Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd December 2011, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need to know shortest route from Pune to Trichur (Kerala)

AS ampere says, I would prefer the Bangalore route instead of teh coastal NH17 route, being superb roads and faster too.

I made out a drive plan for someone from Bombay to Calicut, you can refer it here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3JzcVZldjVZQmc

This person managed to do Bombay-Mysore on Day 1 and on Day 2 before noon he was in Calicut. Incidentally, he also had a 80+ year old in his car.

In case you are very particular on going the coastal route, then maybe you can target a night stay at Murudeshwar or even Mangalore. Not only roads, but traffic is also terrible in North KL.

If you are planning your drive close to X'mas time, then expect hotels to be full en route and traffic to be also very high on all roads approaching KL.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

I drove Thrissur-Mumbai a couple of months back and i took the coastal route just for the heck of it.Bad roads all the way from Kozhikode till Karwar!

Kannur-Kasargod-Mangalore there are sections with no road whatsoever.I doubt the conditions have changed in any way in the past one month.

If you are doing it via NH17,then you can easily stay at Kundapur for your Kollur Mookambika darshan the next day.Pune-Hubli would take you around 5-6hours.Hubli-Ankola is another 2-3hours.Ankola-Kundapur is another 4hours.Overall it would be a 13-14hour drive.

Next day after darshan,target to leave Kollur latest by 11am.12PM you should be in Kundapur.From there Mangalore is a good 3hours away.From Mangalore to Kozhikode would take you around 7hours.Overall approx 12-13hour drive.

As opposed to this the Bangalore route would take you 12hours to Bangalore.3hours to Mysore.1 hour to Bandipur.1hour to Gudalur.From there another 2-3hours to Kozhikode.Take the Gudalur-Nilambur route to kozhikode and not the Batheri route which is in shambles.Overall approx 18-20hours,which means a huge saving in terms of time via this route
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Take the Gudalur-Nilambur route to kozhikode and not the Batheri route which is in shambles.
I beg to differ here. The Thamarassery ghats are not as bad as it is being made out to. I traveled from Kozhikode to Kalpetta - the road is not great for sure, but it is not in shambles. And, anyways, one wouldn't be driving at 100kmph on the ghats, for the road condition to make any dent on your timings.

I am not sure of how the Kalpetta-Bathery-Gundlupet-Mysore section is. But a relative of mine did Koduvally-Bangalore in about 6 hours or so in an A-Star - so the road is not in shambles for sure.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks
I am not sure of how the Kalpetta-Bathery-Gundlupet-Mysore section is. But a relative of mine did Koduvally-Bangalore in about 6 hours or so in an A-Star - so the road is not in shambles for sure.
I did Kozhikode Kalpetta Bathery Gundlupet Mysore Bangalore couple of weeks ago.
I agree here, Thamarassery Ghat roads are good now. No worries there.

BUT, the road between Kalpetta to the beginning of forest about 20 or so kms (is a guesstimate) is VERY bad. Rest of the stretch is doable and pretty good with occasional pot holed portions. If anyone's taking this route be wary of the pot holes in the forest area. They come in front of you from nowhere and I myself fell into two really big ones despite being in moderate speed. So be very careful.

Last edited by spiritofdriving : 23rd November 2012 at 19:23.
spiritofdriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Hi friends, need a suggestion.
I plan to do a Pune Calicut trip in December. I was wondering if I leave Pune at 5 in the morning, I ll be able to touch base at Calicut by 10-11 in the night same day.

The best route seems to be Pune-Hiriyur-Mysore-Calicut.
Two days back I did a Pune - Bangalore and could hit Hiriyur in just over 8 hrs. But I have no idea how much time it will take from hiriyur to mysore. Mysore-Calicut I expect to be done in 5 hrs.

Some help on this would be great. Specially since entering Bandipur after dark is not possible.

Last edited by vibbs : 5th November 2013 at 12:19.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 12:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi friends, need a suggestion.
I plan to do a Pune Calicut trip in December. I was wondering if I leave Pune at 5 in the morning, I ll be able to touch base at Calicut by 10-11 in the night same day.

The best route seems to be Pune-Hiriyur-Mysore-Calicut.
Two days back I did a Pune - Bangalore and could hit Hiriyur in just over 8 hrs. But I have no idea how much time it will take from hiriyur to mysore. Mysore-Calicut I expect to be done in 5 hrs.

Some help on this would be great. Specially since entering Bandipur after dark is not possible.
Yes, possible. You can make it to Mysore in 12 hours via Hiriyur-HUliyar without any breaks in between. Since the check post at Gundlupet closes at 9 pm, you should cross into Wayanadu without any difficulty, with a couple of hours to spare. Worst case scenario, you will have to stay at Gundulpet.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:37   #22
BHPian

Thanks hvk sir for the advice.
I assume this should be the fastest if not the shortest route to Calicut from Pune rather than following the coast.

Also how is the road from Hiriyur-Mysore? Is it four laned or standard two laned highway without divider?
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 18:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks hvk sir for the advice.
I assume this should be the fastest if not the shortest route to Calicut from Pune rather than following the coast.

Also how is the road from Hiriyur-Mysore? Is it four laned or standard two laned highway without divider?
Yes, it will be the fastest.

Hiriyur-Mysore is a good 2-laned road (no dividers)
Old 8th November 2013, 19:12   #24
BHPian

There is an old thread discussing this route...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-option.html
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote