Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th February 2009, 14:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Enterprise is best on weekends. They charge 50% of regular rent on weekends
There is not such thing as regular rent in US.
It all depends on demand/supply and how much in advance you book, and are you willing to prepay.
Let me give you an example,
I wanted to book a car for 2 days(Friday noon to sunday noon).
So I checked internet websites, and the cheapest deal I was getting was 23$ inclusive of taxes.
Since my trip was planned, and I was definitely getting the car, I decided to go prepay route.
I went to priceline.com and they asked me how much I was willing to pay. I said 5$
And voila, I got a quite for 17$/day inclusive of all taxes and fees etc.,

If you go to dollar.com etc., and try a car for a weekend 2 days before weekend you will prices of 30$ etc., + taxes etc.,
However if you try 2 weeks in advance its like 10$ + taxes and fees.

So it all depends on when you book, are you willing to prepay etc., etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 02:09   #17
Team-BHP Support

From my experience, getting a car cheap is not really an issue, I have reserved cars for 11-12$/day. The problem is that on weekends only airport locations are open, so total cost comes to around 26$ include of taxes (10$ is flat airport fee + there is tax).
Then since I am travelling in us and do not have insurance, I need to purchase 12.99$ liability insurance and 9.99$ LDW.
So the total cost inclusive of all taxes comes to around 48$/day out of which the cost of the car is 10$!
Old 6th December 2010, 06:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

i usually book from Avis since the location in Sacramento is open on Sundays too. So even during weekend i can rent for a day if need arises. I always go through Costco membership, that saves me a cool 30% on the fare. So a standard size car costs me around $25/day on weekends and $20 on weekdays. Depending on how early i book. Sometimes i have paid $35-$40 when booking a couple of days before.

I include insurance and GPS most of the time and everything comes out to around $50-$55 per day for a standard size car. Enterprise is way expensive as it goes above $75 with all these.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 08:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

The weekend deals in enterprise is amazing. For a compact or economy it comes to 178 for 3 days. Fri noon - Mon noon.

It does get expensive if you go for a upgrade.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 14:02   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Rent a car in the US

I am traveling to Baltimore, MD for a month and a half. Which is the best agency to rent a car? Best balance between cheap and reliable. I have always rented a car from Hertz (company paid), but this time I'm on my own, so need to find cheaper alternatives. Most likely, I'll be renting car only for weekends.

TIA.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:07   #21
BHPian

I always found enterprice to be the cheapest. Even their LDW rates were less than Hertz and Avis.

However, when i was below 25 yrs, i always used to rent from National Car rentals as they had just 15$ a day surcharge for under-age drivers.

Also, the non-airport locations charge lesser than airport locations as they include an airport surcharge.

I have also found that booking over the internet works out a little cheaper. I have at times got economy cars for 10$ a day on the net, while the same one was quoted at 15 to 20$ at the brick and mortar location.
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 16:06   #22
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I am traveling to Baltimore, MD for a month and a half. Which is the best agency to rent a car? Best balance between cheap and reliable. I have always rented a car from Hertz (company paid), but this time I'm on my own, so need to find cheaper alternatives. Most likely, I'll be renting car only for weekends.

TIA.
As mentioned by many above, Enterprise is by far the best experience that any rental company can provide for the money they charge. Avis/Hertz are good only for in-city rentals and that too on some corporate tie up. For long drives, Enterprise works much cheaper and the quality of their cars remains top notch. I recently hired cars from both Enterprise as well as Hertz and could not find any difference in the quality of their respective cars. Drove almost a 1000 miles on rental cars in California (in LA, LA-Vegas-Yosemite-Frisco). Best thing about Enterprise on the east coast - you can pick up the car in one location and drop it off in another. Don't need to get it back in case you are flying out from another location. Had a real dampener with Enterprise with regards to dropping the car off at a different location since my trip was mainly on the west coast where Enterprise doesn't have this facility.

Last edited by buz : 19th January 2011 at 16:07. Reason: Missed info
buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 17:09   #23
BHPian

Looks like Enterprise it is for me. I couldn't find any weekend promotion offers discussed above on their site. If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.
Old 19th January 2011, 18:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

It does not matter who you rent your car from. Just pick one with the lowest rates.
If your company pays for the car, and says get a car for XYZ $ then get a car from the renter which gives you the best car for that money.
For price shopping go to
Car Rentals from CarRentals.com.
I have found nice intermediate cars for 89$ for 2 days (Elantra). This 89$ breakup was like this
Car cost 20$
Taxes : 20$
Insurance and LDW : 49$

All values approx of course.

But then its all luck, one weekend I got a car for 60$ lowest price for one day.
So do shop a few days in advance and book your car online, and take the printout to whatever rental agency you choose.

Some areas charge 10-20$ extra as "Airport Transportation Fee". Its a govt tax which cannot be avoided. So if you are renting for just one day, it increases your rental by a hefty percentage.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th January 2011 at 18:09.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:24   #25
BHPian

I would like to suggest a tip here, when you rent a car in US.

When I rented a car (Mazda 6) in US from Hertz, i managed to get it with GPS device at no additional cost. Most of the car rental companys charge few extra dollars for providing GPS in their cars, but if you can manage to negotiate with them, you can get it for free. Sometimes, if they don't have compact car, they can provide you intermediate cars at compact car rates. Ensure you book the car just couple of days in advance, not too early, not too late !

I found GPS is indeed very much needed and handy in US, not to get lost anywhere. (We have no choice to stop anywhere and/or ask someone walking on the road ) . Thats where we in India get good human GPS support

Give your try, and who knows, you may be lucky to get atleast one of two freebies !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 22:34   #26
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Looks like Enterprise it is for me. I couldn't find any weekend promotion offers discussed above on their site. If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.
Before you rent, search online for discount codes. There's a chance you'll get a great deal - there's a chance you may not.

Recently, someone I know found a one-way deal from Hertz for their premium cars (he got a Volvo S60). Baltimore to New York - $50 inclusive of all taxes. But that's just a one-off deal.

Try Dollar - their rates are usually cheaper than the rest but they'll try & make money off of you in other ways (EZ-Pass rental, GPS rental, LDW, etc.)

I'm usually around Baltimore during the week, so feel free to ping me.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 22:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I would like to suggest a tip here, when you rent a car in US.
Thanks for the tip. Actually I have never driven a car without GPS in US. Always it has been a company rented car, so never had to think about budget before .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I'm usually around Baltimore during the week, so feel free to ping me.
I'll take a look at dollor too. Thanks for the offer, will surely ping you if I need some advice.
Old 20th January 2011, 01:24   #28
BHPian

Well, I always go to fox rent a car. all you need is an English language license and a valid passport (I-94).

5 days rent is 52$ + 20 (per day for road side assistance and insurance) (not on festival / blacked out dates).

I usually book a compact car and most of the time it is not available, and I get a free upgrade to standard or an intermediate size car. Also I pickup from burbank and leave it at San deigo.

There are always deals that you can look for (slckdeals.net) and enter the code on the fox rental website. Cars are all good and has very less miles.

my 1 rupee.
kolimuttai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 05:12   #29
BHPian

There is no one person who gives good deal, Most of the agencies give a good deal here. Its just you need to plan a bit in advance and look around the sites.
Usually the smaller ones like Advantage, dollar, alamo give good prices.

When you book for compact, most of the times its not available and you are sure to get a free upgrade

PM me once you are here, I can help you with some promo codes from Costco

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 20th January 2011 at 05:15.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 05:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolimuttai View Post
Well, I always go to fox rent a car.
Yeah, Fox does have good deals compared to the others but unfortunately it isn't present on the East Coast.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote