Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th December 2008, 20:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Anybody from Varanasi? Trip advice needed...

I need to visit varanasi next week, for something very urgent. If anybody is from Varanasi, any help will be great,

1. How Do I travel from Delhi to Varanasi. What train, what time schedule? Sorry I will be traveling from Indian Railways after long time, almost 12 years.

2. I have to go to
D. S. RESEARCH CENTRE
147-A, Ravindrapuri Colony, Lane No. 8,Varanasi- 221005,
Which Station I should leave, how will I reach this place?
Please help for hotel in this location.

3. Do we get Autos or Taxi in Varanasi easily?

4. Have you heard of D. S. RESEARCH CENTRE?
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 06:28   #2
BHPian

ok,
I left Varanasi 10 yrs ago...
cant help you with the address.
check irctc.co.in for the trains...there are lots of trains leaving from new delhi between 2pm and 5 pm(atleast 3-4 trains).And it takes around 11.5 hrs.
Get down at Varanasi Cantt Station.
After that....god be with you!
you get autos. you will have to bargain.
If no help comes by let me know i'll pm you the mail id of a friend of mine who knows varanasi better than me. He will be able to give you better info.

Edit: Looks like this place is ~3 kms from Cantt railway station. Should cost you not more than Rs20-25.
Alternately if you dont have too much luggage, you can share an auto. They stuff atleast 5 people in an auto.Its an experience in itself specially sitting in the front
This will take more time(to get other passengers going in that direction) but will cost you approx Rs5.

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 7th December 2008 at 06:39.
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 10:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks mohit,

I checked the irctc site, one of my favorite site(because I worked for it ). I think trains starting at 6:00PM(swatantara Exp etc) is the best as it reaches varanasi at around 7:30 in the morning.

I have only one day work in varanasi, I plan to do that on Saturday, then move around on Sunday and leave on Sunday night for delhi.

No Luggage at all, I will carrying the smallest back pack I have. Still I would not like to take the shared auto. but hope the private Autos are safe.

I found one location at D.S.Research Center. Attached is the location as per my understanding.

Also it will be great if you can PM me your friend's contact details and your real name. Thanks

Name:  varanasi.bmp
Views: 6804
Size:  975.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
ok,
check irctc.co.in for the trains...there are lots of trains leaving from new delhi between 2pm and 5 pm(atleast 3-4 trains).And it takes around 11.5 hrs.
Get down at Varanasi Cantt Station.
After that....god be with you!
you get autos. you will have to bargain.
If no help comes by let me know i'll pm you the mail id of a friend of mine who knows varanasi better than me. He will be able to give you better info.

Edit: Looks like this place is ~3 kms from Cantt railway station. Should cost you not more than Rs20-25.
Alternately if you dont have too much luggage, you can share an auto. They stuff atleast 5 people in an auto.Its an experience in itself specially sitting in the front
This will take more time(to get other passengers going in that direction) but will cost you approx Rs5.

Regards,
Old 7th December 2008, 11:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Bom Bhole

Varanasi is too small a town to worry about directions. Just get down at Cantonment station. Get any one of the millions of autos outside and they will take you wherever you need to go. Nothing can be more than 5 km away.
Most of the modern new hotels are in the "Cantt area" (most locals in Varanasi don't understand the original full form word Cantonment and refer to it as just Cantt). We stayed at Hotel Meraden Grand, which is a nice hotel with a web presence that you can book in advance. There are millions of other hotels in Varanasi.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 11:20   #5
BHPian

Shiv Ganga Express(2560) reaches by 7.30 am and is rarely late, my friends from Varanasi vouch for this and the train is generally on time to and fro.
According to the map Varanasi station is nearest. Hotels are not a problem.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 16:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sudipto-S-Team, always pleasure to read from you .

yes sir ture about "Cantt area", you know I am from Jalandhar CANTT .

Ok so I think advance booking is not really required, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Varanasi is too small a town to worry about directions. Just get down at Cantonment station. Get any one of the millions of autos outside and they will take you wherever you need to go. Nothing can be more than 5 km away.
Most of the modern new hotels are in the "Cantt area" (most locals in Varanasi don't understand the original full form word Cantonment and refer to it as just Cantt). We stayed at Hotel Meraden Grand, which is a nice hotel with a web presence that you can book in advance. There are millions of other hotels in Varanasi.
Thanks setuniket, I will check this train on IRCTC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Shiv Ganga Express(2560) reaches by 7.30 am and is rarely late, my friends from Varanasi vouch for this and the train is generally on time to and fro.
According to the map Varanasi station is nearest. Hotels are not a problem.
Old 7th December 2008, 17:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I think trains starting at 6:00PM(swatantara Exp etc) is the best as it reaches varanasi at around 7:30 in the morning.
some other prestigeous trains that you can consider
2382 POORVA EXPRESS 16:20 05:20
2392 SHRAMJEVI N EXP 13:15 02:30
2560 SHIV GANGA EXP 18:30 07:30
4006 LICHCHAVI EXP 15:35 06:20
2562 SWATANTRTA S EX 20:35 08:50

I'll PM you my friend's mail id. He is in bangalore now but knows more about varanasi than me.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 8th December 2008, 13:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

I left benares 37 years ago but have my realtives there and visited as early as in 2005. As told by others lot of trains go. However I do not see the Kashi Vishwanath express in the list.. You should get down at the Varanasi cantt station. I stayed at Taj ganges hence can only reccommend it.

You get plenty of autos & taxis but none run by meter. You've to do ahard bargaining, but of no use as because like the famous "banarasi thug" they can and will spot a first timer instantly...

You also get rickshaws and travekking on them is a joy of its own kind. I've not heard of the reserach centre but its location in Ravindrapuri colony indicates, it is near Durgakund. Weather would be very pleasant this time and do eat the poori-aloo. A visit to Ganga Maiyya & baba Vishwanath if possible. Do pray for me as well if you go there..

Quote:
I need to visit varanasi next week, for something very urgent. If anybody is from Varanasi, any help will be great,

1. How Do I travel from Delhi to Varanasi. What train, what time schedule? Sorry I will be traveling from Indian Railways after long time, almost 12 years.

2. I have to go to
D. S. RESEARCH CENTRE
147-A, Ravindrapuri Colony, Lane No. 8,Varanasi- 221005,
Which Station I should leave, how will I reach this place?
Please help for hotel in this location.

3. Do we get Autos or Taxi in Varanasi easily?

4. Have you heard of D. S. RESEARCH CENTRE?

Last edited by gd1418 : 8th December 2008 at 13:35.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 18:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

arey yaar, now you are scaring me, and I have seen Bunty or Babali
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You get plenty of autos & taxis but none run by meter. You've to do ahard bargaining, but of no use as because like the famous "banarasi thug" they can and will spot a first timer instantly...
I hope I will have time
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
do eat the poori-aloo. A visit to Ganga Maiyya & baba Vishwanath if possible. Do pray for me as well if you go there..
Old 8th December 2008, 19:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
arey yaar, now you are scaring me, and I have seen Bunty or Babali

I hope I will have time
dude, you have been living in delhi....I dont think autowalas in varanasi are as cunning as they are in delhi.
just be extra careful. Find out the area where you have to go(not just the colony name). find out how far it is from cantt railway station and tell the autowala guys that you are not new to "banaras". And by the way, unlike delhi railway station, in varanasi, autowalas will start presting you from the moment you get donw from train. Dont talk to them, first just get out of the station and then unleash your bargaining skills.
Dont miss a boat ride in ganges(in the evening). It used to be wonderful 10 yrs ago. and bargaining is the key here as well.

Regards,
Old 8th December 2008, 20:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Boat ride in the evening is still mesmerising & wonderful except that Ganga Maiyaa has not had a bath for many many years now, hence smells.. and the Ganga aarti at the Dashashwamedh Ghat is mind-boggling. Don't miss and view it from the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Dont miss a boat ride in ganges(in the evening). It used to be wonderful 10 yrs ago. and bargaining is the key here as well.

Regards,

Last edited by gd1418 : 8th December 2008 at 20:51.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 22:18   #12
BHPian

Default Varanasi

It will be nice to wander the narrow lanes of Kashi, like Viswanath Gully etc. The smell and sight are unparalleled. After reaching Varanasi, check in any hotel near the station, then find out place where you want to go. Even cycle rickshaws are a good way to commute. Happy journey.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote