Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th March 2016, 22:30   #1801
BHPian

Hi F150. The difference between the two route is coming approximately 26kms. Amboli is 203 and Chorla is 229. Amboli is good but at the same time Chorla's road surface is better than Amboli IMO. For Chorla you have to drive upto Belgaum. I guess that wont be a problem due to the quality of the road. The distance from Hotel Kaveri to Belgaum is 60kms. Within no time you will reach Belgaum. Via Amboli you have to pass through villages after taking right from Kaveri Hotel and that would take some time and it is only two lane road. At what time you are leaving Kolhapur??
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 23:12   #1802
BHPian

Sorry skipped the timing part. I Thought you are travelling from Kolhapur. The distance calculated by me is from Kolhapur. You will cover lot of distance with 6AM start.

F150 i have attached the pics of the road which starts after taking right turn from Hotel Kaveri.

Road after you take right turn from Hotel Kaveri

I had taken pics when I was on the way to Goa. Pics of Amboli Ghat.

Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457891582.104612.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457891653.542374.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457891706.612108.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457891784.384568.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457891834.870402.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 13th March 2016 at 23:52. Reason: Note Inline
Old 14th March 2016, 11:39   #1803
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Initially the Nipani road was not in good shape so everyone used the Sankeshwar route. But off-late I have used it thrice in last 6 months and the road is super smooth. You save some kilometers this way.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 12:00   #1804
BHPian

I just did a Pune - Goa (Candolim) - Pune trip.

I took the Chorla ghat route. Its simply superb and butter smooth without any potholes. The distance might be extra by 25 odd Kms, but it is made up by road condition, driving pleasure and scenic journey. Only thing you have to mind is the sharp turns in the ghat.

Left from Pune at 5:45am and reached Candolim, Goa at 3:30pm. Total breaks - 1.5 hrs (1 hr lunch break in Belgaum, and 30 mins halt for breakfast before Kolhapur).

While returning, left Goa at 10:30am and reached home at 7:30pm. Total breaks - 1.5 hrs (lunch and tea)

Since it was a week day no rush at any tolls.

Every year I go to Goa and mostly take the Chorla ghat route.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th March 2016 at 14:46. Reason: Strictly no mention of alcohols directly or indirectly! Please abide by the rules of the board.
maverickxx2006 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 14:44   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
I just did a Pune - Goa (Candolim) - Pune trip.

Maverick did you click any pics of the Chorla Ghat. Which Car you were travelling in. Road from Belgaum to Kolhapur is just awesome.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th March 2016 at 11:08. Reason: Removing bulk of the quoted post; inconveniences our mobile users.
kabir3551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 15:57   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Goa on 25th MARCH. I have to reach Marriott Goa. Should I take the Amboli ghat route or Chorla ghar route ?

Planning to leave from PUNE at 6 AM.

Planning to leave GOA at 6AM, during return.

Please suggest a good place to stop for lunch.

Car: Skoda Rapid DSG.
Hi F150, I believe Marriott hotel you have mentioned is the one near Miramar Beach. Since I travel often on Goa-Pune route I have prepared a sample itinerary for you.

Pune Marriott Hotel, Panjim Via Kolhapur, Ajara, Amboli ghat, Sawantwadi.

Reason for choosing this route You need not have to go through Belgaum city. The time at which you will enter city, will slow down your progress.

Start from Pune 6.00 AM.

Breakfast Break- Hotel Sangam, Karad (Below Karad Flyover) 9.00 AM

Lunch Break Hotel Minerva Paradise, Ajara 12.30/1.00 PM
(If you feel lunch is bit early then you can have lunch at Amboli. There are few decent restaurants in Amboli).

Reach Marriott by 3.30/4.00 PM.

I have considered break of close to 2 hours.

The road is in good condition. In fact at some patches will find newly laid tarmac.

Marriott Hotel, Panjim Pune Via Chorla Ghat, Belgaum, Kolhapur, Pune

Reason for choosing this route You are starting afresh to deal with hairpin bends of Chorla Ghat & lesser or no traffic in Belgaum by the time you reach city.

Start from Panjim 6.00 AM

Breakfast Break Hotel Kaveri/Hotel Goa Ves/Hotel Amar/Hotel White House Tawandi Ghat 9.00/9.30

Lunch Break Hotel Mile Stone, Satara 12.30/ 1.00 PM

Reach Pune 4.00 PM

I have considered break of close to 2 hours.

I usually do not prefer Chorla ghat Road because of lesser to no mobile coverage.

All above timings are considered based on assumption of you are travelling with your family. Hotels I have mentioned need not require any detour & are easy to locate (Right next to Road).

P.S - Take a quick break in Belgaum to pick up Kunda from Purohit Sweet shop, opposite to Raja Lakhamagouda Science Institute (RLS Collage), in case you find it open.
Ertigiat is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 16:55   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Start from Pune – 6.00 AM.

Lunch Break – Hotel Minerva Paradise, Ajara – 12.30/1.00 PM
I find it very difficult to not want to sleep after lunch en route, and therefore always leave at 4 am on my Goa visits. Breakfast at Sai, at around 7 am and in time for lunch in Goa, between 12-1. This schedule allows me to have the usual blissful lunch at the destination in Goa followed by a couple of hours sleep without having to drive post lunch! And wake up in time for evening fun/frolic.

I always use Amboli, but I suspect that Chorla can work just as well.

I have found that if I can leave at 6 am, it doesn't take me more effort to leave at 4. It also allows me to have to drive in strong sun for just 3-4 hours.

Last edited by Sawyer : 14th March 2016 at 16:57.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 22:40   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Goa on 25th MARCH. I have to reach Marriott Goa. Should I take the Amboli ghat route or Chorla ghar route ?
Looks like we have the same destination . I will be leaving a day early on 24-March. I have done Pune - Goa multiple times and off late I have started preferring Amboli to Chorla.

Amboli is definitely shorter - I have left Pune at 6 AM and had lunch in North Goa at 2 PM with a 20 min break at Sai International just before Kolhapur. I have a 8 year and 4 year old with me and they start to get cranky towards the end, so time is of the essence for me. I plan to leave around the same time and aim to be in Panaji by 3:00 PM.

If you have no time constrainsts, I would recommend Chorla any day. Super smooth roads and a joy to drive. The only downside is getting stuck in Belgaum city traffic and it's a longer route.
jogidada is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 11:05   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
Hi F150. The difference between the two route is coming approximately 26kms. Amboli is 203 and Chorla is 229.
Quote:
Sorry skipped the timing part. I Thought you are travelling from Kolhapur. The distance calculated by me is from Kolhapur. You will cover lot of distance with 6AM start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Hi F150, I believe Marriott hotel you have mentioned is the one near Miramar Beach. Since I travel often on Goa-Pune route I have prepared a sample itinerary for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
Looks like we have the same destination . I will be leaving a day early on 24-March. I have done Pune - Goa multiple times and off late I have started preferring Amboli to Chorla.
The forum proves it reliability yet again, when a fellow bhpian asks for information. Thank you all the for the guidance.

On the return journey, I prefer faster route, as my sister has to catch her return flight to Delhi at 7 PM on the same day from Pune airport.

I would be driving back on Sunday morning, so if I assume that it will take 3 hrs to reach Belgaum, I wouldn't find much traffic at 9 AM on Sunday.

I think, I will follow Ertigiat's plan, but Jogidada is saying take chorla route if you dont have time constraints,which is again creating confusion, as I have to reach Pune in time to catch the flight.

About fuel, I don't think I have to refill as the 55 L tank on the rapid should suffice for the entire trip, assuming I will get 17kmpl.

Just to be more prepared, I need suggestions for preferred filling stations on this route.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th March 2016 at 11:09. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 12:08   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to be more prepared, I need suggestions for preferred filling stations on this route.
Simply take up the Amboli route - its shorter and quicker too. Not much traffic at this time of the year and early start would definitely be a plus. Kagal and Kolhapur would be just waking up from 8am onwards so you should be fine as long as you touch Kolhapur by 10am. Karad and Satara would be a traffic zone but nothing to be alarmed with - this is usual affair. Sunday would only help your cause.

For the fuelling, you can reach to Konduskar gas station before Kolhapur. Thats good and reliable one. If that is missed, you can fill in at Kolhapur. Stick to COCO as much as possible but otherwise I have not seen any issues so far with other fuel stations too.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 12:37   #1811
BHPian

Quote:

On the return journey, I prefer faster route, as my sister has to catch her return flight to Delhi at 7 PM on the same day from Pune airport.
Hi, I would recommend you to take Amboli route while returning. I too travel with kids & I prefer driving when they are fast asleep. I start my journey from Margao at 5.00 AM & touch NH4 at Nippani (Tawandi Ghat) at somewhere around 8.15/8.20. I do not take break in between.

So in case you start from Panjim at 6.00 AM you should be in Kolhapur by 9.30. Whereas route through Belgaum might take little longer.

I have attached a sample Journey Breakdown.

Have a safe journey.
Attached Images

Ertigiat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 12:49   #1812
BHPian

F150. I had started from Goa at 6am and reached Pune at 2pm with a halt of 30mins. I had done it via Chorla. With 6am start I didn't get any traffic in Belgaum. Once i touched Pune Bangalore there was no looking back. Just cruised the way. Important thing to note is I was in my new Innova so i was maintaining less than 3k RPM as car was in run-in. If you are using Rapid you can easily maintain speed of 120kmph, at the same time take all the safety measures.

Hi Abirnale and Ertigiat! We are discussing about both the routes, hairpin turns and traffic. But one factor which we missed is the ascend and descend of the ghat. While travelling from Pune to Goa I had taken Amboli Ghat route. While returning from Goa to Pune I took the Chorla route. The slope of the ghat i.e. descend is more on Amboli Ghat. One mistake committed by me was that, I drove the entire Amboli ghat in neutral. Later on one of my friend who is master in cars advised me not to descend ghat in neutral. The car will move because of the weight of the car, brakes will also work but while turning the weight of the car will cause the car to flip. After that I never descended ghat in neutral.
Coming back to the ascend and descend. The Amboli ghat has descend while going from Pune to Goa. I thought that the ascend will be same on the Chorla Ghat. Due to this reason I refilled the vehicle at the Petrol Pump before the start of the Chorla Ghat. The ascend on the Chorla Ghat is not what it would have been on the Amboli Ghat had I travelled via Amboli Ghat. I would request Ertigiat and Abirnale to share their views on the said point.

Last edited by Zappo : 15th March 2016 at 15:39. Reason: It always helps to think through and respond to everyone in post rather than making multiple posts. Back to back posts merged.
Old 15th March 2016, 14:35   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would request Ertigiat and Abirnale to share their views on the said point.
Yes, coasting in neutral in Ghat is bad idea. The simple rule of thumb - "Use the same gear to descend that you could have used to ascend."

The Chorala ghat also takes you higher up on ascend but they are gradual. Unlike in Amboli, they are not very steep but then you haven't seen Bawada steep ghats I guess. These are just usual ghat roads and Amboli is not at all an issue for ascend even if you see a bus coming onto you. There is enough space on the roads - lesser may be at places than Chorala route. When I have to travel to Sanquelim (place where my third home is) from Bangalore, I take up Chorala route and vice-versa. But if I am headed to Sanquelim to or from Sangli/ Kolhapur, I prefer to take Amboli. Around two years ago this Amboli route was very bad. And in monsoon, the crowd just makes it unbearable at Amboli ghat. Hence preferred Chorala. But the current weather conditions, road condition and crowd on the road, for Pune - Goa, Amboli makes sense in all scenarios.

A petrol vehicle must top up before leaving Goa - primarily because the cost of petrol is less in Goa So regardless of current levels of petrol in your car, take advantage of this if you can. Of course it does not make sense to fill in just 2 or 3 litres for the sake of it!

Last edited by abirnale : 15th March 2016 at 14:43.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 13:03   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
F150. I would request Ertigiat and Abirnale to share their views on the said point.
Honestly I never gave a thought to it (Amount of Ascend & Descend). I would be least bothered about ascend angle, provided there are lesser hair pin bends. As long as I my car is in right RPM I will not have to worry about ascend angle.

I agree with ABIRNALE. Gaganbawada ghats are much steeper than Amboli & Chorla.
Ertigiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 09:02   #1815
BHPian

For some reason, I never see a recommendation for Gaganbawda or Radhanagari ghat, its always a face off between Chorla and Amboli. Any particular reason for that?

Last edited by jogidada : 17th March 2016 at 09:08.
jogidada is offline   Reply With Quote