Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 08:27   #31
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
When you book for compact, most of the times its not available and you are sure to get a free upgrade
Sounds very good .

Quote:
PM me once you are here, I can help you with some promo codes from Costco
Sure. Thanks a lot.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 09:50   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,892
Thanked: 9,729 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Another trick is to book a compact car. Arrive two hours later than planned. Your reserved car will be given to someone else. Since your reservation is guaranteed, they need to give you another car.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 21:09   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 942
Thanked: 721 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Another trick is to book a compact car. Arrive two hours later than planned. Your reserved car will be given to someone else. Since your reservation is guaranteed, they need to give you another car.
+1 Exactly, that will work most of the time

Last edited by ravib : 20th January 2011 at 21:11.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 00:03   #34
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Another trick is to book a compact car. Arrive two hours later than planned. Your reserved car will be given to someone else. Since your reservation is guaranteed, they need to give you another car.
Aren't there any penalties for such things?
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 00:06   #35
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,381 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Aren't there any penalties for such things?
Nope. you paid for your car already and they have to give you one even if your 2 hours late.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 00:11   #36
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Nope. you paid for your car already and they have to give you one even if your 2 hours late.
This sounds like a very good plan .
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 00:13   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Problem is, most people don't prefer compacts. So in that case if it is still available after 2 hours, you will have to take that.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 01:00   #38
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Well, my trip is about to end I used Enterprise 4 times during my trip. I have only good things to say about Enterprise.
  • Cheapest of all - They have a weekend special rate of 9.99 USD /day for 100 miles. I used to rent the car for 3 days so I get 300 miles.
  • Compact cars are OK in condition, higher end cars are good. I once got a Dodge Caliber which was just mind blowing.
  • Service - full marks here to Enterprise. Very friendly staff, explained everything in detail. They have FREE pick-up and drop service. Great for me as I don't have to take taxi and spend 20 USD to reach the rental place.
  • Free upgrade on first rental. I took the free enterprise membership and I get a free upgrade for my first rental. I will be taking the free upgrade this weekend.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 01:18   #39
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 943
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Well, my trip is about to end I used Enterprise 4 times during my trip. I have only good things to say about Enterprise.
  • Cheapest of all - They have a weekend special rate of 9.99 USD /day for 100 miles. I used to rent the car for 3 days so I get 300 miles.
  • Compact cars are OK in condition, higher end cars are good. I once got a Dodge Caliber which was just mind blowing.
  • Service - full marks here to Enterprise. Very friendly staff, explained everything in detail. They have FREE pick-up and drop service. Great for me as I don't have to take taxi and spend 20 USD to reach the rental place.
  • Free upgrade on first rental. I took the free enterprise membership and I get a free upgrade for my first rental. I will be taking the free upgrade this weekend.
Free pick up is a very good thing, but it keeps us waiting sometimes during busy hours.
Didn't know bout the membership(may be cuz i dont rent much from enterprise ), interesting
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 01:28   #40
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Free pick up is a very good thing, but it keeps us waiting sometimes during busy hours.
Didn't know bout the membership(may be cuz i dont rent much from enterprise ), interesting
They never made me wait. Always on time. In fact on one of the Fridays they were very busy to arrange a pick-up. So they called me and asked me to take a taxi and reimbursed the taxi fare against my rental amount.

The membership is free, so no harm in registering. I think they are more prominent in east coast cities, and hence better service etc.

The Dodge caliber I got (instead of economy car), had only 35 miles on it.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 01:56   #41
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 943
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
They never made me wait. Always on time. In fact on one of the Fridays they were very busy to arrange a pick-up. So they called me and asked me to take a taxi and reimbursed the taxi fare against my rental amount.

The membership is free, so no harm in registering. I think they are more prominent in east coast cities, and hence better service etc.

The Dodge caliber I got (instead of economy car), had only 35 miles on it.
Possibly, I have had couple of bad experience with the pick up. Nice to know good things bout it
Yes they pretty much have new cars, and feels good to drive one with the fresh car smell too
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 11:20   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,892
Thanked: 9,729 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Last time around in Orlando - Hertz tried conning me - they quoted me for an indicated price of $300 for a Nissan Altima. I checked before setting off to find it had been jacked up to $600+. So much for being a gold club member

Used Honk car rental Honk Car Rental . It basically acts as a broker and buys discounted hire car capacity. You are given a list of cars and rates and choose accordingly. I ended up paying $230 for a Ford fusion from Alamo. Correction - you are committed to a compact car. you go and process your booking and walk to the lot. There is a fleet of cars parked accordingly to size. Choose which ever and there you are
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 22:34   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochin, B'lore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Guys, I'm going to be in the US for a month. Was confident of renting a car here till some friends and family members advised me against it. They said it was better to take public transport and/or rely on friends rather than self driving. I have the following queries, would be of great help if BHPians with experience of renting cars can help me out :

1. How different/difficult is it to drive in America? I've never driven outside India till now.
2. Would Team BHPians recommend it?
PS: I have my IDP along with my original DL.
3. Any tips/advise on driving in the US based on your experiences would also be of immense help.
Also, I do not plan on going on very long drives. Max- 2-3 hours from the place of stay. The car will be used only along the East coast FYI.

Thanks in advance.

Mods: Couldn't find a more appropriate thread for this query. Please move the post if this ain't the right place.
275BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 22:41   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Guys, I'm going to be in the US for a month. Was confident of renting a car here till some friends and family members advised me against it. They said it was better to take public transport and/or rely on friends rather than self driving. I have the following queries, would be of great help if BHPians with experience of renting cars can help me out :

1. How different/difficult is it to drive in America? I've never driven outside India till now.
2. Would Team BHPians recommend it?
PS: I have my IDP along with my original DL.
3. Any tips/advise on driving in the US based on your experiences would also be of immense help.
Driving in US is entirely different from driving in India. And that is why you must drive in US

Most Indians who drive in India find it quite easy to drive here. You just have to remember what side of the road to drive on and be generally more aware of the rules of the road and be more courteous.

Where on the east coast are you going to be? I suggest go to that state's DMV and go through their driving handbook. Most states have it online on their DMV website.

And do go on long drives too. This is a car crazy country and you'll be crazy to not drive a car here

Oh but if you are going to stay in a big city where parking is an issue, then yes, use public transport as often as possible but do rent a car for weekend trips.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 22:51   #45
BHPian
 
NinadJoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maratha Country
Posts: 289
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Rent a car in the US

Depending on where you are going to put up, you may or may not be required to drive by yourself.
Driving in the US is quite unlike doing so in India, (in a bunch of good ways), but I would still recommend doing some passive driving for a day or two from the passenger seat if possible to get the hang of the game. People who have driven extensively in India but never in the US do, in my opinion, need a bit of re-calibration to drive in the US.

Lot of driving tips available on the DMV's web sites, as Amit already suggested.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rent an Audi R8 V10 for Rs. 5,000 / hour from ECO Rent a Car (Delhi) Tushar Super-Cars & Imports in India 28 23rd October 2017 01:06
Rent a car at Langkawi? kousik Route / Travel Queries 11 13th May 2012 15:20
Need car for rent in Kolkata vishalpipraiya Shifting gears 0 5th January 2008 04:59
Car for Hire/Rent in Mumbai VTEC11 Shifting gears 1 11th December 2006 19:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks