Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:22   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,187
Thanked: 1,114 Times
Default Day Tripping in Mysore - Suggestion for What to do and where to stay

Hi Guys!

I am planning to take my family of 4 to Mysore this April 9th. We will drive down on April 9th or 10th morning to Mysore, spend a night there and return. What we have to do in the midst of this day - I am leaving open for you guys to make suggestions. Moreover, I would also like suggestion for a nice, decent place to stay at for the night. Nothing too extravagant considering the economic chaos.

I would definitely like to visit atleast 1 key religious place of worship for Hindu's to keep half my family at peace. I would also like to visit the Palace museum, and the Zoo to keep the other half from brawling.

I would also like suggestions for a great place to lunch, dinner, and breakfast the next morning. I would like to make this trip fun and different, as my family is visiting from SE Asia, and I would definitely like to show them a great time when here!

Please dont give me alternatives to Mysore - they want to do the Zoo + Palace thing, I need to figure out other things around this including lunch, dinner, and a place to stay.

Cheers!
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:28   #2
BHPian
 
siddartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

try the mysore sports club. its not expensive , its quiet , its old in a nice way , its on the rd which leads to lalitha mahal , used to be a lovely rd.. boulevard.

Last edited by siddartha : 3rd April 2009 at 13:30.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:29   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Hotel Siddhartha is a good place to have food (they have an A/c hall as well). Fairly priced, good taste.

Their rooms are not that great though.

I suggest hotel Ginger for a night's stay.. An a/c room may cost around Rs. 2000 for a night.

Do visit Sangam (enroute from Bangalore), Chamundi hills and ranganathittu bird sanctuary.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,187
Thanked: 1,114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
try the mysore sports club. its not expensive , its quiet , its old in a nice way , its on the rd which leads to lalitha mahal , used to be a lovely rd.. boulevard.
Thanks Sid. Mysore Sports club might be a good place to just put up for the night. I hope they allow people who dont have memberships to the club...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Hotel Siddhartha is a good place to have food (they have an A/c hall as well). Fairly priced, good taste.

Their rooms are not that great though.

I suggest hotel Ginger for a night's stay.. An a/c room may cost around Rs. 2000 for a night.

Do visit Sangam (enroute from Bangalore), Chamundi hills and ranganathittu bird sanctuary.
I would actually like a decent place to stay for the night. Would rather do food at boutique restaurants who are really known for the kind of food they serve. Any suggestions?

I will put down Sangam, Chamundi, and the Bird sanctuary and do a little more research on these points on the net.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

If you have some means of getting into the Infosys campus in mysore (friend/relative working there), that is a wonderful place!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:46   #6
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi Guys!

I would definitely like to visit atleast 1 key religious place of worship for Hindu's to keep half my family at peace. I would also like to visit the Palace museum, and the Zoo to keep the other half from brawling.

Cheers!
For this, you could either opt for the Chamundi temple atop Chamundi hills in Mysore or the Nanjundeshwara Temple at Nanjangud which is 22kms away. Also consider the Ranganatha Swamy temple in Srirangapatna which is about 16kms from Mysore. For other imporatant temples in Mysore, check out this link....Famous Temples in Mysore - Popular Temples of Mysore - Hindu Temples Mysore Karnataka

@Jeep

Cost of a double room in Ginger is 1118 per day/night

Last edited by kannan666 : 3rd April 2009 at 13:49.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:07   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

For stay, check out Dasaprakash ... Mysore DasaPrakasha Group

They have two hotels. I have stayed at Paradise and that would be my first choice if I visit Mysore again.

Additional suggestions for places to visit:
- Sriranga pattana temple and cauvery river / bathing ghat behind the temple
- nimishamba temple (near Sriranga pattana)
- railway museum
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Have heard dasprkash you get some excellet dosas?

Dont miss "Somnathpua"
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:46   #9
BHPian
 
siddartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

venky , check what clubs in bangalore where you are a member are affiliated with the mysore spots club .
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 19:22   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,187
Thanked: 1,114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
If you have some means of getting into the Infosys campus in mysore (friend/relative working there), that is a wonderful place!
Infy eh...man, I suddenly realise I hardly have any good contacts in these big ticket companies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
For this, you could either opt for the Chamundi temple atop Chamundi hills in Mysore or the Nanjundeshwara Temple at Nanjangud which is 22kms away. Also consider the Ranganatha Swamy temple in Srirangapatna which is about 16kms from Mysore. For other imporatant temples in Mysore, check out this link....Famous Temples in Mysore - Popular Temples of Mysore - Hindu Temples Mysore Karnataka

@Jeep

Cost of a double room in Ginger is 1118 per day/night
I am checking with Ginger hotels now...I will try to visit the places you mentioned - however, I might get a reprieve and escape from the temple visits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
For stay, check out Dasaprakash ... Mysore DasaPrakasha Group

They have two hotels. I have stayed at Paradise and that would be my first choice if I visit Mysore again.

Additional suggestions for places to visit:
- Sriranga pattana temple and cauvery river / bathing ghat behind the temple
- nimishamba temple (near Sriranga pattana)
- railway museum
I just got in touch with DasaPrakasha Group and here are the rates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Have heard dasprkash you get some excellet dosas?

Dont miss "Somnathpua"
Will keep an eye for the Dosas. Did you mean Somnathpura? Its a temple right? Considering my family is just getting back after a crazy temple trip these past few days, I am getting a good feeling that they would probably choose to avoid temples and hit discos instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
venky , check what clubs in bangalore where you are a member are affiliated with the mysore spots club .
I am a poor man. A poor cheap man. Hence I did not affiliate myself with any clubs. They are free to affiliate with me however
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 00:30   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Ginger hotels real VFM and you can book it online too.

regards,
-manju
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:18   #12
BHPian
 
Su-47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

I've stayed at two places in Mysore and liked both:
Dasaprakash Paradise: For its location (Yadav-giri) and phenomenal view from the room. The hotel has some sort of 80s charm and I liked that. Stay warned, the restaurant is pure veg.
Royal Orchid Brindavan Gardens: Very nice place and location (overlooking brindavan gardens), but a little far off from the city and a little expensive as well. But the rooms are really nice.

Cheers,
Su-47
Su-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:45   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,187
Thanked: 1,114 Times
Default

Update! I have gone with Ginger. 999 + taxes which works out to 1038 all inclusive. Thats a steal. Though I would have preferred one of the clubs or something where rates are like 300 bucks a room. Still, cant complain.

Since temples are out, I have decided to do the Zoo + Mysore Palace + Railway Museum (if possible). I would prefer spending maximum time at the Zoo and thus will be my first stop.

The next morning, plan to get out of Mysore early and hit Kabini for lunch and a snooze. Should be relaxing!
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:58   #14
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Update! I have gone with Ginger. 999 + taxes which works out to 1038 all inclusive. Thats a steal. Though I would have preferred one of the clubs or something where rates are like 300 bucks a room. Still, cant complain.

Since temples are out, I have decided to do the Zoo + Mysore Palace + Railway Museum (if possible). I would prefer spending maximum time at the Zoo and thus will be my first stop.

The next morning, plan to get out of Mysore early and hit Kabini for lunch and a snooze. Should be relaxing!
Good choice ! Was there last month and rooms are really VFM ! They will collect another Rs.100/- from you at the hotel towards service tax ! Have a great trip !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 12:08   #15
BHPian
 
marlinspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 193
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Update! I have gone with Ginger. 999 + taxes which works out to 1038 all inclusive. Thats a steal. Though I would have preferred one of the clubs or something where rates are like 300 bucks a room. Still, cant complain.

The next morning, plan to get out of Mysore early and hit Kabini for lunch and a snooze. Should be relaxing!
I tried ginger on the web still quotes ~Rs.1550 for a double room. Are we supposed to call and book to get the discount rates.

There is a hayagriva temple near srirangapatna parakala mutt Hayagriva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does anyone knows the route to reach there.
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need suggestion on stay at Manali Satyam Route / Travel Queries 82 4th December 2016 14:32
Travelling to Kodaikannal, Need suggestion on STAY !! jango Route / Travel Queries 10 16th November 2009 09:38
Need suggestion for hotel stay in Hassan dadu Route / Travel Queries 9 17th November 2008 13:31
Suggestion needed for a day stay at Kalahasti. ramki067 Route / Travel Queries 8 17th January 2008 00:48
JBL 75.4 tripping over a GTO1204 sub amitverma In-Car Entertainment 22 8th September 2006 21:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks