Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 11:57   #1
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 294 Times
Default Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

To get back to Mumbai from Badami (i will be going there from Hampi), is it advisable to go via Belgaum and then NH4 or Sankheshwar and then NH4?

The non expressway Bijapur option does not seem too appealing. Hence the question...

Thanks
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:08   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Yes, you can go from Badami to Bagalkot and join NH4 at Belgaum
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 11:27   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 981
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

On paper Badami - Kulgeri - Ramdurg - Yeragatti - Belgaum on SH20 makes more sense, therafter take NH4 to Mumbai. However I do not know condition of this SH20. You may also take Yeragatti - Gokak - Sankeshwar, to meet NH4 at Sankeshwar. Again recent travellers may please post road condition updates.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 21:20   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
On paper Badami - Kulgeri - Ramdurg - Yeragatti - Belgaum on SH20 makes more sense, therafter take NH4 to Mumbai. However I do not know condition of this SH20. You may also take Yeragatti - Gokak - Sankeshwar, to meet NH4 at Sankeshwar. Again recent travellers may please post road condition updates.
Just bumping up an old thread. Looks like i am the first one to travel this route.

Badami - Kulgeri - Ramdurg : Roads are narrow, patchy, surface has worn off.
Ramdurg - Torgal - Yergatti : Roads are much wider in the ghat sections surface has also worn off but to a lesser extent. At some places the road simply ends, making one wonder what next, then if one looks around one will find a small section of dirt track.

Yergatti - Belgaum : Excellent broad road.

Traffic is light on Badami to Yergatti section. However one needs to pass through the market place at ramdurg which i guess will be an issue during daytime hours.

Overall, SUV/MUVs will not find it a problem. With sedans it depends on the ground clearance, the tolerance of the suspension and the spirit of adventure. The area is thinly populated and almost no facilities exist enroute. One can keep a average speed of around 40 Kmph.

SH 14/139 badami - yergatti is a much shorter route, around 130 Km, compared to SH 20 badami - bagalkot - belgaum, around 180 Km.

Hope this helps !
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

SH20 via Bagalkot & Lokapur to Belgaum is fantastic, I travelled on it 3 days ago. However, please do not take the Lokapur-Chikodi-Nippani road, it is a total disaster for 100+ kms.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 19:37   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Onward took the Sankeshwar - Gokak - Yergatti - Ramdurg - Badami route. The Sankeshwar - Yergatti stretch of about 70 kms is a good broad road with sparse traffic and the road is pretty good. The only problem is that there are pretty bad speed breakers every 100-200 mts. The stretch from Yergatti - Badami is very bad, with potholes, narrow stretches - if you meet an oncoming vehicle, atleast one vehicle has to get half off the road. The edges of the road are jagged and the shoulder is 6 - 8 inches lower than the road. I reached Mumbai - Sankeshwar, a distance of about 450 kms in about 7 - 7.5 hrs including almost 2 hrs of breakfast/lunch breaks. The Sankeshwar - Badami stretch of 150 kms took almost 4 hrs.
On the way back, decided to take a longer route of Badami - Dharwad via NH 218 turnoff at Kulgeri and Hubli bypass via SH 28 at Hebsur. This route is about 90 kms longer, but a beautiful stretch of tarmac. Didn't save much in terms of time, but road quality is much better, less stressful for both the driver and the vehicle.
And oh, on the Yergatti - Ramdurg-Badami stretch which is bad, also got a flat tyre - the tubeless radial saved me actually!
ramraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 10:24   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramraman View Post
Onward took the Sankeshwar - Gokak - Yergatti - Ramdurg - Badami route. The Sankeshwar - Yergatti stretch of about 70 kms is a good broad road with sparse traffic and the road is pretty good. The only problem is that there are pretty bad speed breakers every 100-200 mts. The stretch from Yergatti - Badami is very bad, with potholes, narrow stretches - if you meet an oncoming vehicle, atleast one vehicle has to get half off the road. The edges of the road are jagged and the shoulder is 6 - 8 inches lower than the road. I reached Mumbai - Sankeshwar, a distance of about 450 kms in about 7 - 7.5 hrs including almost 2 hrs of breakfast/lunch breaks. The Sankeshwar - Badami stretch of 150 kms took almost 4 hrs.
On the way back, decided to take a longer route of Badami - Dharwad via NH 218 turnoff at Kulgeri and Hubli bypass via SH 28 at Hebsur. This route is about 90 kms longer, but a beautiful stretch of tarmac. Didn't save much in terms of time, but road quality is much better, less stressful for both the driver and the vehicle.
And oh, on the Yergatti - Ramdurg-Badami stretch which is bad, also got a flat tyre - the tubeless radial saved me actually!
Why did you not try Badami-Bagalkot-Lokapur-Yargatti route? That is supposed to be good, and maybe shorter too.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 11:15   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why did you not try Badami-Bagalkot-Lokapur-Yargatti route? That is supposed to be good, and maybe shorter too.
When I look in maps, Ramdurag option seems the shorter one. I guess thats why he would have taken that route
(or some locals must have guided him that way)

But as you say, the option via Bagalkot/Yaragatti would have been better with good roads.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 15:16   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 16 Times
Smile Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When I look in maps, Ramdurag option seems the shorter one. I guess thats why he would have taken that route
(or some locals must have guided him that way)

But as you say, the option via Bagalkot/Yaragatti would have been better with good roads.
Yes! Took the Ramadurg route since it looked shorter on google maps. At Badami, locals guided me to take the Yaragatti route and it was a much pleasanter drive.
ramraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 12:37   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,084 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

I will be visiting Badami from 9th to 14th Feb with my family and my 3.5 year son.

Mode of travel will be Wagon R CNG.

I propose to take the below route:

Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4-route.jpg

Hotels have already been booked:

1) Two nights 10th-12th in Hampi
2) One night in Badami
3) One night at Bijapur

I will be taking the NH4 throughout and request the below details:

1) Last point of CNG filling on the way. I know there is a decent pump in Pimpri. Anything beyond that?

2) Toll from Mumbai to Hampi?

3) Traffic and road conditions

4) Expected time for travel

5) Any good eating options in Hampi, Badami and Bijapur
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 12:47   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 262
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I will be taking the NH4 throughout and request the below details:

2) Toll from Mumbai to Hampi?

3) Traffic and road conditions

4) Expected time for travel

5) Any good eating options in Hampi, Badami and Bijapur

I did Mumbai Hampi Mumbai over the weekend. Detailed travelogue should be out by this weekend.

I took NH4 till Hubli and then NH63 till Hospet (I stayed at Hospet).
Toll was about Rs.650 one way.
Traffic was as usual high between Pune and Kolhapur.
Travel time from Mumbai to Hampi for me was 13 hours for 740 KM.
Shanbhag restaurant in Hospet near the bus stand is a decent place. Try that if you stay in Hospet. There are multiple others as well.

In Hampi there are two joints both of which were crowded when I went there. One was a KTDC place named Mayura Bhuvaneshwari and the other was Food Point.

Last edited by @Chaand : 28th January 2016 at 12:49.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 20:30   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,040
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
3) Traffic and road conditions

4) Expected time for travel

5) Any good eating options in Hampi, Badami and Bijapur
Hi Arnab,

I would suggest to skip Aihole, I had been there recently and there's nothing spectacular there worth seeing. Pattadakal is also OK unless you are huge fan of temple architecture. Badami cave temples and nearby temples are worth a look. Road between Badami and Pattadakal is OKish, goes through villages. I could not find a decent eating joint in Badami nor in Pattadakal. Same case with Bijapur too even though its district HQ. Bear in mind, the food in these areas is too spicy for our taste.

You have opted to return back via NH4, I was to suggest to take the NH9 via Solapur and Pune. Good expressway roads you can easily do triple digit speeds. Hadapsar area is a bit clogged but still doable.

Can i suggest you to visit Kudal Sangam a confluence of 3 holy rivers near Aihole instead? I hope you are visiting Bijapur, definitely visit the Gol Gumbaz, Mallik e maidan, Uppali buruz, Ibrahim roza and all.
ghodlur is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 12:33   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pune
Posts: 341
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
5) Any good eating options in Hampi, Badami and Bijapur
Since other questions are replied, I will reply only 5th question.

In Hampi, there is a restaurant called 'Mango Tree'. It's a must visit restaurant. It's partly open air restaurant where you have a option to sit on the floor with table in front of you. Sitting is on wide steps and you are facing river. Nice food and beautiful site.

In Badami, there are two options.. First is restaurant in hotel 'Heritage resort'. They serve very good Vegetarian food. It is also very nice decent hotel to stay. Just 100 meters ahead there is a hotel called 'Badami Court'. The restaurant in Badami court is also decent restaurant. Quality and Taste at heritage was better when we visited two years ago.

When I traveled, road between Hampi and Badami was okay in parts. Condition may have improved now.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 14:00   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,084 Times
Default Re: Badami to Mumbai - Shortest Cut to NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
I did Mumbai Hampi Mumbai over the weekend. Detailed travelogue should be out by this weekend.

I took NH4 till Hubli and then NH63 till Hospet (I stayed at Hospet).
Toll was about Rs.650 one way.
Traffic was as usual high between Pune and Kolhapur.
Travel time from Mumbai to Hampi for me was 13 hours for 740 KM.
Shanbhag restaurant in Hospet near the bus stand is a decent place. Try that if you stay in Hospet. There are multiple others as well.

In Hampi there are two joints both of which were crowded when I went there. One was a KTDC place named Mayura Bhuvaneshwari and the other was Food Point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

You have opted to return back via NH4, I was to suggest to take the NH9 via Solapur and Pune. Good expressway roads you can easily do triple digit speeds. Hadapsar area is a bit clogged but still doable.

Can i suggest you to visit Kudal Sangam a confluence of 3 holy rivers near Aihole instead? I hope you are visiting Bijapur, definitely visit the Gol Gumbaz, Mallik e maidan, Uppali buruz, Ibrahim roza and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Since other questions are replied, I will reply only 5th question.

In Hampi, there is a restaurant called 'Mango Tree'. It's a must visit restaurant. It's partly open air restaurant where you have a option to sit on the floor with table in front of you. Sitting is on wide steps and you are facing river. Nice food and beautiful site.

When I traveled, road between Hampi and Badami was okay in parts. Condition may have improved now.
Thanks a lot friends!!

Great help!!
@Chaand, your detailed review helped.

Just the query of CNG. Any pump available beyound Pimpri.
I will take the old Pune Highway to reach till Pune and then onwards, top up at Pimpri and take the course to Kolhapur.

I donot want to tank up in the Wakad pump as the queues are serpentine!!
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safari 2.2: Mumbai(NH4)-Kabini JLR-Belur-Halebid-Cochin-Wayanad-Mumbai(NH17) DaiusPitar Travelogues 62 1st March 2011 14:41
Current road condition on NH4 near davangere ?? Mumbai to Bangalore ume11 Route / Travel Queries 12 7th December 2009 14:58
Along NH4 (Karnataka section) with few deviations - Gadag, Badami, Hubli, Kittur sreenidhibr Travelogues 4 4th January 2008 14:38
Shortest Route : Hyderabad to Chennai drvarma1 Route / Travel Queries 0 16th December 2007 18:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks