Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 09:58   #31
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Namakkal is between Salem and Musiri. I too traveled on this good, short route several times for my Pillayarpatti visit. But, I don't know the present road conditions.

I think you have quoted me before i edited my post. Yes, Namakkal is between salem and trichy
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 10:44   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,586
Thanked: 8,554 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Before entering into Karaikudi there are two alternative routes. One is the bus route which takes you into many small towns and the other one is the route which takes you to Kalanivaasal in the karaikudi town. This is the best route because of less amount of traffic.

I don't think reaching Madurai and then coming to karaikudi through pillaiyarpatti is a short one. Off course there exists a route but it amounts to travelling more number of Kms.Also Karur/Dindugal/Nattham/Karur is all surely not required at all.
The route via Natham seems to be about 40Km longer, but definitely seems more enterprising as one get to be on 4L for much longer distance. (Drive till Dindigul is 4L)
Have you tried the Natham route? Would be great to know your experiences.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 20:29   #33
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

No i haven't travelled via Natham in car. But i have visited Natham.It is always better to reach salem-trichy-pudukottai-tirumayam-karaikudi.

Even though the stretch betwenn Pudukottai and karaikudi is just an ordinary road, the traffic is less and this is the straight forward route.

I remember that the travel distance from city railway station,Bangalore to Karaikudi should be approx 450-460 kms.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 19:13   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
No i haven't travelled via Natham in car. But i have visited Natham.It is always better to reach salem-trichy-pudukottai-tirumayam-karaikudi.

Even though the stretch betwenn Pudukottai and karaikudi is just an ordinary road, the traffic is less and this is the straight forward route.

I remember that the travel distance from city railway station,Bangalore to Karaikudi should be approx 450-460 kms.
I travelled today to Karaikkudi from Bangalore. Left at 5.15 from my house on Bannerghatta road
Reached Karur at 8.45 where we had breakfast in town in a old joint - my wife used to work in Karur vysya bank and old memories - we spent an hour in Karur and we were on NH 7 at 9.45 and reached Karaikudi at 12.45 via Dindigul, Natham (pronounced as NATTAM) and Tirupattur. Fantastic road from Dindigul to Karaikkudi though it does not go through any forests or ghtas. Very green and nice .Total distance covered 480 KMs of pleasant drive. (Sent from my blackberry).
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 22:08   #35
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Great. I will also try this route once. Actually i travel to Devakottai which is after Karaikudi which is native town.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:43   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,586
Thanked: 8,554 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I travelled today to Karaikkudi from Bangalore. Left at 5.15 from my house on Bannerghatta road
Reached Karur at 8.45 where we had breakfast in town in a old joint - my wife used to work in Karur vysya bank and old memories - we spent an hour in Karur and we were on NH 7 at 9.45 and reached Karaikudi at 12.45 via Dindigul, Natham (pronounced as NATTAM) and Tirupattur. Fantastic road from Dindigul to Karaikkudi though it does not go through any forests or ghtas. Very green and nice .Total distance covered 480 KMs of pleasant drive. (Sent from my blackberry).
Great to know that this road from Dindigul via Nattam is amazing. How is the access to this road inside the town?
This adds up to quite a few nice combinations for bypssing Madurai.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:13   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great to know that this road from Dindigul via Nattam is amazing. How is the access to this road inside the town?
This adds up to quite a few nice combinations for bypssing Madurai.
I not aware whether there is any bye pass at Dindigul to Connect NH 7 with this road and went through town. The roads in Dindigul has improved a lot when I last saw it in 2009 when it was a mess. There was hardly any traafic and it was a smooth flow. In all other places this is the main highway and there is no hassles in passing through
any towns on the way.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:36   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,586
Thanked: 8,554 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I not aware whether there is any bye pass at Dindigul to Connect NH 7 with this road and went through town. The roads in Dindigul has improved a lot when I last saw it in 2009 when it was a mess. There was hardly any traafic and it was a smooth flow. In all other places this is the main highway and there is no hassles in passing through
any towns on the way.
I think there is no bypass. You have to get into the town. While searching on the net, I saw a news piece which said truckers had tough time to get on to this road, as the town corporation had stopped trucks to take Nattam road in the day time and these guys had no options. This made me infer that there is no bypass to this road. One has to go through the town.

But as said the road is good, I think these forms a nice potential option to hit interior TN rather than going through Trichy.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 21:53   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think there is no bypass. You have to get into the town. While searching on the net, I saw a news piece which said truckers had tough time to get on to this road, as the town corporation had stopped trucks to take Nattam road in the day time and these guys had no options. This made me infer that there is no bypass to this road. One has to go through the town.

But as said the road is good, I think these forms a nice potential option to hit interior TN rather than going through Trichy.
Ampere,

You are correct. There is no bye pass in Dindigul wich connects SH 35 with NH7 and you have drive through town. There are building a culvert or laying a huge pipe and have closed half of the road in the town. This may be the reason why the trucks are not allowed during day time. Dindigul not being big, manouvering inside the city is not an issue.

You are right, this route via Natham will open up options to explore the region - specially Chettinad.

BTW, we went to Rameswaram from Karaikkudi and the road again is very good. In fact, the stretch from Devipatnam till Rameaswaram must rank as one of the best roads in the country.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:03   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,586
Thanked: 8,554 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
BTW, we went to Rameswaram from Karaikkudi and the road again is very good. In fact, the stretch from Devipatnam till Rameaswaram must rank as one of the best roads in the country.
That should have been a great drive.
I had always heard that NH210 road conditions always being average.
But looks like this part of the stretch is worth it.

Any hotels you found on this route? How were the Traffic conditions?


Thanks again for sharing.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 09:19   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 738 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
BTW, we went to Rameswaram from Karaikkudi and the road again is very good. In fact, the stretch from Devipatnam till Rameaswaram must rank as one of the best roads in the country.
Very good ? Has Devakottai-Devipattinam improved that drastically ? I'd love to hear about it

Its the 2nd worst road I've seen in my life (first place being Thirunageswaram-Karaikal road until recently).
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 10:50   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Very good ? Has Devakottai-Devipattinam improved that drastically ? I'd love to hear about it

Its the 2nd worst road I've seen in my life (first place being Thirunageswaram-Karaikal road until recently).
Yes, ever since this road was widened some time ago. I have driven on it when it was super-bad - and like you say, one of the worst roads - but this entire region has now great roads, starting with the ECR itself from Ramanthapuram northwards to Nagapattinam.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 12:13   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 738 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
this entire region has now great roads, starting with the ECR itself from Ramanthapuram northwards to Nagapattinam.
Its good we dont have to look for alternatives driving from Trichy. I'd love to erase traumatic memories of the road. It took 4 hours to Karaikudi in 1999, and almost 8 hours to Rameswaram in 2003 from Trichy

I did explore ECR (Nagapattinam-Thirupullani) last October shortly after you enlightened about its second life! Its so sparsely trafficked, you cant get some 'surprises' close to towns.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 20:32   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That should have been a great drive.
I had always heard that NH210 road conditions always being average.
But looks like this part of the stretch is worth it.

Any hotels you found on this route? How were the Traffic conditions?
Yes, this was a great drive. We covered Karaikkudi - Rameswaram in two hours comfortably. I did not find any hotels enroute. There could be some in Ramnad which we did not entre as we drove on byepass. Even in Rameshwaram, i could see basic hotels catering to pligrims. The best place to stay is Karaikkudi or Kanadukathan which has fabulous hotels and explore the area as day trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Very good ? Has Devakottai-Devipattinam improved that drastically ? I'd love to hear about it

Its the 2nd worst road I've seen in my life (first place being Thirunageswaram-Karaikal road until recently).
Narayan, It is very good road excpet for small patches at some places which could total to some 500 metres out of 150 KMs. Some of the stretches seemed to be recently done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, ever since this road was widened some time ago. I have driven on it when it was super-bad - and like you say, one of the worst roads - but this entire region has now great roads, starting with the ECR itself from Ramanthapuram northwards to Nagapattinam.
Yes sir. ECR looked fabulous. Would love to drive on that some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its good we dont have to look for alternatives driving from Trichy. I'd love to erase traumatic memories of the road. It took 4 hours to Karaikudi in 1999, and almost 8 hours to Rameswaram in 2003 from Trichy

I did explore ECR (Nagapattinam-Thirupullani) last October shortly after you enlightened about its second life! Its so sparsely trafficked, you cant get some 'surprises' close to towns.
No need to go to Trichy anymore. With this road via Natham, Karaikkudi has a great potential to become tourist hub in future from where all the three places - Madurai, Trichy and Tanjavur can be comfortbaly done as a day trips.

Here are two pictures of Dindigul - Natham - Karaikkudi road. You will drive through canopy of large tamarind trees through out on this road and it looks lovely
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries-nat.jpg  

Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries-tam.jpg  

Fauji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 09:54   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 738 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I did not find any hotels enroute. There could be some in Ramnad which we did not entre as we drove on byepass.
There is atleast one good hotel on the right side as you drive inside Ramnad for a couple of kms. As you said services are minimal and morover petrol is buck more than Madurai/Madras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
No need to go to Trichy anymore. With this road via Natham, Karaikkudi has a great potential to become tourist hub in future from where all the three places - Madurai, Trichy and Tanjavur can be comfortbaly done as a day trips.
My case is different, I drive from Madras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Here are two pictures of Dindigul - Natham - Karaikkudi road. You will drive through canopy of large tamarind trees through out on this road and it looks lovely
Looks beautiful Have a question, where exactly does this road cut NH45B. If my guess is correct, it should be Melur where the road to Tiruppattur exits ??
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2824 8th December 2017 14:23
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
Wanderlust Traveller : Karaikudi & Thanjavur (Tamil Nadu) mpksuhas Travelogues 17 9th June 2015 16:36
First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries Newpunter Route / Travel Queries 6 13th December 2010 15:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks