Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th December 2008, 18:18   #1
BHPian

Default Hyderabad to Ooty

I need to drive to Ooty from Hyderabad during Christmas. Can anyone please help me chalk out the route? I would like to avoid Bangalore city as well as Mysore city. If anyone knows the exact route please share the info. Thank you.
lejhoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 20:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get to Hebbal flyover near Bangalore and then take a right on the ORR. Drive towards Peenya and join NH4. Take a left that connects to the NICE corridor on the other side. This will take you to Mysore road.

Just after you cross Srirangapatna there's a junction with a signal. Take either the left or the right as both are ring roads around the city. I prefer the left as its shorter, some prefer going through the town if its during non peak hours. Some take the right as its simpler though longer !!
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 08:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just to what csenthil said,

Whjen you are coming on NH7 towards Bangalore, after crossing the new Airport, Yelahanka, you reach the Hebbal flyover. There are very clear signboards indicating NH4 (towards Tumkur), which is what you should take. This road will take you through Jalahalli (Bharat Electronics - BEL) factory and reach you - via some narrow roads, a level crossing) to the NH4 junction near Dasarahalli/Peenya. Turn right onto it (towards Tumkur, left goes towards Bangalore suburb Yeshwantpur and the rest of the city). Within 200 metres is another junction, where the left goes to Mysore. Both these signals are chaotic and when you turn right onto NH4, please remember to stick to your extreme left lane else you will find it difficult to turn left onto the Mysore Road (Outer Ring Road) - signages are good here too. Keep going on ORR and you will hit the Bangalore-Mysore highway near Kengeri.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 10:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Just to what csenthil said,
turn left onto the Mysore Road (Outer Ring Road) - signages are good here too. Keep going on ORR and you will hit the Bangalore-Mysore highway near Kengeri.
is this junction known as magadi road junction?. from there is it a right to mysore?
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 12:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
is this junction known as magadi road junction?. from there is it a right to mysore?
No, when you are on the ORR, you intersect Magadi Road and go beyond to Mysore Road.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 12:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, when you are on the ORR, you intersect Magadi Road and go beyond to Mysore Road.
so take right on magadi road intersection and take immediate left and continue on ring road and enter kengeri satellite town and readch mysore road near flyover. is that right? (join near bombay rayons)
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 14:10   #7
BHPian

If you are crossing the City @ night or early hour before 7AM them it advisable to take the City route. This will save time and petrol too. Same apply for Mysore.
You can take the West Of Chord Road to reach Mysore road too.
By the way after Mysore Road is not very good.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 13:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
If you are crossing the City @ night or early hour before 7AM them it advisable to take the City route. This will save time and petrol too. Same apply for Mysore.
You can take the West Of Chord Road to reach Mysore road too.
By the way after Mysore Road is not very good.
Thank you all. I hope to start early from Hyderabad, say around 4 in the morning. That means I have to avoid Bangalore city because it will be evening peak hour when I cross Bangalore. I will be forced to take ORR. Could you please tell me how many km I need to drive more to avoid the city?
A friend of mine who returned from Mysore last week tells me the road is fine beyond Mysore. He had been to Waynad.
Old 21st December 2008, 23:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

The road after Mysore is not good in the sense that its not a 4 lane like the one you take uptil Mysore. Also more potholes till Nanjangud. Nanjangud to Gundulpet is ok. Gundulpet till the forest section begins is ok. After that road conditions improve. You cross into Kerala and the roads are really very very good.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:30   #10
BHPian

Thank you everyone. I went round for a long trip. Returned just before New Year. Started at 6 am on the 24 from Hyderabad and got stuck at Jadcharela due to head-on collision between two trucks. It was around 9.30 am when I could pull into NH& again. Reached Mandya, near Mysore around 8.30 p. Stayed in Hotel Haripriya overnight. Morning around 7 changed the itinerary and headed back to Muddur (8 km) and turned towards Malavalli, enroute to Satyamangalam and Coimbotore. Went round Coimbotre, including Shiruvani and left for Calicut in the night around 8.30. Drove through Plaghat, Mannarkad etc. and reached Calicut after midnight. Halted there with a friend. Next day drove to Guruvayoor, Trichur, etc. Came back to Calicut, and the following day left for Mysore via Sultan Battery about 7.30 in the morning. Drove throughout the day and most of the night and reached Hyderabad in the wee hours. I drove Palio MJD. Had to drive single-handedly. Good car. Driver seat not very comfortable for long trips. I remember the last time I drove Cielo almost the same route. Then I didn't feel a thing after such hectic driving. Palio gave 22 kmpl average.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know you had a safe trip. Hope you enjoyed your vacation. Any updates on the roads that you did recently? The good ones and the bad ones??
Old 8th January 2009, 15:34   #12
BHPian

The road from Hyderabad to Banglore is under massive renovation. It means every 10 km or less one has to face a diversion. Apart from these diversion, the surface of the road is very good. One can go in good speed, at least during the day.
The Bangalore-Mysore road is the best. Except for a couple of unmarked speed-breakers and some real traffic stoppers at Mandya, the road is fantastic.
The road branching off at Maddur, a few km before Mandya, towards Coimbatore is a bit nerve-racking. It's fine till about Charmrajanagar, or much before it. If anyone drives through this stretch on any low slung vehicle, like Honda City, the one is in great trouble. It's practically a metal road, with innumerable potholes--typical Indian rural road. Once you are at the boarder of Tamilnadu, say Satyamangalam, the road as well as the scenery changes for good. Even the ghat section at Annur etc. is a pleasure.
Again, the road from Coimbatore to Calicut is very good. In fact, I found the major roads in Kerala surprisingly smooth, tortuous bends notwithstanding. I drove from Calicut to Trichur and back on two different routes. They too were fine.
The road from Calicut to Gundalpet, via Sultan Batteri is quite drivable. A few hairpin bends in the ghat section were under repair, especially the ones near the lower end. Road from Gundalpet to Nanjangud and Mysore is OK. The only draw back is it is just a two-track road with stretches it being used by farmers to dry or separate chaff of the harvest. If one drives a rear-wheel drive vehicle that is again low slung, chances are this hay may wind up on the rod to the differential and bring the vehicle to a halt.
As for food, you hardly see any good eatery on the Hyderabad-Bangalore stretch. It is due to the road-widening. Again, there is no shady place to rest along the road, except for a few patches near Anantpur.
I'd like to tell the mates who advised me on the ring road at Bangalore that I completely missed the Hebbel flyover. However, turned at the Tumkur road and along Rajaji road etc. passed in front of ISKON temple and Metro and hit the Mysore road. On my way back I drove through the ring road. The former looked much easier.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Any reasons why you took the Maddur route to Chamrajnagar? though it is the shortest route the road conditions are pretty bad. Ideally Mysore - nanjangud - chamrajnagar - Sathy is the better route. however nanjangud - chamrajnagar road condition is so so but not terribly bad as far as i know.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Any reasons why you took the Maddur route to Chamrajnagar? ...
Three years back I took the route from Nanjangud to Coimbatore. I remember the ride was not at all happy. I reckon the ride from the boarder of Tamil Nadu was excellent even then. So this time I just wanted to see how the road is. Moreover, this is the route I got through yahoo maps.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:49   #15
BHPian

Lejhoom I am Planning A Drive To OOty From Hyderabad In The First Week Of December. An Updates About The Road Conditions Of NH7 Post Floods.
vikram.vns is offline   Reply With Quote