Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 23:27   #316
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,045
Thanked: 6,141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Thanks Jeroen. Now I will be lugging along all my luggage throughout my trip. Will the baggage policy of, say, Ryan Air match up what BA or Emitares will offer internationally? Can I carry 30 kgs + hand luggage for each traveller? Thanks

You vetter check the website of each carrier as it might differ quite a bit
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 23:57   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 30
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Friends,

However, one question that struck me(upon browsing Switzerland Tourism sites) is whether May II half is the right time to vacation in the UK, Scotland, Paris and Switzerland? I hear much of Suisse will be off-season and in closed-down mode that time of the year? Can you please help me here?
Hi,

I think your timing is fine. . Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis are open by then as I had visited (many yrs back) during the same time. However please do bear in mind that summer wouldn't have set in as yet so it will be still be pretty chilly at that time, so if that's a factor you may need to re-look at your dates. The good part about May is since its not yet peak season you will have lesser crowds and maybe even strike better deals. Go for it if the above are acceptable.
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 13:39   #318
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,687
Thanked: 2,735 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need Feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Thanks Jeroen. Now I will be lugging along all my luggage throughout my trip. Will the baggage policy of, say, Ryan Air match up what BA or Emitares will offer internationally? Can I carry 30 kgs + hand luggage for each traveller? Thanks
Most regional airlines have three categories of fares: without any checkin baggage allowance, one with about one bag, and the other with two. If not exactly the same, on similar lines.

So, you'll just end up buying the higher fare; often double of the lowest fare.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 15:38   #319
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need Feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Can I carry 30 kgs + hand luggage for each traveller? Thanks
No. It is like 15 kg checked in per person. That's my personal experience on flying Lufthansa and Air France on flying domestic in Europe. Emirates is an exception with 30 kg baggage allowance on international (35 kg if you are flying Economy Flex Plus). Lufthansa allows only 23 kg/ per person.

I remember Air France allowing purchase of additional luggage at the time of buying the tickets.

I assume, part of the additional luggage would be to get ready to eat stuff. Which I'd suggest to buy it after landing. It doesn't make sense to pay 150 on extra luggage for what should be < 30 expense if you buy it here.

Also I won't suggest Ryan Air. For 1. With luggage you'll probably pay on par with other airline fares. 2. They fly to very odd airports with very less facilities to transit. Couple of examples to quote are BVA (aka Paris-Beauvais Airport is 110 km from Paris) and HHN (aka Frankfurt-Hahn is 126 km from Frankfurt city). Consider it, only if you are planning to drive.

Quote:
However please do bear in mind that summer wouldn't have set in as yet so it will be still be pretty chilly at that time, so if that's a factor you may need to re-look at your dates.
He mentioned 13 year old son. So Indian school holidays might be his only choice. Its actually good in the plains with the sun out, temperatures would be in low to high teens. Gets colder only when you go to higher elevations or early mornings/late evenings.

Infact Spring is the best time to visit Europe. It isn't cold, it isn't too hot either (can get to low 40s). Lesser crowds all around. Cheaper flights and places to stay. Visiting in Summer (July/August) is like going in rush hour traffic paying sky high expenses everywhere.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 17:29   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,187
Thanked: 2,873 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Now I will be lugging along all my luggage throughout my trip. Will the baggage policy of, say, Ryan Air match up what BA or Emitares will offer internationally? Can I carry 30 kgs + hand luggage for each traveller?
Depends on the class which you are traveling, about 22 Kg. for Economy, 30 Kg. for Business. You may carry extra if you are a frequent member of airlines based on your status. If the ticket is issued under one PNR, then Yes you should get benefits of original carrier, but if you have booked directly with Ryan for travel within Europe then conditions of Ryan will be applicable which is mostly little or no baggage. Better you avoid Ryan or carry light. They may charge twice extra or more if you are over 22 Kg.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th December 2016 at 17:36.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 19:16   #321
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Depends on the class which you are traveling, about 22 Kg. for Economy, 30 Kg. for Business. You may carry extra if you are a frequent member of airlines based on your status. If the ticket is issued under one PNR, then Yes you should get benefits of original carrier, but if you have booked directly with Ryan for travel within Europe then conditions of Ryan will be applicable which is mostly little or no baggage.
I'd be surprised Ryan Air has partnered with any international players. They hardly have an overlap in terms of airports with them. They always fly from that 'unknown-airport-you-knew-existed' for a given city Their booking site too restricts the Source and Destinations only to where they fly. Same theory goes to EasyJet as well.

For Economy, all Euro players allow 23 kg for both India-EU (and USA/Canada) (happened to travel when they reduced the limit from 30 to 23 in winter of 2010-11). Emirates alone allows 30 kg (Economy Saver), 35 on Economy Flex and 40 on Businesss. The per piece limit in Emirates is 30 kg. So if you are travelling Economy Flex or Business you'll have to carry as 2 pieces.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 21:33   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,218
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
For Economy, all Euro players allow 23 kg for both India-EU (and USA/Canada) (happened to travel when they reduced the limit from 30 to 23 in winter of 2010-11). Emirates alone allows 30 kg (Economy Saver), 35 on Economy Flex and 40 on Businesss. The per piece limit in Emirates is 30 kg. So if you are travelling Economy Flex or Business you'll have to carry as 2 pieces.
Emirates allows 30 in Economy flex as well. Business has 40 and First 50. I usually book myself in Economy flex and I have never got a 35kg limit, though they do allow ~31kgs. Beyond that, I have been charged 30EUR per kilo at the time of baggage drop off. The only plus side is that you can carry around 10-15kilos to the cabin and as long as it is not too bulky no weight restrictions apply.

Qatar airways offers 45kg limit to certain destinations like Frankfurt on Economy fares(except some special fares).

Most of the local airlines like Eurowings etc have a 22-23kg limit and hence its best advisable to carry the same amount in the international leg as well, if not then one should be able to store it somewhere if they are returning to the same place before travelling back.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 22:14   #323
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Emirates allows 30 in Economy flex as well. Business has 40 and First 50. I usually book myself in Economy flex and I have never got a 35kg limit, though they do allow ~31kgs.
I flew in and out in August 2016. I have the E-Ticket (booked in the official site in July) that mentions the baggage allowance per leg to be 35 kg. I did actually checkin 35 on the return leg, though I was asked to split into 2 pieces at the counter.

I can post a screenshot if you are interested

I too was surprised when I booked. The previous attempts in Economy Saver allowed 30.

The official Emirates Checked Baggage page does confirm what you say.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 21:32   #324
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 327 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Friends,

I am drawing up a plan based on inputs provided by our colleagues. However, one question that struck me(upon browsing Switzerland Tourism sites) is whether May II half is the right time to vacation in the UK, Scotland, Paris and Switzerland? I hear much of Suisse will be off-season and in closed-down mode that time of the year? Can you please help me here? I am trying to align with my kid's school hols. 2 weeks in, say, Dec may be difficult without having to take a few days off school which I want to avoid. Thanks
IInd half of May should be perfectly fine. We did Germany/Slovenia/Croatia/Italy/Switzerland around the same time 3 years back. Weather played out beautifully. Will be bright/sunny and nippy in a nice way. I would suggest to go around grindelwald (dont miss schilthorn), lauterbrunnen, and luzern. Staying in Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen will give absolute village life experience of swiss. You can check out in air b&b. Weatherwise, I am not sure of UK. It could rain. Hope this helps.
vijayols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:53   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,673
Thanked: 2,060 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
I am drawing up a plan based on inputs provided by our colleagues. However, one question that struck me(upon browsing Switzerland Tourism sites) is whether May II half is the right time to vacation in the UK, Scotland, Paris and Switzerland?
May/ June would be rainy and likelier to be cold. Paris is relatively empty in August as most locals take their summer holidays to go elsewhere. But it could mean that other places in Europe would be more expensive as would be travel.

May/ June would mean bright green grass. August/ September could mean drier grass assuming a dry summer. I know it sounds odd but depends what you want to do (only sights or other activities too)
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:09   #326
BHPian
 
Uprasenjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: WB26T
Posts: 152
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Sorry was out of town so couldnt check this thread, if this travel has not happened yet I can help you in anything in the UK regarding planning road trips, hotels, places, trains, buses etc.

Let me know.
Uprasenjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 21:39   #327
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Thanks Prasenjit. Will definitely do so.
HighwayBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 21:45   #328
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Friends, I am a bit confused right now. :-)

For me, I want this to be a once-in-a-lifetime Europe vacation for my family. So If I go to a place X, I want to go there when it is in all its glory. I am ok to travel anytime after 21 April, until June 4th 2017 and I am looking for a full 12 day vacation(excluding to and fro travel from Chennai).

My confusion is this - should I target London(2 days), Edinburgh+Glasgow(4 days), Paris(2 days), Switzerland(3 days) and back to London for shopping(1 day) ?
Or should I target - London(2 days), Edinburgh+Glasgow(4 days), Rome+Vatican(2 days), Switzerland(3 days) and back to London for shopping(1 day) ?
Or London(2 days), Edinburgh+Glasgow(3 days), Paris(1 day), Switzerland(3 days), Rome+Vatican(1 day) and back to London for shopping(1 day) ?

Please advise. Also should I target to go in April, so that I can go to Switzerland (transit via London) first to see a bit of snow before it melts and then do the rest of the cities?

Thanks
HighwayBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 22:17   #329
BHPian
 
Uprasenjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: WB26T
Posts: 152
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Friends, I am a bit confused right now. :-)

For me, I want this to be a once-in-a-lifetime Europe vacation for my family. So If I go to a place X, I want to go there when it is in all its glory. I am ok to travel anytime after 21 April, until June 4th 2017 and I am looking for a full 12 day vacation(excluding to and fro travel from Chennai).

My confusion is this - should I target London(2 days), Edinburgh+Glasgow(4 days), Paris(2 days), Switzerland(3 days) and back to London for shopping(1 day) ?
Or should I target - London(2 days), Edinburgh+Glasgow(4 days), Rome+Vatican(2 days), Switzerland(3 days) and back to London for shopping(1 day) ?
Or London(2 days), Edinburgh+Glasgow(3 days), Paris(1 day), Switzerland(3 days), Rome+Vatican(1 day) and back to London for shopping(1 day) ?

Please advise. Also should I target to go in April, so that I can go to Switzerland (transit via London) first to see a bit of snow before it melts and then do the rest of the cities?

Thanks
If I were you and days weren't any constraint I would spend min 2-3 days in every country you mentioned. Believe me even 3 days is less to visit the top priority tourist attractions.

However if shopping is one of the main targets then visit London in the end. Going back to the same place for shopping doesnt make sense and waste of money. Walk from Tottenham court road toward Oxford circus for shopping.

Please keep in mind theres Brexit coming from next financial year.
Uprasenjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 22:53   #330
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
If I were you and days weren't any constraint I would spend min 2-3 days in every country you mentioned. Believe me even 3 days is less to visit the top priority tourist attractions.

However if shopping is one of the main targets then visit London in the end. Going back to the same place for shopping doesnt make sense and waste of money. Walk from Tottenham court road toward Oxford circus for shopping.

Please keep in mind theres Brexit coming from next financial year.
Thanks. In Paris, I am not that interested in the museums and so I am guessing 1 day to do the Eiffel + river ride + Champs Elysees will do. Is thjis right?

Same for Rome - I am told major Rome attractions + Vatican can be done in one day?

Also, what are the implications of "Please keep in mind theres Brexit coming from next financial year."? Thanks
HighwayBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice : Travelling to China naveen.raju Route / Travel Queries 22 24th January 2017 14:44
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe mentalmaxout Travelogues 77 15th April 2016 22:16
Hyderabad BHPians - Pls advice - Travelling to Hyderabad on 24th April roadracer Shifting gears 9 20th April 2010 14:56
Travelling from Hyderabad to Chennai, Need No Objection Certificate? Swordfish Shifting gears 17 17th February 2010 15:29
Travelling to Kodaikannal, Need suggestion on STAY !! jango Route / Travel Queries 10 16th November 2009 09:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks