Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th March 2010, 16:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it prominently visible? Did not notice it till date.
This hotel is few hundred meters before the pallikonda toll-gate. It has a big name board and is visible if you look at your left in that straight road!
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 16:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it prominently visible? Did not notice it till date.
Once you pass all the bridges of Vellore, this comes to your left just before the Pallikonda toll gate. if you enter Pallikonda toll gate, it means you missed this hotel by few meters
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 17:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Once you pass all the bridges of Vellore, this comes to your left just before the Pallikonda toll gate. if you enter Pallikonda toll gate, it means you missed this hotel by few meters
Thanks for that info. Will keep note from the next time. The issue is that most of us time it the way that you either state in the evening for Chennai to be at home or dinner, or start early from Bangalore so as to have breakfast at A2B. So because of that one most does not even expect things on the way.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 19:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Will keep note from the next time. The issue is that most of us time it the way that you either state in the evening for Chennai to be at home or dinner, or start early from Bangalore so as to have breakfast at A2B. So because of that one most does not even expect things on the way.
I normally drive in the morning from & to Chennai @ 5AM, so this hotel is ideal for me as I'll be there at 7:30AM either way.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 19:56   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I normally drive in the morning from & to Chennai @ 5AM, so this hotel is ideal for me as I'll be there at 7:30AM either way.
I have done this stretch either on a full stomach or at snack time! So never bothered to look around !
Old 9th March 2010, 08:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Once you pass all the bridges of Vellore, this comes to your left just before the Pallikonda toll gate.
Sure, will check this out the next time .

Most of the times, it's the time of day that decides where we stop, apart from other considerations.

BTW, heard good reviews about Kamat, too.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 09:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Last month i did that stretch after starting from Bangalore by 4:30 PM. That time was too early for A2B and so i thought i would have something after reaching Vellore. But as my kids were sleeping when we crossed Vellore, we decided to look for a hotel after that place and we had a terrible time trying to find a decent hotel on GQ after crossing vellore. There were a number of smaller Dhabas strewn across GQ and we ended up having our dinner in one such place near Sriperumbudur Food was fine but it was mainly non-veg!! Am used to having veg in non-veg restaurants but my wifey had some tough time stomaching the food
So my advice for veggies: if you are going towards Chennai, make sure you finish your food before crossing vellore.
n_mouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 10:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_mouli View Post
Am used to having veg in non-veg restaurants but my wifey had some tough time stomaching the food
Now, this is the biggest problem

So, it'd be good if those of you who recommend a place can specify if it is 100% Vegetarian
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 14:30   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Now, this is the biggest problem

So, it'd be good if those of you who recommend a place can specify if it is 100% Vegetarian
Then its very limited choices on the offer and also they are route restricted. We have seen all of them before.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:30   #40
BHPian

A good place is Fisherman's Fare in Ranipet. Its in the Apollo KH hospital complex on the left side of the highway when coming from Chennai. The place is very clean and the food is good. There were quite a few veg options though I've had the seafood there for lunch
litesaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 11:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_mouli View Post
Last month i did that stretch after starting from Bangalore by 4:30 PM. That time was too early for A2B and so i thought i would have something after reaching Vellore. But as my kids were sleeping when we crossed Vellore, we decided to look for a hotel after that place and we had a terrible time trying to find a decent hotel on GQ after crossing vellore. There were a number of smaller Dhabas strewn across GQ and we ended up having our dinner in one such place near Sriperumbudur Food was fine but it was mainly non-veg!! Am used to having veg in non-veg restaurants but my wifey had some tough time stomaching the food
So my advice for veggies: if you are going towards Chennai, make sure you finish your food before crossing vellore.
Yes. After vellore, its hard to find one good restaurant. You have couple of hotels just after the Ranipet bridge going from bangy. Red chilli? and one more. Haven't tried them yet.

For veges, best bet is vellore. I think just side of the 3rd bridge, you have one saravanas. Right?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 11:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I knew that the hotel was active, but did not know it was Kamat. Still I would prefere A2B down further compared to Kamat.
I feel dosa's at A2B is very bad, Kamat is way better than A2B and charge reasonably compated to A2B. Competition is good otherwise A2B will start charging heavily for average quality of food.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 12:48   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I feel dosa's at A2B is very bad, Kamat is way better than A2B and charge reasonably compated to A2B. Competition is good otherwise A2B will start charging heavily for average quality of food.
I guess the main difference which tilts it for me to the A2B side is Sambhar. Kamat sambhar is sweet in taste, while A2B is like the TN style.

Initially I noticed that Kamat dosas are roasted on one side, while A2B were done on both sides. If you order a Masala dosa, Kamat guys will roast it one side and add masala on the other. This was a bit let down for me.
Not sure how is it today.

So much for Dosa Architectures and Manufacturing !
Old 10th March 2010, 15:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the main difference which tilts it for me to the A2B side is Sambhar. Kamat sambhar is sweet in taste, while A2B is like the TN style.

Initially I noticed that Kamat dosas are roasted on one side, while A2B were done on both sides. If you order a Masala dosa, Kamat guys will roast it one side and add masala on the other. This was a bit let down for me.
Not sure how is it today.

So much for Dosa Architectures and Manufacturing !
Yea that is what i hate, roasted on both side. I like mysore masala type, maybe that is why i dont like dosa of tamilnadu side.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 15:30   #45
BHPian

From Chennai, before the kanchipuram fly over, a veg restaurant has been opened. The food quality should be ok.

@ampere: Dosa are usually roasted on one side only. If you order uthappam or kal dosa then its turned down by the chef

Last edited by ikoneer : 10th March 2010 at 15:33.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote