Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 14:25   #1186
BHPian
 
maverickxx2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 183
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Did Pune-Belgaum-Goa yesterday via the Chorla Route. As mentioned in one of the posts on this thread, the section from Belgaum to Chorla is absolutely amazing to drive on. Once you enter Goa, the road is bad for about 10-12 kms and average for the next 10-12 kms. After that its good again. Saw signs of repair work in the bad sections and the guy at the Goa entry tax booth told me it should be done up within the next month or two. Will definitely use the same route for getting back to Pune. Total distance Belgaum to Panaji via Chorla is 115 kms.
Good to see the latest updates. I'm travelling to Goa-Varca beach this Saturday and I plan to take the Belgaum - Chorla route.

When you say the road is "bad" for 10-12 kms..will it be safe to go over this road for vehicles with less ground clearance (read - Punto)?
maverickxx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:35   #1187
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,169
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Good to see the latest updates. I'm travelling to Goa-Varca beach this Saturday and I plan to take the Belgaum - Chorla route.

When you say the road is "bad" for 10-12 kms..will it be safe to go over this road for vehicles with less ground clearance (read - Punto)?
Yes, absolutely! Just need to be careful at 4-5 places where the pot holes are slightly larger and getting in-out of them would be tricky if you are not careful. But slow speeds (around 30-40kmph) should be good without any issues! If you are a patient driver, nothing to worry
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 16:25   #1188
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 149
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Good to see the latest updates. I'm travelling to Goa-Varca beach this Saturday and I plan to take the Belgaum - Chorla route.

When you say the road is "bad" for 10-12 kms..will it be safe to go over this road for vehicles with less ground clearance (read - Punto)?
I dont think you should have any issues - I drove in a Wagon R and had to keep the speeds down but no issue of scraping the bottom etc. Definitely better than the Amboli or NH4A options.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 22:07   #1189
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,169
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default

Quick note - yesterday/ today there was a rasta roko somewhere between kolhapur and belgaum (I think bagewadi). It didn't last long as law enforcement authorities intervened. I guess, It's going to continue until the sugar cane pricing issue is resolved. Nothing much to worry as of now but one must budget few additional hours for contingencies if delay occurs. Anyone knows more about this incidence here on the forum? Attaching a snap from local newspaper. Sorry it's in Marathi.

Name:  image3466809687.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  581.6 KB

Last edited by abirnale : 6th November 2013 at 22:10.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 09:38   #1190
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 653
Thanked: 176 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Did Pune-Belgaum-Goa yesterday via the Chorla Route. As mentioned in one of the posts on this thread, the section from Belgaum to Chorla is absolutely amazing to drive on. Once you enter Goa, the road is bad for about 10-12 kms and average for the next 10-12 kms. After that its good again. Saw signs of repair work in the bad sections and the guy at the Goa entry tax booth told me it should be done up within the next month or two. Will definitely use the same route for getting back to Pune. Total distance Belgaum to Panaji via Chorla is 115 kms.
Thanks Sunil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Good to see the latest updates. I'm travelling to Goa-Varca beach this Saturday and I plan to take the Belgaum - Chorla route.

When you say the road is "bad" for 10-12 kms..will it be safe to go over this road for vehicles with less ground clearance (read - Punto)?
I am travelling over the weekend too from Pune to South Goa (Varca) as well. Hope to see your ride on the way. I will be driving the Xylo so not too worried about the bad stretches...
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 09:53   #1191
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

On my recent trip to Goa last week, I used both routes. My analysis is as follows:

Mumbai-Pune - No complaints
Pune-Satara - very expensive road to drive. road quality is very strictly ok
Satara-Kolhapur-Nipani- Butter smooth roads
Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi: Nipani to Ajra via Uttur is ok, drivable at 40-50kmph. Ajra to Amboli is a nightmare of a road. Can never drive above 20-30kmph. Top of Amboli ghat descending to sawantwadi is ok as well. Not too much to complain about. NH 17 is butter smooth

On the return, we decided to take the Chorla Ghat -Belgaum route. The route till Sanquelim is fine. The 15 km stretch from there till the top of the ghat at Chorla (Goa roads) are in ok condition. There are repairs underway however. The karnataka side of the roads are pure heaven. Probably the best hill road i have ever driven. NH4 from belgaum till Kolhapur is awesome. The rest is the same as my onward journey.

I would very strongly recommend everyone to skip the Amboli route and take the Chorla Route
vikramv1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 09:58   #1192
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post
Probably the best hill road i have ever driven. NH4 from belgaum till Kolhapur is awesome. The rest is the same as my onward journey.
+1. At the risk of sounding repetitive, the whole of 4-lane from Belgaum throught to Kolhapur via Sankeshwar/Nippani gives you one best driving pleasure. Awesome road and equally awesome views. Last I drove with family. Hence did not stop much on this stretch. Else the greenery on this stretch and the bridge of Ghatprabha river, gives amazing snapping opportunities!

Last edited by ampere : 12th November 2013 at 10:00.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 11:17   #1193
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post
I would very strongly recommend everyone to skip the Amboli route and take the Chorla Route
I am planning to do Belgaum - Goa trip next month. How safe is the Belgaum -Chorla route for a couple travelling with a baby on board?
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 11:45   #1194
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,169
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am planning to do Belgaum - Goa trip next month. How safe is the Belgaum -Chorla route for a couple travelling with a baby on board?
Absolutely safe - but because we know this was not the case earlier, I would still suggest day-time travel in this area. Say morning 6am onwards unto 6pm or before your headlights come out. You can actually take some stops en-route and enjoy the scenes as well during day time!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 11:58   #1195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

I am planning to do Belgaum - Goa trip next month. How safe is the Belgaum -Chorla route for a couple travelling with a baby on board?
Very easily doable. I also did the stretch with baby on board. Roads are awesome. You will be in goa within three hours . Lovely ride
vikramv1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 10:10   #1196
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 653
Thanked: 176 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post

On the return, we decided to take the Chorla Ghat -Belgaum route. The route till Sanquelim is fine. The 15 km stretch from there till the top of the ghat at Chorla (Goa roads) are in ok condition. There are repairs underway however. The karnataka side of the roads are pure heaven. Probably the best hill road i have ever driven. NH4 from belgaum till Kolhapur is awesome. The rest is the same as my onward journey.

I would very strongly recommend everyone to skip the Amboli route and take the Chorla Route
+1 to this. this is the best route to get to South Goa. I especially liked the ghat stretch with nicely paved road and markings.

Additionally, with mining operations stopped, traffic is quite sparse.

My route to Goa was via Belgaum -> Khanapur -> (via connector avoiding Ramnagar) -> Molem which is quite bad condition and should be avoided. I was in the Xylo so it was not a problem, but smaller cars will have a bad time.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 14:52   #1197
BHPian
 
maverickxx2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 183
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am planning to do Belgaum - Goa trip next month. How safe is the Belgaum -Chorla route for a couple travelling with a baby on board?
Absolutely no problem. The roads are amazing. Just make sure that you packup food items in Belgaum.

I just returned to Pune y'day from Goa trip. Took the Belgaum>Jamboti>Kankumbi>Chorla>Sanquelim>Ponda>Ma rgao route. Amazing drive.
It took me 4 hours to reach from Belgaum to Varca beach.

Just 10-12 kms are bad.

I also had my baby daughter on-board. We had packed our lunch and then halted in chorla ghat for lunch. It was awesome experience.

Last edited by maverickxx2006 : 14th November 2013 at 14:53.
maverickxx2006 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 15:19   #1198
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Absolutely no problem. The roads are amazing. Just make sure that you packup food items in Belgaum.

I just returned to Pune y'day from Goa trip. Took the Belgaum>Jamboti>Kankumbi>Chorla>Sanquelim>Ponda>Ma rgao route. Amazing drive.
It took me 4 hours to reach from Belgaum to Varca beach.

Just 10-12 kms are bad.

I also had my baby daughter on-board. We had packed our lunch and then halted in chorla ghat for lunch. It was awesome experience.
That's good to know. I had travelled from Belgaum to Bichloim few years back by Kadamba bus via Chorla ghat. Chorla route was the shortest route, but the road conditions were just horrible. It was like offroading in a bus. Even KSRTC did not run any buses through that route at the time. At the time even Anmod route was bad and cars used to go via Amboli and Sawantwadi. Very few chose the CHorla route. As result roads used to be very desolate. Nowadays I hear its the best route to Goa from Belgaum
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 15:03   #1199
BHPian
 
Dieseltuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 361
Thanked: 274 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just back from a trip to Kolhapur from Bombay. Below are my notings from Saturday (16/11/2013)::

1. Bombay - Pune :: Express highway :: Absolute pleasure. Traffic on the ghats is a bit worrisome. Truckers do not maintain the left lane forcing the other cars/buses to switch lanes.

2. Pune - Satara :: NH4 condition has detiorated to say the least. Too many patch works and potholes every few hundred meters. There are too many diversions with minimal signages. Night driving may be a hazard here.

3. Satara - Kolhapur :: Smooth roads especially around Karad to Kolhapur.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 21:00   #1200
BHPian
 
udiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Morjim, North Goa on the night of 22nd November. Kindly suggest which road should I take? I plan to stay on NH4 till dawn, so will leave Mumbai by midnight. Looking at the recent replies on this thread, it is amply clear that most of the fellow bhpians are suggesting to take the route via Chorla, but I guess this route is a clear choice if one is going to South Goa (I might be completely wrong here and need to be educated).

On google maps, the place (marabelo beach resorts, morjim) is 40 kms from sawantwadi. My question then is should I still go till Belgaum and enter via Chorla or is crossing Amboli Ghat not such a problem after all?
udiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satara-Kolhapur-Goa: Route/POI/Stay details amk_2009 Route / Travel Queries 1 24th November 2012 21:28
Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai udaydesai Travelogues 9 5th May 2011 12:08
Mumbai - Goa - Kolhapur - Mumbai Query JLSeagull Route / Travel Queries 6 18th November 2010 12:27
Thane - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa - Thane vij4all Travelogues 17 30th August 2010 18:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks