Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th December 2008, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Default Advise needed on Rajasthan road trip from Bangalore

Hi,

Am planning a road trip from Bangalore to Rajasthan in my friend's Scorpio. Plan is contained in the excel attachment.

Here's some info on the group:

1.Two of us driving till Pune. 3 Pune to Bombay. 4 Bombay to Udaipur.
5 Post Udaipur till Jaipur. 4 till Jodhpur. 3 from Jodhpur to Bangalore.
2. All can drive and some have done long distance driving earlier including the two of us from Bangalore.

Need advice on following:

1. How are these roads? Are these the best routes?
2. Is this realistic, or are we stretching things too far?
3. Any inputs on places to stay and eat at each destination?
4. Any places you think we should add/skip?
5. Any other advice. Dos and don'ts?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Trip Planner 8th December.xls (24.5 KB, 1278 views)
Nitin Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 16:30   #2
BHPian

Mumbai-Udaipur is realistic ,but i believe the roads between surat and vadodra are bad ( you will loose time there),incase you are not gonna be driving after sunset i reckon you do a stop over @ ahmedabad...

usually the best bet to stay in all these places are the rtdc(rajashthan tourism) hotels.(they have a complete list city by city on their website)

jaisalmer ,u should stay in those desert camps ,its amazing experience...

while passing from gujrat into rajasthan ,the gujrat border police might insist you to put a yellow paint /line on your headlamp ,god knws why?

u can always skip that by saying your's is an outstate vehicle and you dont intend to be in gujrat for long...

if you are in bikaner ,also do visit deshnok(30km) from bikaner ,it has the famous rat temple(karni devi) ,lots of rats around ,its a treat to see humans and rats in the same temple complex...

dont step on any ,as if u do ,u will have to replace one with a silver rat.

can't think of anything else at the moment ,will post if anything pops again! i m sure many experts would be giving their share of gyaan to you as well.. so keep reading!
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:15   #3
BHPian

Thanks. This is great perspective!
Old 11th December 2008, 19:09   #4

Nitin,

I had done Bangalore-Delhi-Bangalore in March in a Scorpio.
Day 1: Bangalore-Vapi (about 1300 kms)
Day 2: Vapi- Delhi

Return we had done Udaipur-Pune day 1 & Pune-Bangalore Day 2

Road issues
a. Chitradurga stretches are still an issue (as recently as last month)
b. Surat - Baroda
c. Chittorgarh: You need to travel through city - Don't know whether Bypass is ready

I am attaching a Mumbai Bypass guide - courtesy HV Kumar. Very useful with good landmarks at every turn.
He will also be able to provide you further details on the current conditions, most likely see his comments on your request soon.

We had done the Delhi-Mathura-Agra-Fatehppur Sikri-Jaipur-Ajmer-Udaipur set, would have done more but for paucity of time.

Bangalore-Pune, departure at 4:00 am, we were at Pune around 4:00 pm
That was with comfortable travel, taking short breaks of 15-20 minutes every 3 hours or so.

Bangalore - Vapi took us about 17-18 hours on Day 1
We had the advantage of early start on Day 2 (4:30 am), crossed Surat-Baroda stretch early on for late breakfast at Ahmedabad, that way traffic was still light and bad road failry manageable.

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: doc Bombay Bypass Guide.doc (30.0 KB, 998 views)
sanjaykhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 11:40   #5
BHPian

Thanks Sanjay. The common thing I hear is that NH 8 between Surat-Vadodara is in bad shape. I have done Bombay - Jaipur in 2005 (via Chittor) we passed Chittor really early in the morning so it wasn't very congested, guess there'll be more traffic later in the day.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:06   #6
BHPian

Hi Nitin,

Could you please let me know about this trip of yours as I am planning to do the same in a couple of months. I am going to Jodhpur and wanted to know the best route possible.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 19:23   #7
BHPian

Hi Sami,

We did the following:

1. Day 1: Bangalore - Bombay taking NH 4 via Tumkur, Haveri, Chitradurga, Dharwar, Belgaum, Kolhapur, Satara, Pune and Panvel. Took us 15 hrs including stopovers for rest, food. Great 4 lane Golden Quadrilateral Stretch except bits around Tumkur, Haveri to Chitradurga and Undivided stretch around Dharwar.

2. Day 2: Bombay - Udaipur on NH 8 via Vapi, Surat, Bharuch, Vadodara and Ahmedabad. Travel time 12 hours including stops. Surat - Baroda was being widened and the 140 Km took over 4 hours.

Recommendation for you: take Bombay byepass from Panvel to NH8 via Thane (attachment earlier in this thread) to avoid Bombay. From Ahmedabad you'll need to take NH 14 via Mehsana, Palanpur, Sirohi and Pali. My guess is it should be 7 hours from Ahmedabad to Jodhpur and Panvel - Ahmedabad should take 9 odd hours.
Old 24th August 2009, 22:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

A few updates:

- Surat-Ankleshwar section is much better now
- Ankleshwar-Baroda is a lovely 6-lane highway now
- To get onto NH14, you don't have to go into Ahmedabad city, turn off onto the Sardar Patel Ring Road before the last expressway exit - the signage will point to Sarkhej/Gandhinagar/Rajkot. If you take this exit, you will get onto the road to Kalol/Palanpur
- BOmbay bypass via Airoli is in good shape now, and will ensure that you get from Turbhe (New Bombay) to Thane in less than 1 hour
- DO NOT take the direct road to Thane from Pune expressway exit (Panvel-Taloja-Thane) - that road may be shorter but is in terrible condition.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 22:24   #9
BHPian

Guys, how reliable are Google maps for such long routes?

Google maps is giving a totally different route for Bangalore to Jodhpur.

Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 22:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Guys, how reliable are Google maps for such long routes?

Google maps is giving a totally different route for Bangalore to Jodhpur.

I think you have your answer in the route that the dumb computer has worked out for you! No further comments!

Our sincere advise to you would be to take the route plan that Nitin took. In case you want the detailed route profile, will be happy to work it for yo. But please do not take the route recommended by Google Maps. Of course, the world is round and you will get to Jodhpur the Google Maps way too!
Old 24th August 2009, 22:30   #11
BHPian

Hi friends,

Some recent info from my end as I have been on a big part of the above mentioned route on August 7th and 8th of this year. Chittor has a nice bypass as of today and you don't need to enter the town. Somewhere close to Airoli, there was still a lot of congestion because four-laning was not complete. Surat to Baroda can not take 4 hours any more as I negotiated Surat to Ahmedabad in 3 hours flat. I did it in the evening from 5 to 8. So, only road issues may arise in some stretches between Hubli and Davangere. Also, when you go from Ahmedabad towards Udaipur, there is somewhere a stretch that is still only 2-lane but it is not a very long one

Regards
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think you have your answer in the route that the dumb computer has worked out for you! No further comments!

Our sincere advise to you would be to take the route plan that Nitin took. In case you want the detailed route profile, will be happy to work it for yo. But please do not take the route recommended by Google Maps. Of course, the world is round and you will get to Jodhpur the Google Maps way too!
I am not planning to do any trips as of yet. Was just wondering if online maps are reliable or not. Google maps works really accurate for city roads and small distances.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 23:50   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I drove down from Delhi-Bangalore around 3 months back. IIRC, the stretch between Haveri-Chitradurga was the worst of the 2500 odd kms. We hit heavy traffic close to Baroda and there was a small section of around 20kms near Surat that was in bad shape. Apart from this, the roads are fantastic.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 01:55   #14
BHPian

@ Gandhi,

Google and other online maps often give you the shortest route, this may not be the quickest since many roads may be in bad shape making driving difficult.

In this specific case the Bangalore - Bombay (NH 4) and Bombay- Ahmedabad (NH 8) stretches are part of the Golden Quadrilateral and at most places are atleast 4 lanes wide and very smooth allowing for higher average speeds, good wayside facilities (petrol pumps, decent eating joints) and pass close to major cities: just in case repairs/medical aid is needed. That's why HV Kumar and I are recommending these routes.

@ Sami

as HV Kumar mentions, don't go inside Ahmedabad town, take the Sardar Patel Ring Road when approaching Ahmedabad and proceed towards Gandhinagar. From Gandhinagar you need to take the road to Palanpur via Mehsana (Ahmedabad - Palanpur should be about 141 km). At Palanpur you'll hit NH 14 which will take you to Pali via Abu Road and Sirohi (Palanpur - Pali should be about 232 Km). From Pali take NH 65 to Jodhpur via Rohet (Pali- Jodhpur is about 70 Km). Hence Ahmedabad -Jodhpur should be just under 450 Km (Source Eicher Road Atlas). Pls. note I haven't travelled Ahmedabad -Jodhpur but given that highways in Rajasthan are generally excellent and Ahmedabad -Palanpur is a well travelled route (people take it to go to Mount Abu), the roads should be fine.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Agree entirely with Nitin.
The road from Ahmedabad is good all along. At Palanpur, you take the bypass and keep going straight on NH14.