Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th June 2016, 13:24   #211

Default Re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

I recently did Palakkad - Ooty and took the Conoor route both ways. I recommend the Conoor route anyday because it is shorter and the driveability is not any way more taxing than Kotagiri route.

Due to the flyover work happening near Karamadai, we took the longer Kaniyur - Annur route to Mettupalayam. It is much faster and easier to drive than through Coimbatore. The only pain point is the high Kaniyur toll amount. Is there a way to bye pass this toll booth since we need to go off the highway towards Annur three kilometers after the toll booth?

Thanks!
TPaulV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 13:58   #212
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaulV View Post
The only pain point is the high Kaniyur toll amount. Is there a way to bye pass this toll booth since we need to go off the highway towards Annur three kilometers after the toll booth?
I think one option is this:
After you exit L&T byepass, turn left into Avinashi road, go up to the signal near the Coimbatore airport turn off. Here, you can turn right and take NH209 to Annur.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 18:58   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaulV View Post
Due to the flyover work happening near Karamadai, we took the longer Kaniyur - Annur route to Mettupalayam. It is much faster and easier to drive than through Coimbatore. The only pain point is the high Kaniyur toll amount. Is there a way to bye pass this toll booth since we need to go off the highway towards Annur three kilometers after the toll booth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think one option is this:
After you exit L&T byepass, turn left into Avinashi road, go up to the signal near the Coimbatore airport turn off. Here, you can turn right and take NH209 to Annur.
I suppose you're referring to the road from CBE airport junction on Avinashi road which hits NH209 at Kurumbapalayam ? That route takes about 10-15 minutes extra compared to the route via Karumathampatty-Annur, mainly because the traffic on the CBE airport-Kurumbapalayam section is much higher than that on SH165, and not very conducive to overtaking (though the road condition is fairly good).

However it does save you Rs 85 in tolls that you're charged for driving on 10 kms of 6 lane road from L&T bypass exit to Karumathampatty.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 10:16   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I suppose you're referring to the road from CBE airport junction on Avinashi road which hits NH209 at Kurumbapalayam ? That route takes about 10-15 minutes extra compared to the route via Karumathampatty-Annur...
Yes, that route might take more time. Has anyone tried MD 713 Thennampalayam - Kittampalayam to by-pass the Kanniyur toll? Google maps show its only 11 kms and not too much of a detour.
TPaulV is offline   Reply With Quote