Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st April 2015, 17:44   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Karaikudi : Route Queries

Planning for a trip to Karaikudi in couple of weeks from Bangalore.
From the posts above I guess Bangalore - Karur - Dindigul - Nattam - Karaikudi route. Any pointers on road condition would be helpful.

Also, for reaching towards Nattam (SH 35) which exit from NH 7 is better, NH 209 / Palani road one or Dindigul bye-pass one?
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 18:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
From the posts above I guess Bangalore - Karur - Dindigul - Nattam - Karaikudi route. Any pointers on road condition would be helpful.

Also, for reaching towards Nattam (SH 35) which exit from NH 7 is better, NH 209 / Palani road one or Dindigul bye-pass one?
You can try this route too Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, salem, Trichy and Pudokottai. Trichy to Pudukottai is a very good extended 2 lane road
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 18:48   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

- To take to the Nattam road, you have no other option but to get into Dindigul town
- On the way to Karaikudi you also visit Pilliarpatti (But I guess timing may not be apt. But you should plan for it)
- Nattam road is very nice. But there is lot of truck traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2015 at 19:16.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 21:56   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You can try this route too Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, salem, Trichy and Pudokottai. Trichy to Pudukottai is a very good extended 2 lane road
Thanks Suresh for the same.

Even I had a plan to take this route based on few comments on this thread. However, after visiting Karaikudi I am planning of driving to Chennai. Hence will be taking Karaikudi - Pudukottai - Trichy / Thanjavur, to avoid driving in same route thought of trying Dindigul - Karaikudi route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On the way to Karaikudi you also visit Pilliarpatti (But I guess timing may not be apt. But you should plan for it)
- Nattam road is very nice. But there is lot of truck traffic.
Thanks for the same.
Guess the timing aspect you mentioned is due to summer. Well, the entire trip is going to be in scorching sun. So will plan a stop at Pillarpatti, thanks.
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:09   #65
BHPian

Suhas,

I drove from Pillayarpatti to Dindigul via Nattam last November 2014. The road conditions are good. Just watch out for villages that you pass through. I didn't notice much truck traffic though as ampere mentioned.

While going from Bangalore, as ampere said, you got to go inside Dindigul town. Thats pretty confusing town to pass through once you exit NH7, so suggest you to use GPS which will help.

If you have time, you may also visit Kundrakudi Murugan temple.

Incase, if you are taking Trichy/Pudukkottai route, the road conditions are good as well. However don't get confused by seeing exit sign boards for Pillayarpatti after Thirumayam or even after Pudukkottai. It will take you to drive to Pillayarpatti via Tirupattur/Vairavanpatti/Sirukoodalpatti (The legend Kannadasan's birth place).

Instead, you may drive all the way down till Kanadukathan in the newly laid road and then deviate to Kundrakudi & Pillayarpatti, if temples are your destination. Else, just go straight further down to reach Karaikudi.

In terms of time, i would say more or less they are same. Just that you get more 4L, if you take NH7 route via Dindigul and pay more tolls
The Namakkal/Trichy/Pudukkottai route is 2L so you can't do high speeds but have to pass through villages a lot.

Better stick to NH7 as it is pretty easy !

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 22nd April 2015 at 00:13.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:12   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the same.
Guess the timing aspect you mentioned is due to summer. Well, the entire trip is going to be in scorching sun. So will plan a stop at Pillarpatti, thanks.
I meant the timing aspect from a darshan point of view. You will get to be there for the evening visit. You may have to visit and then head to Karaikudi in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I drove from Pillayarpatti to Dindigul via Nattam last November 2014. The road conditions are good. Just watch out for villages that you pass through. I didn't notice much truck traffic though as ampere mentioned.
May be that was because of the 4-laning from Dindigul/Madurai. But that was an earlier observation. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 31st May 2015, 23:09   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

A late update.

Did Bangalore - Karaikudi via Dindigul on 29th April

Start from Bangalore, Bellandur - 04: 30 AM

Reached Karpaka Vinayakar Temple at 11: 30 AM after a 40 mins breakfast break.

35 mins break at this temple and another 25 mins break at Shanmuga nathan temple and we reached Karaikudi before 01:00 PM.

Road conditions are good throughout.
Old 1st June 2015, 12:16   #68
BHPian

Quote:
A late update.

Did Bangalore - Karaikudi via Dindigul on 29th April

Start from Bangalore, Bellandur - 04: 30 AM

Reached Karpaka Vinayakar Temple at 11: 30 AM after a 40 mins breakfast break.

35 mins break at this temple and another 25 mins break at Shanmuga nathan temple and we reached Karaikudi before 01:00 PM.

Road conditions are good throughout.
Wow Suhas. ~6.5 drive to Pillayarpatti is impressive !
I thought you will be slowed down between Dindigul-Natham-Tirupattur-Pillayarpatti.

In the return, you came back in same route or via Pudukkottai?

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 21:23   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Wow Suhas. ~6.5 drive to Pillayarpatti is impressive

I thought you will be slowed down between Dindigul-Natham-Tirupattur-Pillayarpatti.
Hi Ravi,

Timings were as below -
04: 30 AM - Bellandur
08:15 AM - Hotel Valluvar (past Karur) - 35 mins break.
09:00 AM - Last toll booth before Dindugal on NH 7
11:20 AM- Pillayarpatti.

Return was via Thanjavur - Chennai - 2 day break - Vellore - Bangalore.

Travelogue link.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 1st June 2015 at 21:34.
Old 2nd June 2015, 08:51   #70
Team-BHP Support

Six and a half hours is really good. It all boils down to :

- How fast you can clear Salem.
- I can never do this under 3 including breakfast. Prefer hotels in Salem these days.
- Another 180km to Dindigul (2 hour 15 minutes of drive time. Can maintain about 75-80 average)
- Another 100km to the temple. (Say another 2 hours)

I would put at about 7 to 7.5 hours at a sedate pace inclusive of a nice breakfast break.

- So the main holding points are how fast you can cross Salem and hold on to hunger!
- How fast one can cross Dindigul and get on to Natham road.
- Those are the main impediments

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2015 at 09:36.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ravi,

Timings were as below -
04: 30 AM - Bellandur
08:15 AM - Hotel Valluvar (past Karur) - 35 mins break.
09:00 AM - Last toll booth before Dindugal on NH 7
11:20 AM- Pillayarpatti.

Return was via Thanjavur - Chennai - 2 day break - Vellore - Bangalore.

Travelogue link.
In less than 4 hours you managed to cross Karur which is about 275 kms from bangalore. I suppose traffic was very less and that you hardly encountered any bottlenecks in Salem
Were you constantly motoring at 120+ kmph speed?
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:42   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In less than 4 hours you managed to cross Karur which is about 275 kms from bangalore.
Actually this is possible even at sedate pace. Take the example of Bangalore-Goa. The first breakfast stop is typically Ranebennur which is about 330km from about NICE road entry at Electronic City. You can make it to this breakfast point in 4 hours. Its about 75-80km average. Just like Bangalore-Hosur, if you can beat the Bangalore-Tumkur traffic early, its a nice empty 6 lane beyond and you can easily make to the designated point at a sedate pace cruising just at three digits.

In the case one is heading south of Bangalore, it becomes a bit more difficult as Bangalore-Hosur is a bigger trouble. A state border crossing adds up and thanks to it, trucks pile-up. So if you can beat that aspect and with 6-lane up to Krishnagiri almost complete, I think its kind of possible. But not as easy as driving up on NH4.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:31   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How fast you can clear Salem.
- I can never do this under 3 including breakfast. Prefer hotels in Salem these days.
Exactly. Salem usually takes around 3 hours without break if you start early.

Since I stay next to ORR (my apartment overlooks ORR infact ) I can hit silkboard within 10 mins of start.

However, crossing Attibele toll booth is a pain usually. To avoid that if I am traveling on weekends I take Sarjapur - Bagalur road and start a shade before 04:00 AM. I have seen that if you cross silk board after 04:00 AM you encounter high traffic at both Krishnagiri & Attibele toll booths on weekends.

However, on weekdays like the Karaikudi trip day, even a late start is fine (04:30 AM). I took the Silkboard - Attibele route only, however I did not stop anywhere till past Karur.

I was able to cross Salem around 07:00, I don't remember the exact time but it was around 02 hour 45 mins from Bangalore. Since it was early, there was no blocks and signals were still on their blinker mode.

This was the first time I drove in to Dindugal town, though I got stuck at a junction by following GPS a friendly policeman redirected me to the correct route.
Past Dindigul I was maintaining speeds below 70 ~ 80 KMPH since the route was new to me and also it was two lane roads.

Quote:
In less than 4 hours you managed to cross Karur which is about 275 kms from bangalore. I suppose traffic was very less and that you hardly encountered any bottlenecks in Salem
Were you constantly motoring at 120+ kmph speed?
Exactly, as mentioned above I was able to cross Salem before office traffic started.

I had set my cruise to 110 KMPH for most of the trip. I am always bit scared to drive above 120 KMPH range no mater how good the road is.
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:43   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had set my cruise to 110 KMPH for most of the trip. I am always bit scared to drive above 120 KMPH range no mater how good the road is.
Just about a three digit cruise is I think the perfect speed for the 4-lanes. Because its never about high speed. Its always about how efficiently you drive without stopping much and are able to avoid blockage.

To prove it I have timed many of my Banglore-Salem drives, and many of early mornings, or afternoons (when Hosur was clear), I could easily cover Salem in 2 hour 30 minutes to the GRT point. And this is remaining just at about three digits and no higher. I never go beyond, as even I don't feel comfortable. Its always a question of efficiency rather than speed.

Last edited by ampere : 11th February 2016 at 08:07.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 22:42   #75
BHPian

Default Muthupet Lagoon + Kodikkarai (Kodiakarai) + Vedaranyam

I'm going to have an opportunity to drive back from Karaikudi to Thanjavur with a full day at my disposal. Planning to take a detour and head to Muthupet Lagoon , then to Kodikkarai ( mostly visiting Ramar Padam, Light house and WL sanctuary )

1) Is this doable in a day ( Karaikkudi - Muthupet Lagoon - Kodiakkarai - Vedaranyam - Thanjavur ( no sightseeing in Thanjavur ) - doable in a day with us being able to get back to Thanjavur not too late ?

2) Good places to eat on the way ? Thiruthuraipoondi ? Vedaranyam ?

3) Karaikudi - Muthupet : Should I prefer the route via Pattukottai or the coastal road ?

3a) Kodiakkarai - Thanjavur : Presume via Thiruthuraipoondi + Mannargudi is the best ?

4) Timings of Muthupet Lagoon ?

5) Timings of Point Calimere WLS ? (I'm going to call them tomorrow )

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by airguitar : 10th February 2016 at 22:45.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote