Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st April 2013, 23:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola road conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdive View Post
2. Any advise on a good hotel in Belgaum ? I usually stay at Sankam residency - but that's sold out this weekend.
If you want to stay at Kolhapur, I would strongly advise Hotel Rajat Executive. Decent rates, hot water, spacious and clean rooms, and complimentary breakfast. Plus it's only a few minutes from the highway and right before the crowded areas, so getting in and out is easy. They are also open 24 hrs, so reaching there at midnight should not be an issue.

Also they have ample parking space.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure if it would be worth the savings. Because that 20km you would cover via NH63 and NH17 in very little time. .
Thanks @amp. Makes sense. Will stick to NH63 all the way till Ankola

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If you want to stay at Kolhapur, I would strongly advise Hotel Rajat Executive. Decent rates, hot water, spacious and clean rooms, and complimentary breakfast. Plus it's only a few minutes from the highway and right before the crowded areas, so getting in and out is easy. They are also open 24 hrs, so reaching there at midnight should not be an issue.

Also they have ample parking space.
Thanks @honeybee. I am still searching for options in Belgaum. If I don't get any, I might opt for this one.
godeepdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdive View Post
Thanks @honeybee. I am still searching for options in Belgaum. If I don't get any, I might opt for this one.
Hotel Sankam is a better choice in Belgaum. 1500 bucks including breakfast for an A/c room.

Also, it is close to the highway.

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 14:58   #49

I plan to travel from Pune to Jog falls on 29 Aug, leaving at six in the morning.

After going thru various threads on team-bhp, the route i propose to take is as follows:

Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum- Hubli-Dharvad-Yellapur-Siddhapur-Sirsi-Jog falls.

I have Two queries;
1) Is the above route appropriate:and where does one exactly turn for the yellapur road.

2) I should hit Dharwad-Hubli by 1.00 PM; any decent places for decent vegetarian lunch close to the highway near Dharwad-Hubli. Any places for good Benne Dosa.
Thanks
bhalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 15:36   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalu View Post
- Hubli-Dharvad-Yellapur-Siddhapur-Sirsi-Jog falls.

I have Two queries;
1) Is the above route appropriate:and where does one exactly turn for the yellapur road.

2) I should hit Dharwad-Hubli by 1.00 PM; any decent places for decent vegetarian lunch close to the highway near Dharwad-Hubli. Any places for good Benne Dosa.
Thanks
Hubli-Yellapur is goood. On the Dharwad-Hubli by-pass, you will need to turn right towards Karwar/Ankola. This exit is a little before Hubli / end of the by-pass.

Do not take the previous exit (Kalghatgi /Dharwad). This exit can save you a few km's, but the road will slow you down (road conditions + local traffic)

At Yellapur, go into town & ask for Sirsi.

Yellapur-Sirsi is fine. Last year, some stretches were a bit rough (when compared to highways). But still good enough for may people to drive on.

Sirsi -Siddhapur - no idea.

For food, an ok option is the Kamat Upachar a little before Dharwad / before the by-pass starts. On the highway there is not much choice in that area. In case you are in Belgaum at lunch time, then try the hotels adjacent to the highway , in the city. Like Hotel Sankam. There is hardly anything on the highway after Belgaum city.

Benne dosa ? not in this section ..
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 22:37   #51

Thanks a lot condor for all the help, the driving time should be 10-11 hrs?
bhalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 06:43   #52
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2) I should hit Dharwad-Hubli by 1.00 PM; any decent places for decent vegetarian lunch close to the highway near Dharwad-Hubli. Any places for good Benne Dosa.Thanks
Davanagere is famous for it's Benne Dosa but that's beyond Hubli on the way to Bangalore since you're coming down from Pune side.

When you visit Jog, try to also visit the Lion & Tiger Safari, Tyavarekoppa, 10 Km before Shimoga.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 07:11   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot condor for all the help, the driving time should be 10-11 hrs?
You're welcome !
10-11 hours should be fine.

Suggestion - Check out for food & fuel options before hand.

In Yellapur, there is one good IOC bunk, but it is on the highway towards Karwar. About 2 km extra, but do-able. The hotel next to it is ok for food. (DOnt use the bunk in Yellpur town itself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
When you visit Jog, try to also visit the Lion & Tiger Safari, Tyavarekoppa, 10 Km before Shimoga.
Shimoga is out of the way for him, since he is coming from Pune.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 07:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Davanagere is famous for it's Benne Dosa but that's beyond Hubli on the way to Bangalore since you're coming down from Pune side.

Tyavarekoppa will just be a waste of time and fuel. You will find some Tigers and Lions but each and every animal in this Safari not at all healthy. You can count the number of bones of all animals. Also it would be around 70 Kms from Jog. If you are looking for some detour you can check Sahasralinga near sirsi, Magod Falls, Kavadi kere and Jenukallu Gudda near Yellapur. If you have time of half a day you can also plan for Yaana. The only thing is you will have to plan your stay in Sirsi instead of Jog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Sirsi -Siddhapur - no idea.

The road between Sirsi-Siddhapur-Jog is very good. Its a single road but very scenic. After Siddhapur you can go to Jog in 2 ways.
1) Take the Mavinagundi road from Siddapur
2) Proceed almost till Talguppa and take right towards Jog on BH road.

I would personally suggest you to take Mavinagundi road as Talaguppa Siddapur road is not good for any car as of now.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th August 2014 at 08:03.
meetbadri is offline   Reply With Quote