Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th February 2016, 08:34   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Mumbai to Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
Day 2 at Mysore-- couple of nights
Day 3 at Coorg- Couple of nights and then onwards to my hometown Palakkad in Kerala,
Along with inputs from Amp and KC, remember this:

Mumbai to Coorg : Route Queries-pandavapura.png

When you enter Pandavapura Town, you need to take the "Railway Overbridge" (Marked in boxes below) to cross the tracks.

Googlemaps is still not updated with the latest info about the permanent closure of the road that had a Railway Crossing before.

As you can notice on the left half of the image, Googlemaps assumes that the road is open and shows that route which is incorrect.

Instead, you must turn right at a point before nearing the erstwhile railway crossing, Turn left and hit a T Junction where the Railway Overbridge starts and take this road to get out of Pandavapura.

It happened to me only 3 days back when I drove to Mysore and I reached the Railway crossing that had now a permanent compound constructed indicating a closure. I then drove on the service road parallel to the Railway Overbridge, performed a Right handed U-Turn and climbed the same bridge.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 15:43   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Googlemaps is still not updated with the latest info about the permanent closure of the road that had a Railway Crossing before.

As you can notice on the left half of the image, Googlemaps assumes that the road is open and shows that route which is incorrect.
Updated the maps. Attaching the new map. It will take few days before google gives the direction using new road.
Attached Images

Landkruzer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 12:23   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
Hello ALL

Planning to drive with family from Mumbai to Coorg via Mysore.

Plan:

Day 1 halt at Davanagere
Day 2 at Mysore-- couple of nights
Day 3 at Coorg- Couple of nights and then onwards to my hometown Palakkad in Kerala,

Google maps throws up 3 options for Davengere to Mysore viz 1)Via NH150 & NH4- Diversion from AH47 at Hiriyur.

2. Via NH4- Diversion from Tumkuru via Kudur, Kunighal etc

3. Via NH4 and NH275- Diversion from Dabaspete.

A)Which route would you recommend as my prime consideration is good roads with less chance of getting lost. I would like to avoid single lane roads.

B) Is my travel plan workable? I am reasonably confident of reaching Davanagere on the first day; but have no clue about the other legs of the journey.

C) Is May first week a good time to spend time in Mysore and Coorg?

D) I am planning to stick with Airbnb options for accommodation in Mysore and Coorg. Any good hotel in Davanagere for overnite?

E) I do not wish to drive after sun down.

Regards
Ashok

NB: I am driving in my 1.9TDi Octavia Elegance.

The experts have already told the route. Just my 2 cents since i did this route just yesterday (based on parag,amphere expert advice, thank you guys). Bangalore to Coorg (Madikeri town) fantastic route via Hunsur apart from couple of kms of patchy road but nothing to worry about. Just fyi, Nagarhole forest route is not very great (still doable) since patch work going.

Coorg is hot at the moment, i cut down one extra day and came back early (Blr feels better). But if you are inside during noon, morning and evenings are pleasant. Detailed travelogue coming up in a day or two
KD007 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 19:02   #94
BHPian

Since this thread has been barren for a year, could I please ask some recent pointers on the route from Mumbai to Coorg?

Planning to drive down from Navi Mumbai next week, and thinking of halting over for a night somewhere in between. As has been recommended on this thread, Hubli (now Hubbali) seems to be an obvious choice. However, if one does not want another 10 hour drive the following day, is there any place and hotel that can be evaluated further down the stretch?

Also, getting to Madikeri will be taking a right from Hiriyur. Does that still hold good, or is there a better and peaceful route to get there? Thanking all in anticipation of responses.
methecupid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 19:18   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Since this thread has been barren for a year, could I please ask some recent pointers on the route from Mumbai to Coorg?
The road remains same and no changes there unless you really want to hit Mysore as a tourist.

Navi Mumbai - MPE - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Haveri - Davanagere - Chitradurga - Hiriyur town - Nelligere - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore - Hunsur - Coorg

Quote:
However, if one does not want another 10 hour drive the following day, is there any place and hotel that can be evaluated further down the stretch?
The next closest and good choice will be at Davanagere - Sankama Boutique Hotel - Hardly 600 meters off the main highway from Davanagere Bypass if you take the Shamanur exit. Many have stayed and this one is definitely recommended. But remember that Hubli to Davanagere can be 2-2.5 hours affair. So Day 1 will get extended accordingly.

Quote:
Also, getting to Madikeri will be taking a right from Hiriyur. Does that still hold good, or is there a better and peaceful route to get there? Thanking all in anticipation of responses.
This one is indeed peaceful. The only other choice is to drive ahead to Sira and here since the town is on left, you taking right wont make you cross the town and will add another 5-8 kms extra and take similar times too.

But I would say, stick to Hiriyur as it is not a typical dense town to cross that will be painful anyway. Plus the fact that you will hit here sooner (Less than 1.5 hours) if you started from Davanagere early in the morning means lesser misc traffic to negotiate through the town too.

So on Day 2, Davanagere -Hiriyur - Nelligere - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore ORR - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri will consume around 7-8 hours.

Even Better: You can do Davanagere -Hiriyur - Nelligere - Hirisave - CR Patna - Holenarasipura - Arkalgud - Konanur - Kushalnagara - Madikeri

The advantage will with the above route: This will be reasonably faster due to extended 4 lane roads (Nelligere - CR Patna, 40+ kms) and after CR Patna you will have very little traffic and you don't even need to touch Mysore for this. And, less truck traffic on all these single lanes compared to the single lane between Nelligere and Srirangapatna (Sugarcane season and the factory located here).

Make sure that you remember that with both the suggested routes there are lack of facilities:

- Hiriyur to Nelligere (at Nelligere you can take a small detour to stop at Mayura)
- Nelligere to Srirangapatna

On the other route:
- CR Patna all the way to Kushalnagar (in this route also, you can stop at Mayura mentioned above without a need for a detour as it falls on your route)

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th January 2017 at 19:38.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 23:44   #96

I am planning a road trip later this month around some functions to be attended at Chennai. The first six legs have been frozen. Looking for suggestions on the leg at Serial 7, and for the last leg yet undecided.

1. Mumbai Belagavi (500 kms) night halt
2. Belagavi - Bengaluru (500 kms) two nights . First service of car at Ravindu
3. Bengaluru Chennai , three nights stay. Day trip to Mahabalipuram
4. Chennai Tirupati , one night stay. Day trip Tirumala darshan
5. Tirupati Pondicherry , two nights stay
6. Pondicherry Bengaluru , three night stay
7. Bengaluru Shravanabelagola Bylakuppe - Dubare Elephant Camp Madikeri (5 hrs , 278 kms) two nights at Madikeri . Day trips in the vicinity.
8. Madikeri - Mumbai

For the Madikeri Mumbai home run would like to use the coastal scenic route 66 as far as possible. Will avoid Goa for which a separate trip is planned later. The first thought is Madikeri - Mangaluru Bhatkal Murudeshwar - Jog Falls Gokarna Karwar Belagavi Mumbai ( 1214 kms, 23 hrs) Where is the first night halt suggested? The second night could be at Belagavi.

Just for perspective my wife and I have put some time aside for this trip to catchup with friends, visit temples, historical places, and take in sights and sounds of the rich grandeur of India. Your suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Vijai_MoCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:41   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijai_MoCa View Post
Mumbai – Belagavi (500 kms) night halt
Dehu Road to Belgaum should take you around 7hrs with breaks and day time traffic between Pune and Kolhapur

Quote:
Belagavi - Bengaluru (500 kms)
10hrs

Quote:
Bengaluru – Chennai , three nights stay. Day trip to Mahabalipuram
Go via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore. Better roads and facilities than the Kolar-Chittoor road.

Quote:
Chennai – Tirupati
You could consider doing Bangalore-Tirupati-Chennai-Pondy-Bangalore.This would make it a perfect circle without you having to retrace any paths.(unless you have people joining in from Chennai)

Quote:
7. Bengaluru – Shravanabelagola – Bylakuppe - Dubare Elephant Camp – Madikeri (5 hrs , 278 kms) two nights at Madikeri . Day trips in the vicinity.
BLR-Hirisave-Shravanabelagola-Holenarsipur-Arkalgud-Kushalnagar

Quote:
Madikeri - Mumbai
If you want to reach Mumbai quick,then opt for the NH4 route back. Madikeri-Pune should take you about 15-17 hours of driving time,add another 3-4 hours to your destination in Mumbai.You can do day 1 as Madikeri-Shimoga and day 2 as Shimoga-Mumbai.Jewel Rock at Shimoga is a good option,in addition to Royal Orchid and Clarks Inn which are also equally good.

Coastal-1
If you want to come via the coastal route,you can do Madikeri-Sulia-Puttur-Mangalore-Udupi(Udupi krishna temple)-Kundapur(Kollur Temple)-Bhatkal-Murudeshwar (temple)-Manki-Honnavar-Jogfalls(check if there is any water there now)-Siddapur-Kansur-Sirsi-Yellapur-NH4(Hubli)-Belgaum-Pune.You can opt to stay at Udupi,Kundapur,Murudeshwar,Honnavar.

Coastal-2(Mix of coast and forest routes)
Madikeri-Sulia-Puttur-Mangalore-Udupi(Udupi krishna temple)-Kundapur(Kollur Temple)-Bhatkal-Murudeshwar (temple)-Manki-Honnavar-Jogfalls(check if there is any water there now)-Siddapur-Kumta-Karwar-Anshi-Kumbarwada-Joida-Ganeshgudi-Londa-Khanapur-Belgaum-NH4(if you want to go via Dandeli,then from Joida-Dandeli-Haliyal-Dharwad).You can opt to stay at Karwar.

To get to Jog Falls from Madikeri,you can also take Madikeri-Somwarpet-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Kadur-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar-Coastal-1 or Coastal-2.You can opt to stay at Shimoga.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 13:42   #98
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai to Coorg : Route Queries

Hello Folks,

I have an upcoming road trip to Udupi next week, routes mentioned here are clear from an overall perspective but i do have a few queries, responses to which will be highly appreciated;

1. What is the drive time from Mumbai to Udupi as on date with current road conditions (asking since i will be travelling with a 1.5 yr old)
2. What is the exact diversion location from Dharward to Gokarna?
3. Budget hotels near beaches of Gokarna (places where someone has an experience with), in case i need to break my journey.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 14:05   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
1. What is the drive time from Mumbai to Udupi as on date with current road conditions (asking since i will be travelling with a 1.5 yr old)
Total Travel time can vary between 15-18 Hours irrespective of whether it's done in one shot or with day breaks.
Quote:
2. What is the exact diversion location from Dharward to Gokarna?
After you cross Belgaum, approximately 60 kms later you will reach a Toll booth which is Hubli - Dharward Bypass. You ask for Karwar Exit and Pay the toll accordingly. This will come around 26-27 Kms after toll.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 11:34   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Total Travel time can vary between 15-18 Hours irrespective of whether it's done in one shot or with day breaks.
After you cross Belgaum, approximately 60 kms later you will reach a Toll booth which is Hubli - Dharward Bypass. You ask for Karwar Exit and Pay the toll accordingly. This will come around 26-27 Kms after toll.
Thanks for the information Parag. Drive time was about 15.5 hours. After the bypass toll we took the diversion at Radha Residency towards Kalaghati and from there on to Gokarna via Yellapur.

Major road work in progress from Gokarna to Kundapur which slowed us down a lot (especially since we were on this stretch post 7 pm)

Last edited by macbeth : 11th May 2017 at 11:35. Reason: Diversion details updated
macbeth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote