Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th September 2013, 16:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: North East+ Bhutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
........reach upto Guwahati. If Karbi Anglong is open then drive to Psholing on Monday. ........Then drive onto east and exit through Samdrup Jongkhar and once again if Karbi Anglong is open drive to Tejpur and back to Jorhat.

If Karbi plays spoil sport then we plan to drive to Shillong from Guwahati, sohra, see more of megahalaya and thend rive to Haflong, Aizwal. See what ever is possible in Mizoram and then return via Silchar> Nagaon>Jorhat or be more adventurous and return via Silchar>Dimapur>Golaghat>Jorhat....
Even if there is a bandh / strike in Karbi Anglong, you can travel on both the routes, Guwahati - Phuntsholing and Samdrup - Tezpur as these do not pass by Karbi Anglong anywhere. Rather, its the other route to Aizawl that you've mentioned which would be affected in case of strike in Karbi Anglong or Dima Hasao.
wanderer4x4 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 17:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Even if there is a bandh / strike in Karbi Anglong, you can travel on both the routes, Guwahati - Phuntsholing and Samdrup - Tezpur as these do not pass by Karbi Anglong anywhere. Rather, its the other route to Aizawl that you've mentioned which would be affected in case of strike in Karbi Anglong or Dima Hasao.
This damn politic geography is so confusing. I thought these chaps want the entire Northern Bank of Brahmaputra. Anyway, what about you? Why dont you also come along?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 20:26   #48
BHPian

I do have a plan for a quick trip to Tawang or Thimphu. But, it'd be most probably around December due to some personal issues at the moment. May be we can do Tawang in December during the winter vacation.
wanderer4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 22:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
I do have a plan for a quick trip to Tawang or Thimphu. But, it'd be most probably around December due to some personal issues at the moment. May be we can do Tawang in December during the winter vacation.
Yups I think that can be done for sure.

Meanwhile, Need suggestions on the following, especially from the bhpians from Guwahati.

For going to North Salmara instead of following the NH37 all the way through Guwahati, can this be opted for, instead?
Turn left on the Namghar Path, Garchuk after the ISBT flyover and continue through Maghoapara, Boragaon; Borjhar and then turn Right on the Guwahati-Accoland-Rani road to join NH 37 again at Azara. This route is basically the southern bank of the Deepor Beel Birds Sanctuary.

Thereafter, after crossing the Brahmaputra, instead of going all the way upto Uttar Salmara can this route be taken?
At Kabaitari turn left onto Salbari-Jogighopa road and join NH 31 just ahead of Dhaknabari and then turn left to continue alogn the north bank onto Cooch Bihar?
Old 5th October 2013, 23:14   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

For those wanting to go to Phuntsoling from Siliguri, use the main highway (Siliguri - Sevok - Chalsa (NH31) - Banarhat - Telepara - Hasimara (NH31C)) instead of the alternate inner minor roads. The Main road has recently been repaired, and the inner roads are now a mess.

Quote:
1. Bhutan; entering through Psholing and exiting through Samdrup Jongkhar. This is the first option and the family favorite.
Things might have changed, but I don't think Samdrup issues permits for Thimpu. You have to have the permit beforehand. Catch 22!

Quote:
For going to North Salmara instead of following the NH37 all the way through Guwahati, can this be opted for, instead?
Turn left on the Namghar Path, Garchuk after the ISBT flyover and continue through Maghoapara, Boragaon; Borjhar and then turn Right on the Guwahati-Accoland-Rani road to join NH 37 again at Azara. This route is basically the southern bank of the Deepor Beel Birds Sanctuary.

Thereafter, after crossing the Brahmaputra, instead of going all the way upto Uttar Salmara can this route be taken?
At Kabaitari turn left onto Salbari-Jogighopa road and join NH 31 just ahead of Dhaknabari and then turn left to continue alogn the north bank onto Cooch Bihar?
Why?
For the second part, yes, but absolutely not recommended.
First part Guwahati locals can answer better, but once again I would think not recommended.

I think you are placing too much importance on distances as seen on a map!

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 5th October 2013 at 23:23.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 23:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
....For going to North Salmara instead of following the NH37 all the way through Guwahati, can this be opted for, instead?
Turn left on the Namghar Path, Garchuk after the ISBT flyover and continue through Maghoapara, Boragaon; Borjhar and then turn Right on the Guwahati-Accoland-Rani road to join NH 37 again at Azara. This route is basically the southern bank of the Deepor Beel Birds Sanctuary....
IMO, it's not worth it. You'd save time by taking the main road rather. And upto ISBT you'd have already crossed the main bottle neck of Beltola Basistha points with only Jalukbari chaos remaining. Now even that can be bypassed by the taking the short cut besides Dr. Bhupen Hazarika's samadhi which is an one way towards Airport / Azara etc.

Though the route mentioned by you appears shorter, the road condition I presume would be bad (it was a couple of years back, when I'd traveled that side to Pamohi). Don't know about the present condition on the complete stretch, but with rains all around the internal roads in those areas are generally bad.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 5th October 2013 at 23:25.
wanderer4x4 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 00:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The Main road has recently been repaired, and the inner roads are now a mess.

Why?
For the second part, yes, but absolutely not recommended.
First part Guwahati locals can answer better, but once again I would think not recommended.

I think you are placing too much importance on distances as seen on a map!

Regards
Sutripta
What would be my best bet to reach Pshtling from Guwahati? What would be the fastest route, as I think Ill have to do Jorhat-Pshtling in a single day?
Old 6th October 2013, 21:01   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What would be the fastest route, as I think Ill have to do Jorhat-Pshtling in a single day?
Jorhat (NH37) Goalpara (NH31B) N. Salmara.
Beyond that advice depends on
a) what car
b) Time of travel.

Normally I don't suggest tourists leave the major roads. But you being a local can try N. Salmara - Bahalpur - Kokrajhar - Dotma - Bhowraguri - Gossaigaon - Barobisha - Hasimara. (I use a slightly different route - Kokrajhar - Shaktiashram - Bhowraguri, but would suggest you avoid it. Does not show on any map.)

Jorhat - Hasimara is ~ 650 KM. Phuntsoling gate is closed at night. Back calculate from that.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th October 2013, 22:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jorhat (NH37) Goalpara (NH31B) N. Salmara.
Beyond that advice depends on
a) what car INDIGO MARINA
b) Time of travel. Early morning start on a Sunday 11 Oct

Normally I don't suggest tourists leave the major roads. But you being a local I am not, just got posted to Jorhat about 4 months backcan try N. Salmara - Bahalpur - Kokrajhar - Dotma - Bhowraguri - Gossaigaon - Barobisha - Hasimara. (I use a slightly different route - Kokrajhar - Shaktiashram - Bhowraguri, but would suggest you avoid it. Does not show on any map.) Any particular reason?

Jorhat - Hasimara is ~ 650 KM. Phuntsoling gate is closed at night What time do they close?. Back calculate from that.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes I know it would be a major task, I drove Silliguri-Jorhat in about 14 hrs through Rangia-Tejpur route a few months back on my way to Jorhat from Chandigarh. It should take me about the same time, will it?
Regards.
Old 7th October 2013, 20:52   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not, just got posted to Jorhat about 4 months back
Would then suggest that you stick to the main roads. So N. Salmara - cut through Bongaigaon to NH31C and continue. You will have to weave in and out from one flank to another, but really not a problem during daytime. Some patches are very bad. Cant be helped.

Quote:
Yes I know it would be a major task, I drove Silliguri-Jorhat in about 14 hrs through Rangia-Tejpur route a few months back on my way to Jorhat from Chandigarh. It should take me about the same time, will it?
Regards.
South Bank road should take significantly less time.
What time did you cross Mangaldai?
BTW, what is your car registration number. The first part.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 22:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would then suggest that you stick to the main roads. So N. Salmara - cut through Bongaigaon to NH31C and continue. You will have to weave in and out from one flank to another, but really not a problem during daytime. Some patches are very bad. Cant be helped.

South Bank road should take significantly less time.
What time did you cross Mangaldai?
BTW, what is your car registration number. The first part.

Regards
Sutripta
Well need to check the exact timings but I started at 0615 from sevok and was at Hashimara around 0900 and at Rangia @1330 or roundabout. Stopped for an hour for Lunch there. Tejpur @1730, Kaziranga @1900 and Jorhat 2020.

Its HR01W3631. Anyway the office emergency has been postponed now for after the trip so I am comfortable. Will start on 12 from Jorhat, halt at Guwahati and on 13th start from Guwahati to reach P'shling. Any good place at Cooch Behar for Lunch or any other suggestions?
Regards.

You wont suggest NSalmara>Chapar>Gauripur>Boxirhat>Cooch Behar>Alipurdwar>Paschim Jitpur>Hamiltonganj>Jaygaon.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 7th October 2013 at 22:35.
Old 8th October 2013, 21:29   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You wont suggest NSalmara>Chapar>Gauripur>Boxirhat>Cooch Behar>Alipurdwar>Paschim Jitpur>Hamiltonganj>Jaygaon.
No. Gouripur onwards, road has deteriorated. IF in daylight, use NH31C/ Srirampur border crossing.

Whichever route, lots of dhabas once you enter Bengal. Less so on the Assam side. But this is one aspect where I really cant give better advice. I normally don't stop for food when driving! I consider it a HUGE timewaster.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 8th October 2013 at 21:31.
Old 8th October 2013, 21:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. Gouripur onwards, road has deteriorated. IF in daylight, use NH31C/ Srirampur border crossing.

Whichever route, lots of dhabas once you enter Bengal. Less so on the Assam side. But this is one aspect where I really cant give better advice. I normally don't stop for food when driving! I consider it a HUGE timewaster.

Regards
Sutripta
Roger that Chief. I also believe in eating while travelling. Nothing like some paronthas with hot tea/coffee or a colddrink eating while on the move by the roadside for a quick snack. Will stick to the route as advised. Now it seems it is a holiday on 14 at Pshling so the permits can be made only on 15th. Haha.
Old 8th October 2013, 21:53   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
No, I mean I don't even stop art Dhabas!

Stay 13th night at Madarihat. See if you can wangle a safari in Jaldapara. Explore the forests.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 22:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^
No, I mean I don't even stop art Dhabas!

Stay 13th night at Madarihat. See if you can wangle a safari in Jaldapara. Explore the forests.

Regards
Sutripta
Maybe I failed to express myself clearly but totally understood what you meant. Have enough of the forests here in this part of the woods. Plus its a tight situation and only with a lot of persuasion have I managed to secure one room with the DANTAK mess for 13-14. I miss on 13 and chances are somebody else will snap it up. So will reach Pshling. But what are the places that can be seen on the way up as from Guwahati to Pshling it should be a easy leisurely drive on a Sunday, right?