Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th December 2012, 15:29   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Allahabad - Best route?

I did the Nagpur-Jabalpur-Varanasi-Nawada this summer and the road condition was not that bad, the worst section was the MH-MP section and some part at MP-UP,but overall it was doable and I did that in my Skoda Yeti. Not sure about the current state after the rains though.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 18:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I did the Nagpur-Jabalpur-Varanasi-Nawada this summer and the road condition was not that bad, the worst section was the MH-MP section and some part at MP-UP,but overall it was doable and I did that in my Skoda Yeti. Not sure about the current state after the rains though.

-Pramod
Thank you for the useful feedback. I assume that you followed Nagpur-Seoni-Jabalpur-Katni-Maihar-Rewa-Mirzapur route (NH7). Or did you take SH?

My relative would be travelling with Verna, so I don't know if this route pose more problems to him.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 11:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Thank you for the useful feedback. I assume that you followed Nagpur-Seoni-Jabalpur-Katni-Maihar-Rewa-Mirzapur route (NH7). Or did you take SH?

My relative would be travelling with Verna, so I don't know if this route pose more problems to him.
I took the NH route, people say SH is in better shape than NH, but I was travelling in night and was not aware of SH, there were few bad patches in between Katni-Maihar-Rewa section but not bad enough for cars.

I believe Verna or any other car can make.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
... Nagpur-Seoni-Jabalpur-Katni-Maihar-Rewa-Mirzapur route (NH7). Or did you take SH?...
I did this sector in Diwali this year in my wagonR with family. Avoid NH7 between Nagpur <-> Maihar. There are alternatives using SH + NH7 routes. Refer this thread for more:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...rpur-road.html (Pune to Muzaffarpur by road)

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 23:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I took the NH route, people say SH is in better shape than NH, but I was travelling in night and was not aware of SH, there were few bad patches in between Katni-Maihar-Rewa section but not bad enough for cars.

I believe Verna or any other car can make.

-Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I did this sector in Diwali this year in my wagonR with family. Avoid NH7 between Nagpur <-> Maihar. There are alternatives using SH + NH7 routes. Refer this thread for more:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...rpur-road.html (Pune to Muzaffarpur by road)

-BJ
Thanks for valuable suggestions. I also went through the thread mentioned. And looks like below is the optimum route.

From Mumbai head towards Nagpur.
Just Before Nagpur, Take route to Chindwara -> Seoni Chhapra -> Jabalpur

Further, don't take Jabalpur to Maihar direct route by NH7 (via Katni).
Instead, go to Jabalpur -> Kundam -> Shahpura -> Umeria -> Bhandhavgarah -> Maihar -> Rewa -> Varanasi
Old 7th December 2012, 23:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
...From Mumbai head towards Nagpur.
Just Before Nagpur, Take route to Chindwara -> Seoni Chhapra -> Jabalpur...
If Nagpur is not a mandatory destination, you can reach Jabalpur directly (and probably faster too?) via Burhanpur-Khandwa or via Indore route. I have not done this road myself hence, can't comment on the road condition. It was suggested by anothr BHP-ian "frequentflier" in the other thread.

Major part of Amravati to Nagpur NH is under four-laning work. I found a lot of chaotic traffic and diversion on this section for about ~100kms. It slowed me down.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 00:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
If Nagpur is not a mandatory destination, you can reach Jabalpur directly (and probably faster too?) via Burhanpur-Khandwa or via Indore route. I have not done this road myself hence, can't comment on the road condition. It was suggested by anothr BHP-ian "frequentflier" in the other thread.

Major part of Amravati to Nagpur NH is under four-laning work. I found a lot of chaotic traffic and diversion on this section for about ~100kms. It slowed me down.

-BJ
Thanks for the info. I will note it. Regarding, via Indore, I read in some other thread that Indore -> Sagar (as well as Indore -> Shivpuri) road condition is not good, hence thinking about the via Nagpur/Jabalpur route.
Old 27th December 2012, 18:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will note it. Regarding, via Indore, I read in some other thread that Indore -> Sagar (as well as Indore -> Shivpuri) road condition is not good, hence thinking about the via Nagpur/Jabalpur route.
The Indore Bhopal stretch is very good. Did it in November 2012. However after Bhopal one needs to take NH86 and HN86A to reach Sagar. The NH86 stretch in particular from Rahatgarh to Sagar was awful.

Indore Shivpuri is also awful.
satrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 11:37   #24

I'm planning to go to Allahabad from Mumbai for the Kumbh Mela. Can I get views on the current best road route please, along with distance and preferably place I can stay overnight after covering 50% of the journey?
G Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 20:57   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Jee View Post
I'm planning to go to Allahabad from Mumbai for the Kumbh Mela. Can I get views on the current best road route please, along with distance and preferably place I can stay overnight after covering 50% of the journey?

Question : Is the stretch beyond Indore too bad ? If yes, then the alternate is :

Mumbai-AMD-Kota-Jhansi-Kanpur-Allahabad
You get 4L most of the way. But yes, its easily 300-400 km more. Not sure if that long a detour is worth it.

Last edited by ampere : 26th January 2013 at 21:13.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 11:55   #26

Thank you for your reply amp. Is there a shorter route? If yes, how is the route and what is it pl? Shall be obliged with feedback.
G Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 18:58   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you for your reply amp. Is there a shorter route? If yes, how is the route and what is it pl? Shall be obliged with feedback.
I remember once HVK mentioning some one to take this longer option, compared to going via MP. I think that was some 3-4 months back. Dont know how the situation is today.

The other route, as the earlier posts say :

Mumbai-Nasik-Indore - Sagar - Bhopal - Chatarpur - Allahabad.
Old 27th January 2013, 21:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You could do Kota on the first day, as I did. It's about 1060 kilometers. Takes about 14.5 to 15 hours with stops for food, fuel and some amount of rest. You will need to start very early though. Hotel Madhushree is a good option. I took the Mumbai Ahmedabad Udaipur Chittorgarh Kota route. Alternately if you ate not comfortable driving so long on the first day you could stop at Udaipur and then go on to Allahabad via Kota Shivpuri Jhansi Kanpur on the second day.
satrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 21:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I remember once HVK mentioning some one to take this longer option, compared to going via MP. I think that was some 3-4 months back. Dont know how the situation is today.

The other route, as the earlier posts say :

Mumbai-Nasik-Indore - Sagar - Bhopal - Chatarpur - Allahabad.
The route is Indore Bhopal Sagar Chattarpur. The road upto Bhopal is excellent. From Bhopal upto Rahatgarh is fairly okay. Beyond that is a moonscape. I did this route in November 2012.
satrab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 23:11   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
The route is Indore Bhopal Sagar Chattarpur. The road upto Bhopal is excellent. From Bhopal upto Rahatgarh is fairly okay. Beyond that is a moonscape. I did this route in November 2012.
Sorry for the typo. I did mean Bhopal-Sagar-Chattarpur.

Some how I vaguely remember it being quoted that routes around Bhopal were a strict no-no and hence it was seen OK even for a 300km detour.