Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 23:06   #556
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 48
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
What about the other two roads from Belgaum to Goa? where do they go from?
Hi
a)If you take the left fork from Rani Chennamma Circle go past the Sanman Deluxe hotel on NH4A to Goa via Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda- Margao / Panjim
b) If you take the right fork from the circle the road takes you past the Eefa hotel to Goa via Amboli & Sawantwadi. This road is SH121.Pls note the Nipani-Ajra- Amboli Rd also joins the SH121 @ Amboli.
I drove on SH121 from Belgaum to Goa in Sept and the roads are good only in patches. Hence AVOID this road.

Cheers
narayan
,
Drivealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:39   #557
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Pune-Goa road condition update:

1] satara-karad-kolhapur-kagal: NH4- 4 lane-good condition.

2] kagal-nipani-sankeshwar: NH4-4 lane-best in condition[ gaddi bhagao jitna bhaga sakate ho].

3] sankeshwar-gadhinglaj: 15 km border road, 10 km in average condition, remaining 5km before gadhinglaj broken tarmac.

4] gadhinglaj-ajara: 22 km average road with occasional potholes but road repairing is in full swing.

5] aajra-amboli: 33 km mixed road, good roads till 10 km after aajra, then broken tarmac for next 10 km, then good road for next 5 km, then occasional broken tarmac till amboli.

6] amboli-ghat-danoli: 9 km ghat section is in best condition except 100 mtr stretch where landslide occurred this season.

7] danoli-banda: 15 km, surprise, surprise. As i quoted in last post that i will try this route, i did.
1 km after danoli at foothill of amboli ghat, small road leads to banda avoiding sawantwadi.
As road condition between sawantwadi and banda and particularly after banda checkpost to goa checkpost is not in good condition, i was not expecting anything great about this direct route to banda.
I stopped at the junction near danoli looking for someone to inquire about road condition, suddenly , Goa registered car zipped toward banda by that small road. No guess, i followed that car.
To my surprise, though the road is narrow, too much ups and downs, the tarmac is good with occassional broken road, don't worry, road condition is faaaar better than sawantwadi-banda road. It took 25 min to cross this 15 km stretch and landed at banda touching NH17 just 1km before Goa checkpost.
This stretch passes through countryside, absolutely no facilities, do not travel on this section after sunset.
I reccomend this stretch to travel during daytime, you will save at least 15km extra travel, will save atleast 45min in time, will save from cops at banda checkpost.
I will post the pics of this stretch tomorrow.

7] banda-goa/patradevi checkpost: 1km, work is going on, bad condition.

8] patradevi checkpost-mhapsa-calangut: good road


Return journey:

9] patradevi checkpost-banda-banda checkpost-sawantwadi:
As wifey wanted to buy some wooden items at sawantwadi, i took regular route while returning.
Goa checkpost to banda checkpost 5km is in really bad condition.
Banda checkpost to swantwadi, the road is mixed but its pain to drive on this stretch.
I regretted n times that i took this route instead of banda-danoli direct route.
If possible, while coming from goa, take banda-danoli direct route, you will save lot of trouble, time, kms and cops.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th November 2011 at 10:48.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:15   #558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new mumbai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
7] danoli-banda: 15 km, surprise, surprise. As i quoted in last post that i will try this route, i did.
1 km after danoli at foothill of amboli ghat, small road leads to banda avoiding sawantwadi.
As road condition between sawantwadi and banda and particularly after banda checkpost to goa checkpost is not in good condition, i was not expecting anything great about this direct route to banda.
I stopped at the junction near danoli looking for someone to inquire about road condition, suddenly , Goa registered car zipped toward banda by that small road. No guess, i followed that car.
To my surprise, though the road is narrow, too much ups and downs, the tarmac is good with occassional broken road, don't worry, road condition is faaaar better than sawantwadi-banda road. It took 25 min to cross this 15 km stretch and landed at banda touching NH17 just 1km before Goa checkpost.
This stretch passes through countryside, absolutely no facilities, do not travel on this section after sunset.
I reccomend this stretch to travel during daytime, you will save at least 15km extra travel, will save atleast 45min in time, will save from cops at banda checkpost.
I will post the pics of this stretch tomorrow.

7] banda-goa/patradevi checkpost: 1km, work is going on, bad condition.
Ap Bhau thanks for the updates, as i am travelling from MUmbai to Goa in 3rd week it will be very useful.

I am unable to find the above road in Gooogle Maps or am i missing something here.

: If you can provide the stay details along with cost it will be very much helpful to me.Thanks.
scrooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:31   #559
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I regretted n times that i took this route instead of banda-danoli direct route.
If possible, while coming from goa, take banda-danoli direct route, you will save lot of trouble, time, kms and cops.
Ashish
What if a vehicle comes from opp direction. Previous posts indicat the road is so narrow that one has to reverse.
Is that right?
on this route banda danoli is insuli check post bypassed then
? I tam sure it will be. is there any other check post on thise route.
It's a good idea. I had mentioned it once but I think Irwin got stuck on this.
So hope you enjoyed your stay in Goa
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
I am unable to find the above road in Gooogle Maps or am i missing something here.
It's a left turn as soon as the ghat section ends and you cross the vilage danoli. There used to be a board here shoing the distance to Panjim etc.. but they took it off soem time ago. Beware it's supposed to be very narrow.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-danoli.jpg

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 7th November 2011 at 12:42.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 13:52   #560
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ashish
1]What if a vehicle comes from opp direction. Previous posts indicat the road is so narrow that one has to reverse.
Is that right?
2]on this route banda danoli is insuli check post bypassed then
? I tam sure it will be. is there any other check post on thise route.


It's a left turn as soon as the ghat section ends and you cross the vilage danoli. There used to be a board here shoing the distance to Panjim etc..
3] but they took it off soem time ago. Beware it's supposed to be very narrow.
Attachment 838305
1] The road is narrow but not that narrow to reverse back. Just enough for two cars to pass by.
While travelling on this route, at one time, you may feel like why i landed on this deserted road? but don't worry, subr ka fal mitha hota hai.
2] There is no checkpost on danoli-banda route, i have not noticed any.
The road touches to NH17 1km before Goa checkpost, maharashtra checkpost is bypassed.
I observed that this stretch is extensively used by goa registered vehicles rather than mh vahicles.
3] There is the board mentioning all the distances and direction at that junction, i took pic of the board, will post here tomorrow definitely.

I am not sure if the map posted in above post shows actual route, very few maps show the actual route of banda-danoli stretch.
I am not sure if google maps or mapsofindia shows it or not.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th November 2011 at 14:08.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 14:48   #561
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1] I am not sure if the map posted in above post shows actual route, very few maps show the actual route of banda-danoli stretch.
I am not sure if google maps or mapsofindia shows it or not.

Ashish not sure about the map cos actually after the last discussion not much interest in thise until you went last week
but here are two old post about this route.
I got the name wrong earlier. It wasn't Irwin it was Darryl

Also something interesting here so maybe it is the same route after all and in a year will be much better
http://2.imimg.com/data2/GH/FM/HTT-3...1316169711.pdf
(The Executive Engineer of Government of Maharashtra, Sawantwadi, Maharashtra invites tenders notice for provision of improvement and B. T. To Danoli Satuli Wilvade Banda road (MDR-34) km. 6/300 to 8/300. Tal. Sawantwadi.)

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ok I left this morning at 7 and reached home at 7 pm. I noticed something from amboli to sawantwadi after the amboli ghat ends there is a town called Danoli, and just after this is a left turn towards Banda and Panjim as the sign board says 15.6 km and 62 kms to each respective place. I think taking this turn would mean avoiding sawantwadi. Has anyone tried this?
Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke View Post
I did, on the 11th of July, and regretted not sticking to the main road. The first 2-3 km of the road are deceptively ok, but after that there is a very narrow stretch where even two small cars would pass with difficulty, and several badly broken patches, one of which was on a short but fairly steep upslope and slick with rain. The front wheels of my Esteem started to spin and I consider myself lucky to have made it to the top. There are also 2 or 3 causeways, with the water inches below the road when I passed through -- I'd guess that the road is impassable for low-slung vehicles later in the monsoon, or at least after heavy showers.

I'm not sure how much distance the 'shortcut' saved me, but I'm confident the longer route would have been faster.

Incidentally, I signed up to this forum mainly in order to post this warning. I'd been reading the posts here about the Amboli-Goa route, and none mentioned this side road, which is unfortunately well signposted.

db

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 7th November 2011 at 15:00.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 14:56   #562
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ashish not sure about the map cos actually after the last discussion not much interest in thise until you went last week
but here are twp old post about this route.
I got the name wrong earlier. It wasn't Irwin it was Darryl
regards
Darry's post is two year old, the road may be repaired after that.
Two months before, someone tried this section and posted it in his travelogue.
I was aware about this road but never tried it before.
This time, i tried it purposely.
This time, i clicked some pics about this road and its condition, will post it tomorrow.
I again recommend this route for early approach to Goa.

While going to goa, we stopped at kamat at amboli for lunch.
While parking my car, one group was leaving for sawantwadi after lunch in black alto.
After finishing my lunch, i traveled to banda.
As i touched NH17 via danoli-banda route, same black alto was approaching there from sawantwadi.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th November 2011 at 15:13.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:54   #563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new mumbai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Darry's post is two year old, the road may be repaired after that.
Two months before, someone tried this section and posted it in his travelogue.
I was aware about this road but never tried it before.
This time, i tried it purposely.
This time, i clicked some pics about this road and its condition, will post it tomorrow.
I again recommend this route for early approach to Goa.

While going to goa, we stopped at kamat at amboli for lunch.
While parking my car, one group was leaving for sawantwadi after lunch in black alto.
After finishing my lunch, i traveled to banda.
As i touched NH17 via danoli-banda route, same black alto was approaching there from sawantwadi.

Yup Pictures will make a lot of things clear for everyone.

But after reading the update about the route will take the same during my Goa visit.

Also one thing i forgot to ask, if possible can you get the tentative time taken for all different streaches.

Last edited by scrooze : 7th November 2011 at 16:56.
scrooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 17:22   #564
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
can you get the tentative time taken for all different streaches.
satara-sankeshwar/ @180 KM/ 2.5hr max at 90km/hr cruise.
sankeshwar-amboli/ @70km/ 2hr max at cautious driving.
amboli-danoli/ @10km/ 20 min at cautious slow driving.
danoli-banda/ @15km/ 30 min max at very cautious slow driving.
banda-calangut/ @50km/ 1hr max at 60-80 speed.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th November 2011 at 17:23.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 19:11   #565
BHPian
 
Figopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 351
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Pune-Goa road condition update:

1] satara-karad-kolhapur-kagal: NH4- 4 lane-good condition.

2] kagal-nipani-sankeshwar: NH4-4 lane-best in condition[ gaddi bhagao jitna bhaga sakate ho].

3] sankeshwar-gadhinglaj: 15 km border road, 10 km in average condition, remaining 5km before gadhinglaj broken tarmac.

4] gadhinglaj-ajara: 22 km average road with occasional potholes but road repairing is in full swing.

5] aajra-amboli: 33 km mixed road, good roads till 10 km after aajra, then broken tarmac for next 10 km, then good road for next 5 km, then occasional broken tarmac till amboli.

6] amboli-ghat-danoli: 9 km ghat section is in best condition except 100 mtr stretch where landslide occurred this season.

7] danoli-banda: 15 km, surprise, surprise. As i quoted in last post that i will try this route, i did.
Thanks for this update, it is really helpful! I am going to try that while coming back from Goa this Christmas holidays for sure.

Just a note about the road condition from Pune to Kolhapur. Do you really think it is "good"? I mean it depends upon with what you compare with but as of now, I would NOT say its in good conditions given the fact that you pay Rs. 224/- just as toll.
I travel to Kolhapur every month on this road for the past 6 years and I can confirm the road condition is deteriorating and that too pretty fast! Are we not paying the road so that they recover the cost of road AND the maintenance of the road? The chaos on the tool plaza is something that we better not talk about!
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 09:31   #566
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
the road condition from Pune to Kolhapur. Do you really think it is "good"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1] satara-karad-kolhapur-kagal: NH4- 4 lane-good condition.
2] kagal-nipani-sankeshwar: NH4-4 lane-best in condition[ gaddi bhagao jitna bhaga sakate ho].

When i quote kagal-sankeshwar road condition as ''best'', i have to quote satara-kagal road condition as at-least at ''good''.

After satara, there is small ghat named chandrgiri or something like that, the road condition of this section is worst on this 4 lane road.
Karad and kini toll plaza are pain with rs 58 salt.
Right side lane with slow moving truck traffic between kolhapur and pune will increase your temper.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 10:10   #567
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I again recommend this route for early approach to Goa.As i touched NH17 via danoli-banda route, same black alto was approaching there from sawantwadi.
Ashish
Im not disputing anything. I just mentioned darryls name cos I erred in say Irwin earlier.
anyway I think you missed this in my previous msg cos I edited it afetr you posted.

(Also something interesting here so maybe it is the same route after all and in a year will be much better
http://2.imimg.com/data2/GH/FM/HTT-3...1316169711.pdf
(The Executive Engineer of Government of Maharashtra, Sawantwadi, Maharashtra invites tenders notice for provision of improvement and B. T. To Danoli Satuli Wilvade Banda road (MDR-34) km. 6/300 to 8/300. Tal. Sawantwadi.)

After reading I feel maybe the route is the one in the image I posted.
but you would know since you ve travelled the road.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 10:46   #568
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
After reading I feel maybe the route is the one in the image I posted.

yes, thats correct route.

Here are the pics of danoli-banda route.[ sorry for poor pic quality]

Fork at 1km after danoli, left goes to banda at 15.6 km, right goes to sawantwadi at 13km.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-picture-002.jpg

Initial smooth road upto 6km.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-picture-003.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-picture-004.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-picture-005.jpg

Broken tarmac at some places, no potholes.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-picture-006.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-picture-007.jpg

Rough surface for couple of km, no potholes,
as deutcheafrikar posted it, pwd may have opened tender for resurfacing the same section.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-picture-009.jpg

Rest of the road condition resembles the road condition in the pics here.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 8th November 2011 at 10:54.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 11:00   #569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new mumbai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Road seems to be ok. More like Mumbai roads in monsoon. Should be given a try.
scrooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 12:01   #570
BHPian
 
Figopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 351
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
When i quote kagal-sankeshwar road condition as ''best'', i have to quote satara-kagal road condition as at-least at ''good''.

After satara, there is small ghat named chandrgiri or something like that, the road condition of this section is worst on this 4 lane road.
Karad and kini toll plaza are pain with rs 58 salt.
Right side lane with slow moving truck traffic between kolhapur and pune will increase your temper.
Okay!!
The Kolhapur till Belgaum road is actually in top condition as you mentioned, it is well maintained. Apart from a few patches where the road is bad till Kolhapur, I observe there are too many pothols, big gap between concrete slabs where they are separated, etc.

The Amboli-Danoli-banda road looks good, it is worth trying that road for sure.
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satara-Kolhapur-Goa: Route/POI/Stay details amk_2009 Route / Travel Queries 1 24th November 2012 21:28
Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai udaydesai Travelogues 9 5th May 2011 12:08
Mumbai - Goa - Kolhapur - Mumbai Query JLSeagull Route / Travel Queries 6 18th November 2010 12:27
Thane - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa - Thane vij4all Travelogues 17 30th August 2010 18:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks