Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 14:48   #1
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 492
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Need Help in planning a Heritage Trip near Hassan

I plan to go on a heritage trip seeing Shravanabelagola, Belur and Helebid some time next month. I will be driving in a Safari from chennai. I would halt in Bangalore for overnight. Any ideas on the best route, decent hotels in Hassan (I understand it would be best to stay in a city nearby - hence the choice of Hassan) ?

Is there any nearby hill resorts nearby ?

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Thanks for all inputs.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 16:40   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 789 Times
Default

Check my travelogue here . You could extend your trip to Chikmagalur further on and I have documented about the route too.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 16:58   #3
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

There is Hoysala Village Resort about 5kms from Hassan on the Belur road. Go through fellow T-Bhpians travelogue, very informative - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-temples.html
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 17:45   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

You have not specified the number of days you want the trip to be. Shravanabelagola, Belur and Halebid can easily be covered in day from Bangalore.

The route can be

Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hirisave-Sharavanabelagola-Channarayapatna-Hassan-Belur-Halebid-either Hassan or Chikmagalur

You can either stay in Hassan or Chikmagalur. Roads are good for the above route.

Bangalore to Kunigal can be done via magadi to avoid the chaotic Nelamangala road. The road is very good and there will be very little traffic.

Time taken
Blr-Shravanbelagola = 2.5 hrs
Shravanbelagola-Hassan = 1 hr
Hassan-Belur = 1 hr or Hassan-Halebid = 50 min
Belur-Halebid = 20 to 30 min
Belur-Chikmagalur = 30 min max

There are good hotels in Hassan if you want to stay there.

1. Hotel Hassan Ashok, BM Road Hassan
2. Hotel Southern Star, sampige Road Hassan
3. Hotel Sri krishna, BM Road, Hassan
4. Hotel Suvarna Regency, BM Road Hassan

There is also a resort called Hoysala Village resort on the way to Belur from Hassan. I would suggest the options 1 or 2 or the resort for your stay.

If you plan to go to Chikmagalur, You can stay in the Planter's Court or in the Taj Garden Retreat.

For Hill resorts you have to go Chikmagalur. There are a lot of homestays around Chikmagalur.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 12:49   #5
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 492
Thanked: 279 Times
Default

Wow. Great guys. You people rock. Thanks a lot.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 10:57   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
There are good hotels in Hassan if you want to stay there.

1. Hotel Hassan Ashok, BM Road Hassan
2. Hotel Southern Star, sampige Road Hassan
3. Hotel Sri krishna, BM Road, Hassan
4. Hotel Suvarna Regency, BM Road Hassan

There is also a resort called Hoysala Village resort on the way to Belur from Hassan. I would suggest the options 1 or 2 or the resort for your stay.

If you plan to go to Chikmagalur, You can stay in the Planter's Court or in the Taj Garden Retreat.

For Hill resorts you have to go Chikmagalur. There are a lot of homestays around Chikmagalur.
Rightly said addy,
the mentioned hotel are good.
If you are planning to have lunch at Hoysala resort Do try Malnad cusines , it's good over there.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 14:04   #7
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 492
Thanked: 279 Times
Default

Few more questions:

Thanks addyhemmige for the detailed answer. I want to cover the whole trip in about 5,6 days.

How is the road to chikmagalur ? Is it a narrow ghat road ? I have had some tense moments last time I went to Nilgiris and Moonar. The roads were too narrow and you have to try hard to look for a broad expanse of road to allow the oncoming vehicle to pass.

I can't talk much of Kannada, tulu or Konkani. Will I able to manage with English or Hindi ?

These Homestays in Chikmagalur - How do I approach them ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks again
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 23:37   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Few more questions:

Thanks addyhemmige for the detailed answer. I want to cover the whole trip in about 5,6 days.

How is the road to chikmagalur ? Is it a narrow ghat road ? I have had some tense moments last time I went to Nilgiris and Moonar. The roads were too narrow and you have to try hard to look for a broad expanse of road to allow the oncoming vehicle to pass.

I can't talk much of Kannada, tulu or Konkani. Will I able to manage with English or Hindi ?

These Homestays in Chikmagalur - How do I approach them ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks again
Thanks man....

The road from Hassan to Chikmagalur is a dream to drive on. You can cover the distance in an hour easily. The road is wide and has long straights. But after Chikmagalur, the hilly region starts and and the roads are narrower. I think you can manage two way traffic on these roads provided you get off the shoulder of the road.

The road right from Bangalore to Chikmagalur has adquate sign boards, so no need for asking any directions. Just get the name of the next city or town and look for that name on the sign boards. This should not be a problem until Chikmagalur.

Check out ATHITHI :: Home stay at chickmaglur, it is a homestay run by my friend. This is the only place I know. There are plenty of homestays around Chikmagalur. Maybe other members will let you know.

Cheers!!
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 13:29   #9
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 492
Thanked: 279 Times
Default

Thanks again addyhemmige. You have been very helpful. I will check out the Athithi Homestay when I am there.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 10:58   #10
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 492
Thanked: 279 Times
Default

I have to make the final preparations now before I start on June. I will have to cross Bangalore on my way to Hassan. It takes about 4 hours from Madras to Bangalore on the GQT. The question is can I bypass Bangalore city ? Going through Bangalore city will take up at least a couple of hours (Hosur traffic Jam and elsewhere).

Addyhemmige - My Friend or others - Can someone please throw some light ?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:33   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have to make the final preparations now before I start on June. I will have to cross Bangalore on my way to Hassan. It takes about 4 hours from Madras to Bangalore on the GQT. The question is can I bypass Bangalore city ? Going through Bangalore city will take up at least a couple of hours (Hosur traffic Jam and elsewhere).

Addyhemmige - My Friend or others - Can someone please throw some light ?
After Hosur, continue straight till Electronic City. Just after Electronic City you will reach the NICE road. Take a left towards Mysore Road-Magadi Road. You have to pay toll here. Buy toll ticket till Magadi road. This is an expressway and acts as a by-pass to Bangalore City. You may have to get off the expressway at Bannerghatta Road and rejoin the same a little bit further. However, there should be signboards indicating directions otherwise you may have to ask for directions locally. I have not been on that road ever since they started collecting toll, they have improved the entry & exit roads to the expresway now.

When you reach Magadi Road exit (you have to take a left u-turn), take a right on magadi road and continue towards Magadi & from there to Kunigal. You will reach NH48 near Kunigal.

Note: There are no signboards until Kunigal, but the route is quite straightforward.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:38   #12
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 492
Thanked: 279 Times
Default

All right Addyhemmige. I owe you one. Thanks a Lot My Friend.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 17:29   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
All right Addyhemmige. I owe you one. Thanks a Lot My Friend.
Anytime dear Prowler
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trip to Hornadu via Hassan & Sringeri skandyhere Route / Travel Queries 2 24th October 2013 23:50
Toll near Bellur cross on BLR - Hassan road iridium Street Experiences 15 10th March 2013 23:39
Need help to Travel from Hassan to Coorg Archish Route / Travel Queries 8 1st June 2010 08:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks