Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th January 2009, 11:45   #1
BHPian

Default pune/ Mumbai to Gir National Park ?

Hi ,

Can somebody help me to do a short trip from pune / mumbai to Gir national park? ( 4 days max)

( We will not use our CAR )

Where to stay? How to travel from amadabad to Gir? How long it takes ?
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 14:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Hi ,

Can somebody help me to do a short trip from pune / mumbai to Gir national park? ( 4 days max)

( We will not use our CAR )

Where to stay? How to travel from amadabad to Gir? How long it takes ?
Hey, am planning to drive down to Gir from Bombay for a short holiday. Incase you were able to make it to Gir, would appreciate any tips.

Cheers!!!
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS, Gujarat, Dec 2003
You can check out my log book for my drive from BOmbay to Saurashtra, which also covers Gir. However, this was not a direct drive.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

And you can also refer the attached file which I had helped someone with a route guide to go to Somanath, which is off Veraval. You can go to Gir from Veraval, or alternatively turn off at Gadu (before Veraval) towards Tala, which is the town just before Gir.
Attached Files
File Type: xls bombayveraval.xls (16.0 KB, 1126 views)
Old 17th March 2009, 15:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
And you can also refer the attached file which I had helped someone with a route guide to go to Somanath, which is off Veraval. You can go to Gir from Veraval, or alternatively turn off at Gadu (before Veraval) towards Tala, which is the town just before Gir.
hi Kumar,

we are planning to attend a wedding in Bhavnagar ( Gujarat) in Mid-May and are planning to go by Road from Pune to Bhavnagar. We are planning for 2 breaks to visit relatives on the way at Vapi and Vadodara. What would be a good route to follow for this trip ?

a)Pune-Nashik(nh50)-Vapi(sh 26 and sh 185)-Surat-Bharuch-Vadodara(nh8)-Bhavnagar and back
or
b) Pune-Shahpur(nh 50 and sh 54)-Manor-Vapi-Surat-Bharuch-Vadodara(nh8)-Bhavnagar and back
or
c) Pune-Thane-ghodbunder road- Manor-Vapi-Surat-Bharuch-Vadodara-Bhavnagar and back.

since its peak summer, we would like to travel during the early part of the day and take a break at Vapi and then make a night halt at Vadodara( have my parents and kids with me -so travelling at a stretch will be out of question)

Do let me know the most convenient route as well as also advise on any do's donts since its my first long inter-state trip by road.

thanks
kpb
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 00:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Route C/ is the obvious choice, it having good 4-lane roads all the way. You can easily reach Baroda for the night if you leave Pune early enough - say, 5 am - so that you have an easy passage through Thane, although getting delayed between Surat and Baroda is always a frustrating possibility.

As you can see from the log book I sent you earlier, the route to Bhavnagar is what I have taken from Bombay: Thane-Vapi-Surat-Baroda-Vasad-Borsad-Velavdhar-Bhavnagar.

Lots of hotels where you can halt en route till Baroda. Road from Vataman to Bhavnagar is a little lonely and poor in facilities. Signages are good. Road condition is good. Bypassing Bombay (New Bombay-Thane-Ghodbunder) is a simple route.

Carry all original documents. I have seen harassment by Gujarat cops for not having a yellow sticker in the right headlamp, so maybe you can stick one.
Old 18th March 2009, 06:49   #7
BHPian

thanks for the feedback kumar -- will follow the instructions mentioned -- even i have seen the yellow sticker business in Gujarat during my last trip -- will buy one to save some harrasement on that front
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 01:06   #8
BHPian

Road conditions on this rout is quite good, only thing you should take care is to confirm your driving direction at each junction after Baroda onwards.

For Baroda to Bhavnagar it's having good roadsignes throughout the road. Vadodara - Vasad (Take left exit from NH 8) - Borsad - Tarapur - Vataman (Take left from X road) - Pipari - Dholera - Bhavnagar.

As your first destination is Bhavnagar do not follow below mentioned rout for Junagadh, Gir, Saurastra as from Bhavnagar another direct route is goining towards Junagadh, Gir.

For direct Saurastra, Junagadh, Diu etc, you should take right exit (No Signboard)from Pipari. From Vataman Chawkdi onwards you need to ask locals for your next junction on the Map. (Once you cross Vadodara / Baroda Do not inquire with locals for the final destination instead be advised to ask the rout for next immediate junction only)
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote