Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:12   #811
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Past Gundlupet, took the usual Mallavali- Kanakpura road. However, road condition between Gundlupet and Chamarajanar is a mixed bag. It as good sections, bad sections and work in progress sections. Took around 50 mins to cross this section. Usual time in this route is around 35 mins.
...
With the Mysore - Gundlupet section getting done fast, I guess it may be better to take Gundlupet - Mysore Ring road - Mallavalli - Kanakpura road once Bannur section is completed.
During my last 2 trips to Kalpetta (10th July and 30th July) I took the Malavalli-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet route when going and Gundlupet-Nanjangud-Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli while returning. Nanjangud-Mysore is still a real pain to drive thanks to the heavy traffic trying to squeeze in left, right and center through the sections with diversions. The road around Bannur town continues to be in pretty bad shape and no signs of any work starting there. Also there's a small culvert under repair just at the entry to the town which allows only one way traffic - and this can be an additional bottleneck.

The return route via Mysore did take about 3 to 4 minutes less than the one via CR Nagar (1 hr 39 mins vs 1 hr 43 mins for 106/109 kms respectively). I think the average speed is very similar in the two cases only because of the excellent road conditions in the Gundlupet-Nanjangud and Bannur-Malavalli sections which allow much higher speeds - the slower sections are actually a little worse.

So overall nothing much to choose between the two. I think I will stick to the CR Nagar route for now since the combination of heavy traffic and bad roads is something that I really hate and hence a deal breaker for me.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 14:17   #812
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,206 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Toll booth near Bandipur forest entry is getting ready.
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img20160813wa0008.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 20:03   #813
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

First India visit in 4 years. Reading all the posts here, had been itching to drive and so for a first ride itself, took a solo drive upto Bathery to meet someone for about an hour. Started from home in Indiranagar area and rode through the city itself. Went via Mysore and returned via NH209.

As is the norm, posting the brief log here:

As is the norm, posting the brief log here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kms - Time - Point - P2P Distance - Leg Distance - Total Distance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
87906 - 4.30 AM - Home@BLR 0 0 - 0
88015 - 7.00-7.30 AM - BF@Mandya 109 109 - 109
88168 - 10.00-11.30 AM - Sultan Bathery 153 262- 262
88223 - 12.30 PM Gundlupet 55 55 - 317
88255 - 1.15 PM - Chamraj Nagar - 32 - 87 - 349
88292 - 2.00-3.00 PM - Lunch@Kollegal - 37 - 124 - 386
88412 - 5.00 PM - NICE Road Entry - 120 - 244 - 506
88446 - 6.00 PM - Home@BLR - 34 - 278 - 540
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th August 2016 at 11:36. Reason: Post edited to make it easier to read. Thanks
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 19:14   #814
BHPian
 
i20ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore/ Pgt
Posts: 96
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Did Calicut- Kalpetta- Kattikulam- Bavali- Hampapura- Mysore- Bangalore couple of days back. Nice beautiful drive through some real smooth tarmac. Attaching a few pics

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_135845819min.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_140058867_hdrmin.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_140921083_hdrmin.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_144412433_hdrmin.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_144555353_hdrmin.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_144644057_hdrmin.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_145024571_hdrmin.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20160821_153130689min.jpg
i20ian is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 11:21   #815
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Did a quick trip to Calicut and back (23/8 out, 24/8 return).

Outbound: Had to drop my son at school so could start only past 7 AM. Google Maps suggested Dommasandra-Huskur-E. City (son's school is at Gunjur). What a route! Still, was at NICE entry in 20 minutes from school, that too because a railway gate was closed.

Went Kanakapura-Malavally-Bannur-Mysore. Bannur-Mysore upgrade is happening in full swing. Except for the final perhaps 6-8 km, it is fully done. Even for that part, clearing the sides, digging and installing the foundation etc. has been completed; all that remains is the surfacing. I expect this would be ready in another 2-3 weeks. Even now, I felt the route saved a good 30 minutes when compared to BM Road a weekday morning.

Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet we know; few diversions here and there, maybe a couple of culverts unfinished. There's a toll booth coming up just outside Mysore. I covered this stretch in about 45 minutes (previously it used to take 75-90 minutes), so that's one toll I'd gladly pay. Another toll is coming up outside Gundlupet towards Bathery.

Return was an all-night drive via Palakkad-Salem. There were Janmastami processions at pretty much every town between Calicut and Palakkad; and after Mannarkad (past 9 PM) there was a huge convoy of 100-odd car carriers. Took nearly 4 hours for Calicut to Olavakkode (where I stopped for tea). From there till home took only a further 6 hours (about 420 km).
binand is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 22:33   #816
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post

Thanks all for the inputs. However, had to cancel the trip due to some change in plans. But after seeing i20ians snaps and all the suggestions, would surely do it some day soon.

FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did a Bangalore - Calicut trip last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Did Calicut- Kalpetta- Kattikulam- Bavali- Hampapura- Mysore- Bangalore couple of days back. Nice beautiful drive through some real smooth tarmac.
So finally my Bangalore-Calicut drive is finalising .

The plan is to spend some time in Wayanad on the return journey, with stay at Sulthan bathery. So the itinerary is
Saturday - Bangalore (EC) to calicut. Planning to start around 5am
Sunday - Calicut
Monday - Calicut to Sulthan Bathery. Planning to start around 8am
Tuesday - Sulthan bathery to Bangalore. Planning to start around 1pm

Now for my onwards journey to Calicut,

1.which would be the better route - via Wayanad or via Gudalur-Nilambur.
2. How is Kanakapura- charmarjanagar- Gudalur route now. Read there was Nijaguna Residency for breakfast at charmarajanagar.


For my return journey on Tuesday considering it would be a working day, which would be a better option

1. charmarjanagar - kanakapura - EC

2. Sulthan Bathery - Bavali - Handpost - Mysore - EC (Also if via Wayanad is the suggested onward journey, would this be a good route to take?)

And how are the road conditions in all these routes?

FundaG

Last edited by SDP : 1st September 2016 at 11:49. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
fundagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 08:34   #817
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Saturday - Bangalore (EC) to calicut. Planning to start around 5am
Tuesday - Sulthan bathery to Bangalore. Planning to start around 1pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
1.which would be the better route - via Wayanad or via Gudalur-Nilambur.
With your proposed starting time, you will be in Nilambur by around 10 AM. The road Vazhikkadavu-Nilambur-Arekkode-Calicut is very narrow and goes through several densely populated small towns. I will not recommend it for daytime drive because it will be very time consuming and frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
2. How is Kanakapura- charmarjanagar- Gudalur route now. Read there was Nijaguna Residency for breakfast at charmarajanagar.
My opinion of Nijaguna's food is not very flattering; but others seem to like it. You definitely can break here for food. They start the breakfast service at 7:30 AM.

Apart from that, the downsides of this route are: many narrow bridges, villages near Yelandur where the road is barely one lane wide, no (viable) bypass routes for Kollegal and Chamarajanagar, no food or toilet options etc. On the plus side it is a great road for the most part with not much traffic. Ch. Nagar-Gundlupet is I believe quite bad now in sections.

In my view, the pluses outweigh the minuses, but my trips are usually alone. With family I rarely take this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
For my return journey on Tuesday considering it would be a working day, which would be a better option

1. charmarjanagar - kanakapura - EC
2. Sulthan Bathery - Bavali - Handpost - Mysore - EC (Also if via Wayanad is the suggested onward journey, would this be a good route to take?)
You are starting from Bathery. Go the direct route - NH 212 from Bathery to Gundlupet. The other routes are all circuitous and time consuming. On a weekday I don't think the BM Road is a problem either; so you should take Gundlupet-Mysore-Mandya-Bangalore.

On your onward route, you can consider the Mysore-Bavali route as it has less traffic and bypasses Mannthavady town (Bathery doesn't have a bypass and has frequent jams). The downside is that this is not a national highway hence not as well maintained as NH 212.
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 11:38   #818
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,206 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
1. charmarjanagar - kanakapura - EC
Second Binand on the Nilambur route.
For Bangalore - S Bathery - Calicut best is to opt from either of these two routes-
1. NICE road Kanakpura exit - Kanakpura - Chamarajanagar- Gundlupet- Bathery - Calicut.
2. NICE road Mysore road exit - Mysore - Gundlupet- Bathery - Calicut.

Both routes have good road apart from ~2 KM section in Chamarajanagar - Gundlupet due to road work.
Mysore road has better food options and also heavy traffic, more so since your onwards journey is on start of a weekend.

My suggestion, if possible to start ~04:00 AM take Mysore road towards Calicut. You will be able to beat weekend traffic and also will cross Bathery just before office time.

If that is not possible, you can take Kanakpura road.

Return, you can take the different route compared to onward trip just for the sake of it. Since its a weekday, both roads will be comparitively empty.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 12:26   #819
BHPian
 
i20ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore/ Pgt
Posts: 96
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
So finally my Bangalore-Calicut drive is finalising .

The plan is to spend some time in Wayanad on the return journey, with stay at Sulthan bathery.
Tuesday - Sulthan bathery to Bangalore. Planning to start around 1pm

2. Sulthan Bathery - Bavali - Handpost - Mysore - EC (Also if via Wayanad is the suggested onward journey, would this be a good route to take?)

And how are the road conditions in all these routes?

FundaG
Regarding routes I agree with binand and suhas. On the sight seeing side, since you have mentioned that you want to spend some time in wayanad, while returning, if you take the bavali route and if you can start a bit more early you can visit kuruva islands as it is on the way.
If you want to spot some wild life, bathery- muthanga route will be the better option.
i20ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:16   #820
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
With your proposed starting time, you will be in Nilambur by around 10 AM. The road Vazhikkadavu-Nilambur-Arekkode-Calicut is very narrow and goes through several densely populated small towns. I will not recommend it for daytime drive because it will be very time consuming and frustrating.

n your onward route, you can consider the Mysore-Bavali route as it has less traffic and bypasses Mannthavady town (Bathery doesn't have a bypass and has frequent jams). The downside is that this is not a national highway hence not as well maintained as NH 212.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Second Binand on the Nilambur route.
For Bangalore - S Bathery - Calicut best is to opt from either of these two routes-
1. NICE road Kanakpura exit - Kanakpura - Chamarajanagar- Gundlupet- Bathery - Calicut.
2. NICE road Mysore road exit - Mysore - Gundlupet- Bathery - Calicut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Regarding routes I agree with binand and suhas. On the sight seeing side, since you have mentioned that you want to spend some time in wayanad, while returning, if you take the bavali route and if you can start a bit more early you can visit kuruva islands as it is on the way.
If you want to spot some wild life, bathery- muthanga route will be the better option.

Thanks guys. So just confirming on the routes

Will this be a good one for onward journey on saturday.
https://goo.gl/maps/nXm7SManM1H2

Really would love to check out this route after seeing i20ians photos.


And thinking of this for return journey
https://goo.gl/maps/rU9zCL4E6Bx

Will be staying at a place in Sulthan Bathery around 17kms from Muthanga and within the forest area. So hoping to see some wildlife during the stay. Incase we dont, maybe will do a safari in Muthanga during the trip back. OR can come back via Bavali route itself and check out Kurvadeep on the way.

I have been to Kurvadeep during my college days and it was fun crossing all those streams. But is it safe to explore with a 6yr old. Infact, the only place am planning to visit this time is Pookodu lake. Would love to revisit Edakkal caves, but dont think I will have the stamina to carry my kid all the way up incase she chickens out.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:23   #821
BHPian
 
i20ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore/ Pgt
Posts: 96
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Thanks guys. So just confirming on the routes

Will this be a good one for onward journey on saturday.
https://goo.gl/maps/nXm7SManM1H2
From the hand post junction the SH33 through Nisna leading directly to kattikulam via bavali is equally scenic. No need to go to heggadevankote and then take Nagarhole route through kutta tholpetty.

This stretch runs parallel to kabini reservoir and also passes through another range of nagarhole forest. The roads are beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
But is it safe to explore with a 6yr old. Infact, the only place am planning to visit this time is Pookodu lake. Would love to revisit Edakkal caves, but dont think I will have the stamina to carry my kid all the way up incase she chickens out.

FundaG
I think water levels will be on the higher side now in kuruva island though I've not been there recently. You need to keep an eye on your junior. The place is nevertheless enjoyable.
i20ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:28   #822
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
From the hand post junction the SH33 through Nisna leading directly to kattikulam via bavali is equally scenic. No need to go to heggadevankote and then take Nagarhole route through kutta tholpetty.

This stretch runs parallel to kabini reservoir and also passes through another range of nagarhole forest. The roads are beautiful.
Didnt quite get what you meant by this route.. Can you pls share the google map route for this.

Or is this the route you were referring to.
https://goo.gl/maps/MPUbWZW5Sxo

Also for this route, google maps is showing a way which sort of bypasses Mysore and joins Srirangapatna directly to Hunsur. So which one..
https://goo.gl/maps/BwFwxzAjhnu


FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 2nd September 2016 at 17:50.
fundagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:33   #823
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Will this be a good one for onward journey on saturday.
https://goo.gl/maps/nXm7SManM1H2
This is quite fine; but note that it has minor routing issues:

1. It is routing you through Mysore city and that too not via the best possible route. Depending on the time of the day it might be OK or not OK. My advice would be to take the left-turn at Columbia Asia hospital junction and the MRR.

2. It is turning off the Kattikulam-Mananthavady road too early towards Panamaram. I'm not too sure of the road conditions on this route. The place where I turn off is onto Mananthavady bypass - it is the junction immediately after White Fort restaurant (the left turn is clearly marked as the bypass towards Kalpetta and Calicut).

3. It is taking you into Kalpetta town; where you could get caught up in bad jams. Unless you really have things to do inside the town, take the Kalpetta bypass. This comes within 200m of the junction where the road from Mananthavady joins NH 212 coming from Bathery.
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 12:41   #824
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Second Binand on the Nilambur route.
For Bangalore - S Bathery - Calicut best is to opt from either of these two routes-
1. NICE road Kanakpura exit - Kanakpura - Chamarajanagar- Gundlupet- Bathery - Calicut.
2. NICE road Mysore road exit - Mysore - Gundlupet- Bathery - Calicut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
From the hand post junction the SH33 through Nisna leading directly to kattikulam via bavali is equally scenic. No need to go to heggadevankote and then take Nagarhole route through kutta tholpetty.

This stretch runs parallel to kabini reservoir and also passes through another range of nagarhole forest. The roads are beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is quite fine; but note that it has minor routing issues:

1. It is routing you through Mysore city and that too not via the best possible route. Depending on the time of the day it might be OK or not OK. My advice would be to take the left-turn at Columbia Asia hospital junction and the MRR.

2. It is turning off the Kattikulam-Mananthavady road too early towards Panamaram. I'm not too sure of the road conditions on this route. The place where I turn off is onto Mananthavady bypass - it is the junction immediately after White Fort restaurant (the left turn is clearly marked as the bypass towards Kalpetta and Calicut).

3. It is taking you into Kalpetta town; where you could get caught up in bad jams. Unless you really have things to do inside the town, take the Kalpetta bypass. This comes within 200m of the junction where the road from Mananthavady joins NH 212 coming from Bathery.
Thanks guys.. Made it to Calicut with no issues. Took the Nagarhole route. Post Mysore it was a great drive with not much traffic apart from the local vehicles. And the scenery was really great with cloudy weather and light rains all the way.

Heading out to Sulthan Bathery on Monday morning..

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 14:08   #825
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
2. It is turning off the Kattikulam-Mananthavady road too early towards Panamaram. I'm not too sure of the road conditions on this route. The place where I turn off is onto Mananthavady bypass - it is the junction immediately after White Fort restaurant (the left turn is clearly marked as the bypass towards Kalpetta and Calicut).
The one marked in this route is the one that I generally take when going via the Kabini route. The road is slightly narrow, but the surface quality is (*) good, has very little traffic and saves you some 3-4 kms compared to the one marked on signboards as "Mananthavady bypass".

(* : The road condition mentioned was what it was about 6 months ago - haven't taken that route for a while now)
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calicut - Trivandrum - Calicut Route Updates nairrk Route / Travel Queries 99 19th October 2017 15:13
1st ever Mini meet in Calicut. Post here for all future Calicut mini meets.. MaserQ The Team-BHP Meet Section 17 8th August 2017 04:32
Bangalore-Calicut alternate route ccnarayanan Route / Travel Queries 1 1st January 2014 13:35
3 bhpians coming to calicut, calicut bhpians want a meet? pramodkumar The Team-BHP Meet Section 9 26th September 2011 21:51
Need some pointers! Calicut - Aluva - Rameshwaram - Madurai - Ramakkalmedu - Calicut Klub Class Route / Travel Queries 8 18th March 2011 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks