Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th March 2010, 15:37   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
From Chennai, before the kanchipuram fly over, a veg restaurant has been opened. The food quality should be ok.

@ampere: Dosa are usually roasted on one side only. If you order uthappam or kal dosa then its turned down by the chef
I think he is mistaken it as roasted two sides since dosa in A2B is very thin. Surely 1 dosa at A2B will not fill stomach at all.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 19:13   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I think he is mistaken it as roasted two sides since dosa in A2B is very thin. Surely 1 dosa at A2B will not fill stomach at all.
Hotels in Karnataka typically dont turn Dosa to the other side and cook much. Thats what I meant. Roast I guess is the wrong word.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 21:52   #48
Team-BHP Support

Folks, when does A2B at Krishnagiri open in the morning? I dont think it opens before seven. Can someone confirm it?
Old 20th March 2010, 09:42   #49
Awaiting Email Confirmation

At 6 am in the morning, I had coffee there.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 11:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hotels in Karnataka typically dont turn Dosa to the other side and cook much. Thats what I meant. Roast I guess is the wrong word.
To my knowledge dosas are not turned over to the other side in any hotel anywhere. It is done only at our homes.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 06:06   #51
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday while returning from Chennai, I saw a place called Red Chillies Motel about 45Km before Vellore. Looked like a Road side Dhaba, that may provide good road-side fare. Has any one tried it?

Roads were good in the afternoon. Very little traffic on GQ.
Old 27th April 2010, 06:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, when does A2B at Krishnagiri open in the morning? I dont think it opens before seven. Can someone confirm it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I assume you're referring to the A2B near Thoppur - right ? If so, 7AM+ seems more like it. Last week I tried the place at around 7 AM. They were just opening up and sweeping the restaurant and told me I need to wait for 10-15 mins for breakfast.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 09:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the main difference which tilts it for me to the A2B side is Sambhar. Kamat sambhar is sweet in taste, while A2B is like the TN style.
Nice observation

At the risk of being flamed, I can add that if it is Sambhaar it must be TN registered, and for Chutney it must be KA registered (vice versa is disastrous).

And TN registered restaurants must learn from KA registered ones as to how to make a vada.

PS: In both places the amount of Sambhaar or Chutney they serve (per serving) is so pathetic, that it lasts for just 20% of the main dish.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 10:57   #54
Team-BHP Support

In fact yesterday just for this very reason, that you dont get much till A2B, I drove non-stop from Mylapore to Krishnagiri A2B!
Old 27th April 2010, 11:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Nice observation

At the risk of being flamed, I can add that if it is Sambhaar it must be TN registered, and for Chutney it must be KA registered (vice versa is disastrous).

And TN registered restaurants must learn from KA registered ones as to how to make a vada.

PS: In both places the amount of Sambhaar or Chutney they serve (per serving) is so pathetic, that it lasts for just 20% of the main dish.
I actually rather like the sambar offered at Bangalore restaurants more! When I was working at Bangalore, I used to often lap up sambar idlis at the Adiga's place near Manipal centre. A colleague who was on transfer from Tuticorin would even drink a cup or two on the sly!

But both idlis and vadas are much bigger in KA than those offered at TN. During my first official visit to Bangy many years ago I was staying in Modern lodge at Seshadripuram (I think). I went to a nearby darshini like place in the morning and ordered 4 idlis and 2 vadas as I usually do at TN. When they arrived, I was stunned by their size! The vadas were almost as big as idlis and the idlis were even bigger! Having placed the order, what else to do - I quietly ate them up and skipped lunch!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 11:14   #56
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I assume you're referring to the A2B near Thoppur - right ? If so, 7AM+ seems more like it. Last week I tried the place at around 7 AM. They were just opening up and sweeping the restaurant and told me I need to wait for 10-15 mins for breakfast.
Krishnagiri, not Thoppur. Recently, I had coffee at A2B, Chinnar, near Krishnagiri toll plaza, at 6 am on 10 April 2010 after topping up my Fiat Linea's fuel tank and tyres. At 6 am, only coffee was served there, no traces of breakfast! I breakfasted at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore at 8:30 am.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 27th April 2010 at 11:20.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 13:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
When they arrived, I was stunned by their size! The vadas were almost as big as idlis and the idlis were even bigger!
True. On Sunday (25th) morning on the way back from Madras to Bangalore, I went to HSB, Vellore and ordered a Vada. Believe me, the Gulab Jamoon that we make at home is normally bigger than what they served as vada -
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 14:08   #58
Team-BHP Support

I have realized, it does not make sense to stop anywhere else but at the ones in Krishnagiri. A2B, Sree Krishna or Kamat.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:23   #59
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
True. On Sunday (25th) morning on the way back from Madras to Bangalore, I went to HSB, Vellore and ordered a Vada. Believe me, the Gulab Jamoon that we make at home is normally bigger than what they served as vada -
I remember posting here earlier that HSB vellore is making miniature stuff. Very tasty food, but small. Their dosa is as small as idly. And the cost is inversely proportional to the size!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 14:28   #60
Team-BHP Support

In fact the bypasses have been so well made, that you dont see any village or town for that matter. Well barricaded. In fact well, that at many places, you cannot get food !