Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd April 2012, 09:43   #61
BHPian

Default re: Chennai to Pune/Mumbai : Route Queries

Just to update and thank team-bhp and all who helped. I completed Chennai to Pune in 16.5 hours with halt at Kohlapur. I started from Chennai at 04:00 AM on Sunday 11-Mar-2012. Reached Krishnagiri at 8:00 AM. Tumkur at 11:00 AM. After Tumkur, I was literally flying with the help of cruise control. This was the first time in one year of my Scorpio ownership, I crossed 120 Kmph. The entire stretch was good except a bit of stretch after Hubli. Reached Kohlapur (1000 KM in 13 hrs) at 5:00 PM and I guessed I could reach pune by 9 PM but my wife started complaining that we need to halt. Took a halt at Hotel Opal and started for Pune at 08:00 AM next day and reached Kothrud at 11:30 AM.

Want to especially thank Ampere whose tips in bypassing bangalore proved very useful.
mbhangui is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 20:26   #62
BHPian

By some twist of fate, I need to travel to Chennai. Since I thoroughly enjoyed my last trip from Chennai to Pune, I am planning to again do a Pune-Chennai-Pune by road, using my Scorpio. This time I will however have to go through the khambatki ghat. This will be the first time I will travel a tricky ghat. Any extra precautions that I need to take? Does the M mode of Scorpio AT use engine braking while coming down an incline?

I plan to start 3:30 AM from Pune. I am planing to do the entire stretch in one go. I will be travelling with wife and my son. I expect to do the journey in around 16-18 hours. THis time I will record the entire trip using my Holux M-241 gps logger and mark important waypoints like speed breakers, entry and exit to the NICE road, restaurants, etc and also thinking of carrying my SLR camera.

Last edited by mbhangui : 16th May 2012 at 20:29.
mbhangui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 23:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
This time I will however have to go through the khambatki ghat. This will be the first time I will travel a tricky ghat. Any extra precautions that I need to take? Does the M mode of Scorpio AT use engine braking while coming down an incline?
Nothing to worry about Khambatki.Should be easily done.Its not all that tricky.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 08:47   #64
BHPian

Does anyone have the link in google maps showing how to enter the NICE from tumkur side so that Bangalore gets avoided while travelling to Chennai?

Last time Forum members provided excellent directions on how to use the NICE exit while going in the opposite direction.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This time I will however have to go through the khambatki ghat. This will be the first time I will travel a tricky ghat. Any extra precautions that I need to take?
Don't worry about Khambatki ghat being tricky. Traffic is one way only [in Pune-B'lore direction] and there won't be too many private vehicles [mostly trucks] at the time you'll be travelling. Keep a safe distance from the heavy trucks & trailers and you should be just fine.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 10:16   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have the link in google maps showing how to enter the NICE from tumkur side so that Bangalore gets avoided while travelling to Chennai?

Last time Forum members provided excellent directions on how to use the NICE exit while going in the opposite direction.
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=NIC...+city&t=m&z=13

Well marked,but keep a look out for the overhead signs else you might lost your way.The diversion to NICE comes after you get down the Elevated road at Nelamangala.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 12:20   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

After you take the elevated highway at Nelamangala, withing 5-10 minutes you should be at the NICE road exit.
It hardly about 6-8 km from the elevated road toll both.

There is no prior sign-board which says NICE road exit approaching. So its a good idea to remain in the left most or middle lane.
Else you can miss this exit. The exit board is right at the exit point itself.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 18:37   #68
BHPian

Update - Completed the first leg of the trip Pune to Chennai in exactly 17.5 hours. The 'M' mode of Scorpio AT works. Used it to provide the engine braking while coming down Kambatki ghat. The trip of 1200 KM was completed with around 105 liter of Diesel. At the current rates, the trip works to around Rs 3 per KM (add Rs 1 per KM for the toll).

I have marked all the notorious speed breakers in my Mapmyindia PND. Will figure out how to represent the same on google maps and share once I am back to Pune.
Old 19th May 2012, 18:48   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have marked all the notorious speed breakers in my Mapmyindia PND. Will figure out how to represent the same on google maps and share once I am back to Pune.

You can translate the location/waypoint data into a GPX file and upload. That way people with PND can directly use it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 18:00   #70
BHPian

hi,

I am planning to do Chennai to Pune on 16 and 17th of June. If I start around 9 am from Chennai, what is the best place to take a break? I am thinking of taking a break on 16th night, and reaching Pune by 17th afternoon. Is Hubli / Belgaum a good place to stay for the night ?

Or is it advisable to start even later - that would depend on the point to take a break. Please advice.

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 18:10   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
hi,

I am planning to do Chennai to Pune on 16 and 17th of June. If I start around 9 am from Chennai, what is the best place to take a break? I am thinking of taking a break on 16th night, and reaching Pune by 17th afternoon. Is Hubli / Belgaum a good place to stay for the night ?

Or is it advisable to start even later - that would depend on the point to take a break. Please advice.

thanks
Siva
I would say start early!

It would take you at least 10-12 hours to reach Hubli (door to door).
I hope you would be fine with it. Starting at 4AM would help you reach much faster
due to faster exits from the big cities. Any reasons why you want to start at 9AM?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 18:43   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say start early!

It would take you at least 10-12 hours to reach Hubli (door to door).
I hope you would be fine with it. Starting at 4AM would help you reach much faster
due to faster exits from the big cities. Any reasons why you want to start at 9AM?
Hi ampere,

Thanks for the input. There is high possibility that I get my vehicle back only on Friday / Saturday morning - have given for some modification work. So, high possibility that I cannot start by 5 on Saturday. That is why the late start.

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 19:12   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

9:00am - Chennai
1:00pm - Bangalore NICE
You can break for lunch at KAMAT (Dobspet)
1:45pm - Tumkur Road NICE
4:15pm - Chitradurga
5:00pm - Davanagere
You can stop for Snacks/Tea at Kamat (before Ranebennur bypass) or Ghar BPCL (before Haveri)
6:00pm - Haveri
7-00pm - Hubli Circle
7-30pm - Bypass Exit
9-00pm - Belgaum
You can have excellent dinner at Hotel Sankam Residency at Belgaum
----------------------------------------
Total time ~12 Hours
* Depending on traffic between Chennai and Bangalore, you can expect delay as well.

Instead of staying in Hubli, you can opt to drive 90kms further from Hubli Cirlce and stay at Belgaum too.

Belgaum - Kolhapur Bypass: 1.5 Hours
Kolhapur - Satara : 1.5 Hours
Satara - Pune: 1.5 Hours
Total time ~4.5 Hours

For stay, depending on how tired you are:
1. Chitradurga : Naveen Residency (08194-230052)
2. Davanagere Bypass : Genesis Resort (08192 280194)
3. Hubli City : Ayodhya (0836-2351951), Clarks In (0836 2232675 )
4. Belgaum Bypass : Sankam Residency (0831 4207888)

Except Hubli, all the other hotels are situated on the bypass which wont take much of your time to enter and exit a town.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th June 2012 at 19:16.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 11:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
I am planning to do Chennai to Pune on 16 and 17th of June. If I start around 9 am from Chennai
Unless you have very easy access to get past Poonamalee, I'd say have an early lunch and leave around 1130am and drive non-stop till you get past Nelamangala, Tumkur. This way you won't get bogged down by Madras morning traffic nor Bangalore evening traffic.

You'd make it close to 11pm-midnight in Belgaum, if it sounds too late. Hubli would be a better option. Once I started from Hosur at 4pm and entered Hubli around 930-10pm.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 16:58   #75
BHPian

Hi, I always stop by in Hubli for the night and next day straight to Pune.
I would advise the same. Always good to keep travel/driving fatigue at bay during long trips.
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote