Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 19:38   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default Kailash Mansarovar Yatra via Kathmandu/Tibet- Itenary Now Posted

My parents are hoping to do the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra sometime soon. I think for this year its already late so they hoping to do this Yatra next year. They are phyiscally quite fit so I guess health wont be an issue if they do it as soon as possible.

I believe for this Yatra lot of arrangements are required for e.g Visas, medical cerificates, clearances etc etc.

Has any one from the Team done it, or maybe any of your friends, have they done it?

1. What are the requirements, is age a factor?
2. Agencies organising the yatra govt/private?
3. cost?
4. Possible routes. I know 2...via Nepal/lhasa or thru India Kausani and up?
5. authentic agencies adresses and phone numbers?

I know all this is very vague, so this is the exact reason why i would like you guys to fill me up with whatever authentic information you guys can provide.

Any inputs from you guys will be much appreciated.

Thanks
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 21:43   #2
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I had seen a nice write-up on the Mansarovar Yatra in 101 Pilgrimages from Outlook Traveller. I felt the Indian option is better than the Nepal one as you have helicopter backup as well as support from the government.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 21:46   #3
BHPian
 
akbaree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

What a co-incidence. While I was viewing this thread, the advertisement being displayed was...

Kailash Mansarovar Yatra via Kathmandu/Tibet- Itenary Now Posted-kailash.jpg
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 22:03   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 314
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
What a co-incidence. While I was viewing this thread, the advertisement being displayed was...
Isnt that what Google AdSense is supposed to be all about? Splash relevant ads which is close to the context you are looking for..
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 22:36   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 222
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

OT
I think its more of Google-incidence than coincidence.
The Google ads team does some sort of web-mining of the web page contents and then display 'relevant' ads
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 22:48   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CCU & Kitchener
Posts: 593
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

AFAIK, the govt agency conducts a lottery each year, to select persons who can join the pilgrimage. After you are selected, you have to go through medical checkups and then you are finally ready. The route through Kausani involves trekking for days together and is obviously more involving and tempting. On the other hand, age is a factor and whether the participants can cover the India distance on foot is a question, before they cross over the Indo-Tibet border.

On the other hand, the private agencies use 4x4 vehicles from Nepal and you get to ride all your way up.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 22:48   #7
BHPian
 
arin_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 598
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Its the software / advertisement configuration. If you observe while googling, you can see some related links of your search word.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 09:43   #8
BHPian
 
akbaree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Isnt that what Google AdSense is supposed to be all about? Splash relevant ads which is close to the context you are looking for..
I believe it is. I didn't realize it.

Last edited by akbaree : 28th March 2009 at 09:45.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 10:09   #9
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
On the other hand, the private agencies use 4x4 vehicles from Nepal and you get to ride all your way up.
The problem is not just the hardship but the amount of time you get for proper acclimatization. A shortened trip with less time for acclimatization at those altitudes could be near fatal.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 10:19   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Isnt that what Google AdSense is supposed to be all about? Splash relevant ads which is close to the context you are looking for..
Yes it is.
you always get adv's somewhat related to the ongoing topic in the thread.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 20:33   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CCU & Kitchener
Posts: 593
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
The problem is not just the hardship but the amount of time you get for proper acclimatization. A shortened trip with less time for acclimatization at those altitudes could be near fatal.
I agree with you. If I have to do this trip myself, I would choose the trek over the drive, anyday. I thought of mentioning the hardship factor, as deky is planning this trip for his parents.

@Deky : you can check this link - Kailash Mansarovar Yatra | Mt Kailash Mansarovar Tour | Kailash Mansarovar Tourism India

@Others: Lets stick to the topic.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 14:32   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 269
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
My parents are hoping to do the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra sometime soon. I think for this year its already late so they hoping to do this Yatra next year. They are phyiscally quite fit so I guess health wont be an issue if they do it as soon as possible.

I believe for this Yatra lot of arrangements are required for e.g Visas, medical cerificates, clearances etc etc.

Has any one from the Team done it, or maybe any of your friends, have they done it?

1. What are the requirements, is age a factor?
2. Agencies organising the yatra govt/private?
3. cost?
4. Possible routes. I know 2...via Nepal/lhasa or thru India Kausani and up?
5. authentic agencies adresses and phone numbers?

I know all this is very vague, so this is the exact reason why i would like you guys to fill me up with whatever authentic information you guys can provide.

Any inputs from you guys will be much appreciated.

Thanks
I don't know if you heard about Isha Foundation, Coimbatore. They are organising a Kailash Manasasarovar Yatra. I was told by people who undertook the yatra to be a memorable experience. Please check their website for more details.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 20:42   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Thanks guys for all the response. After checking with other people and collecting data from various sites and ofcourse discussing it with my parents, a few things have become clear.

1. Govt trek via kausani is out of equation as it involves a lot of trekking and also when they assign groups, there is no gauarntee that my mom and dad will get the same group.

2. Most probably they will fly to Kathmandu and have the following options

A. 15 day trip on landrovers 4x4 to Kailash and back to Kathmandu.

B. 21 Day trip on landrovers 4X4 to Kailash and then to Lhasa and fly back to Kathmandu

I am still looking out for various travel agencies who organise such trips to get the best deal for quality

EDIT: @Lejhoom I had a look, the last date is 31st March, will call them tomorrow and check. Thanks

Last edited by deky : 30th March 2009 at 21:00.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:29   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 78
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

@deky, can you the mention the costs of the two landrover trips ?
dark_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 19:28   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
@deky, can you the mention the costs of the two landrover trips ?
Trip A :- 60,000/- plus aplicable service tax (he will get back to me on how much the service tax is)

Trip B :- quotation not yet recieved

I think ill also try from travel agencies in kathmandu as all the travels are ex-kathmandu

Last edited by deky : 31st March 2009 at 19:29.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When I Went Walking To Tibet - Kailash Mansarovar Yatra-2011 deky Travelogues 191 8th August 2017 19:27
Traversing The Tibet Plateau To Mount Kailash deky Travelogues 262 1st August 2016 19:07
The Unfinished Journey- Trip to Kailash Mansarovar via the MEA Route deky Route / Travel Queries 46 30th August 2011 14:08
Maharashtra Itenary asethi Route / Travel Queries 13 23rd December 2009 17:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks