Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th March 2009, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Default How far can my Alto take me? (Delhi To Yamunotri / Uttarkashi.)

I am planning a sojourn into the hills. I require some info on how far I can go ahead of Rishikesh in my Alto with 2 more people. I am planning to go up to Yamunotri / Uttarkashi. Need to know if the car can take this journey. Am planning to go in the month of April or May.

Please lend your views.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

you can go anywhere
just make sure you take care about its limitations on bad roads
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

It will take you where ever there is a hard surface where the 4 wheels can be well planted.

Have a great trip and drive safe.
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:52   #4
BHPian

Check out the travellouge section. You will find one about a Maruti 800 doing the same trip in 2000. An alto is a much more powerful car. Enjoy your trip and drive safe.
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

It will take you through this trip and many more.

AKRoy where are you?
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:58   #6
BHPian

Of course it will ! I've done similar trips down south in my old Maruti 800 and there was never a problem ! Except that the old model 800 is seriously short on cabin space !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Anywhere you just need to be aware of the terrain , and road surfaces to ensure that you dont damage the car yourself.

Surpirsingly i have also been asked this question by a couple of old timers in my relatives who have done long distance runs during thier good days in thier amby's and padmini's. All of them have that stumped look on thier face when i tell them i do Blore - TVM non stop except for bio breaks and small tea breaks and even during this time the engine ie kept at idle as there would be someone doing off inside the car either my wife or some friend. In the earstwhile rides they were forced to stop and cool down their rides especially after doing long uphill section , which invariabley every route to kerala will have .

Soorry pal i think this is a bit off topic here but be sure that your alto especially if its the MPFi verson can handle be safely taken to any place and the limist are only your skill and limits of physical endurance .
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

It'll take you anywhere and everywhere. Just make sure you've got enough road. You could eve ndo the GQ if you wanted.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
...require some info on how far I can go ahead of Rishikesh in my Alto with 2 more people. I am planning to go up to Yamunotri / Uttarkashi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
...a Maruti 800 doing the same trip in 2000. An alto is a much more powerful car.
@travelwriter: I did that Gangotri trip that dushmish mentioned. Are you driving the 1.1L or 800cc Alto? Sure you can do the trip! Have fun... May might be a better time than April.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 17:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

@travelwriter,
why are you worrying about alto's capability?
Though engine is small, it is capable to go anywhere on hard surface.
Have safe drive and do write travelogue with your wonderful style.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 17:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry, Alto will take you to all places where ever it is motorable and a skillful driver. Pls check travelogue section, I have some very long distance travelogues which I did in my Alto (longest - bangalore to Kolkata).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
It will take you through this trip and many more.

AKRoy where are you?
Here I am Daniel
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 17:44   #12
BHPian

Default Thanks, all

Thanks a ton for everything, friends.

My main concern was about my Alto MPFI taking on the roads there. This is my first car and I do not know much about DYI troubleshooting. So far, I have done a lot of travelling on bikes all across HP, JK and some parts of UP hills, but this will be a first in a car. I was specifically concerned about the terrain and Alto's capability to take them up. But these fears are now laid to rest.

Most of the travelogues that I have read in Team BHP are done on bigger cars (like the one I was reading where the member had gone to Sangla). But the responses give me enough confidence.

This will be my first highway / offroad trip, hence the goosebumps. I plan to take a couple of days to do this and really drive at leisure and ensure I capture a lot of memories.

I guess May is the time then. I will keep following all the old threads on this subject as suggested.

One question, though. Any specific care I must take before starting the journey? Spare parts, basic maintenance, etc.?
Old 16th March 2009, 18:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Spare parts, basic maintenance, etc.?
You'll find plenty of lists for that on this site. Most importantly, raise the suspension with spacer rings. And try to get a steel protection plate installed under the sump. And if it's an old car, give it a new clutch. Gives you a lot of peace of mind...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 10:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You'll find plenty of...peace of mind...
Thanks, SS_Traveller. I will go through other posts on this. I am looking forward to this journey already. My car is new, only 3 months old. So, I guess the clutch is taken care of.

Thanks again.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

Alto? Well this little gem is a sadly very underestimated car. However proof is in the pudding, and if you go to the remotest parts of himalayas where roads are nonexistent, you will see that everybody owns either an 800 or an Alto.
So as long as there is something resembling a road, your alto will go there.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote