Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th April 2009, 05:02   #16

Konkan coast is going to be hot as hel, but the beautiful beaches offset the 'hot' factor.

Like others, I would recommend:
- Ganpatipule, 375Km, 7 hrs, NH17. MTDC - Konkani Huts, AC Deluxe Cottages, 1100-1800/- per room. Stunning beach, and though MTDC is a govt run place, it is very nice, with average food, though
- Tarkarli, 500KM, 10 Hrs (or shorter if you do the NH4 route, via Amboli). Even more stunning than G'pule. MTDC only. Same budget for the land-options, but the boat options are 5k+
- Amboli, 500 odd. NH4 route is preffered. Couple of good stays here. Stunning during and post rains, but will be just about average now.
- Mahabaleshwar, 250km, NH4 via Wai. Closer. Hot during days and pleasant nights. More activities and places than Amboli, anyway.
- Up north towards Gujrat, could be avoided as it will only get hotter, and same applies to Central Maharashtra options.

Personaly, I would suggest you do one of the following:
- Mahab: Close, Nice, Will keep kids occupied with boating, horse rides, and others stuff
- G'pule: medium travel. Super beach. Total R&R. Ensure you take lots of things along to keep your kids occupied (beach stuff)
- Goa! How? Well, rather than go to Amboli (when Mahab is higher and closer), or Tarkarli (when G'pule is 99% as good and closer), I would rather push it to Goa (North). Baga Beach and the resorts therein, are (6Hrs to Nipani on NH4) and additional 3 from there to Baga. This is comparable (though slighty more than tarkarli but quicker)

Either way, have fun!
ajaiviswa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 14:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Bhandardara would be a good option. Check out my travelog at Travel magic or http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...andardara.html (Bhandardara)

Thats a well written and informative write-up Magiceye. Thanks! Checking on accomodation availibility.

Thanks Sahir for the advice. My kids continue to sleep in the car. So lack of sleep is not a concern. I normally start by around 6 but on my last trip to Anand I started at 3:20 and the difference it brought to the driving experience was amazing. No traffic for a very long time. I ensure that I don't compromise on sleep.

Hi Ajai, your suggestions and logic is bang on. Am looking on availability now. Shall let you know which place are we headed to.

Last edited by dushmish : 5th April 2009 at 14:49. Reason: Added two more responses
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 12:57   #18
BHPian

I have been to G'pule this weekend itself.
Very Good beach, clean near Konkani huts of MTDC resort. Since summer is setting now the beach gets hotter after 11 o clock till 4, In evening lots of cloud covering keeps the temperature down. Kids will have enough time in evening to enjoy the sea. Food is not good and not much of the options there. Afternoon can be spent in shades with sea view.

Online reservation displays no availability for 10-12th.
When i was planning my trip, the MTDC reservation site is displaying no availability but when i went to MTDC reception on saturday morning they have plenty of rooms available.

If you are planning to go to G'pule then start early around 4. i started at 5 from pune and reached chiplun before 9, taken breakfast from chiplun to G'pule 2 hrs.

Hope this might help you to sort your vacation.
shabahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 16:07   #19
BHPian

Man proposes, God disposes.

I armed myself with all the research on places we could go to over the long weekend that just went by. Unfortunately my elder (5 and half year old) daughter fell ill and was hospitalised on Tuesday. She is recovering but still in the hospital. The trip is postponed. Have promised her that I will take her on a good vacation once she is fine.

Hope fellow BHPians had a wonderful extended weekends. Am looking forward to reading some interesting travelogues.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Man proposes, God disposes.

I armed myself with all the research on places we could go to over the long weekend that just went by. Unfortunately my elder (5 and half year old) daughter fell ill and was hospitalised on Tuesday. She is recovering but still in the hospital. The trip is postponed. Have promised her that I will take her on a good vacation once she is fine.

Hope fellow BHPians had a wonderful extended weekends. Am looking forward to reading some interesting travelogues.
I hope she gets well soon.

take care
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 15:36   #21
BHPian

Hows your daughter doing now? Hope she gets well soon!

So in the end where have you decided to go?
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 23:41   #22
BHPian

Thanks Kavthekar and Rudraah for the wishes. My daughter's health is improving. If the recovery is fine she will be discharged on 19th of this month.

I have not decided where we will go. Will have to wait for at least one month before we step out. She needs to recuperate.
Old 25th September 2009, 18:43   #23
BHPian

Bringing this old thread to life for the long weekend starting tomorrow. Suggestions please. Need to head out of town. 500 km. Which way? What place?