Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 14:43   #31
Team-BHP Support

Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
its is also possible to download google maps and use it in offline mode with application's like MGmaps. I am using them on my E90 and the best part is that they are free.
The only downside is that they do not offer navigation or mapping but if its only maps that one would want and see their position on the maps with gps this mgmaps is quite good an option.
It is possible. If you are using MGMaps, you need to download a portion of maps by indicating what you section you need. For this section, you will end up downloading all the possible tiles to the zoom level you need. More the zoom level, higher the number of files. These huge set of files, you will need to transfer to your device. My only problem is that, the map data is not in a compact format, and hence the amount of files you end up needing to transfer to the phone would be huge. Many times the process can crash.

I dont want to keep translating for each section separately and keep copying whatever I need. For that I would rather prefer a paid solution.

BTW it was also published that an offline mode of google maps would be supported in Android 2.1. I am not sure if its the offline mode in true sense or the cached mode (which I think is already available).
Old 24th January 2012, 14:49   #32
Lightbulb Best GPS system for Punto...

I am planning to buy a GPS system for my Punto pretty soon. What is the best GPS system that 10-15k INR could buy? Gamin? MapMyIndia? Which models?

If possible, I would want the system to also have advanced features like bluetooth and video streaming.

Much thanks for your advice.
Closed Thread