

hmm- have to pay the toll fee next time ...
The worst part, these guys dont have proper signages. All of a sudden you find oncoming traffic on your lane!!!
Wish the authorities were a little more strict on the contractors to provide signages.

@M_S: Thank you, will try it this time.

Last edited by deadguy25 : 16th December 2008 at 12:05.
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 10:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
The worst part, these guys dont have proper signages. All of a sudden you find oncoming traffic on your lane!!!
Wish the authorities were a little more strict on the contractors to provide signages.

@M_S: Thank you, will try it this time.
Yeah - especially, two wheelers coming on your lane. that too, on the right most lane

I have stopped them couple of times and advised them abt the lane discipline. These guys dont know abt these and guys like us have to educate them.
Old 17th December 2008, 14:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Most of them treat each part as separate roads. So they are keeping left according to their logic.

The other problem is villages have suddenly been split becoz of the 4 lane. So to crossover they have to go all the way around. Imagine if someone does it to the place where you've been living for a long long time.

The people who lay the roads are also to be blamed. You either bypass the village or provide underground tunnels connecting both the sides.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 16:02   #20
BHPian

Yeah - I can understand.. But its a huge risk to their lives.. anyway, we will close this discussion before the mod says
Old 28th April 2009, 15:51   #21
BHPian

kicking up this thread again..

does anybody know if IVRCL has completed four laning of this stretch ( perundurai-chengampally ). also I have been following Mettur -> Andiyur - Sathy -> Annur - Karumathampatty for last couple of visits to Kerala. IF the Salem stretch is OK, I would like to give it a try
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 17:00   #22
BHPian

@tortoise yes i think that has been completed, atleast the one from bhavani has been so this should've been too.

The salem strech is done mate the road is now open(with the last leg of work to be done) from bhavani so give it a try.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 17:43   #23
BHPian

Like many have said before, the route is almost completed. I was in Coimbatore two weeks ago, and took the Mettur route. It was a bit bumpy and rough, but I usually prefer going via Mettur just out of curiosity to see the dam and the water levels

@tortoise: The route via Sathy is very good, excellent roads, and light traffic, but undivided two lane, which syncs up at Bhavani. I had to go inside Coimbatore so I took this route while going. Doesn't make sense for you to try this, and get stuck in Coimbatore city traffic.

Salem should be slightly faster, but a lot more boring.
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 19:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Like many have said before, the route is almost completed. I was in Coimbatore two weeks ago, and took the Mettur route. It was a bit bumpy and rough, but I usually prefer going via Mettur just out of curiosity to see the dam and the water levels

@tortoise: The route via Sathy is very good, excellent roads, and light traffic, but undivided two lane, which syncs up at Bhavani. I had to go inside Coimbatore so I took this route while going. Doesn't make sense for you to try this, and get stuck in Coimbatore city traffic.

Salem should be slightly faster, but a lot more boring.
@Rossiter, @Hades,

thank you. I will try while I go next time

@Rossiter, I do not go to Coimbatore, instead from Annur I take a left and join Karumathampatty. This route is about 15-20 kms more than the usual Salem stretch and may be 40 kms more than Bhavani stretch, but the big advantage in my opinion is that I can join just 10 kms before the L&T bypass. I avoid the mayhem on Avinashi Coimbatore road

Now hat the salem stretch is done, I guess the balance shifts to that road because I will be able to travle much faster through this road

-tortoise
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote