Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th June 2017, 17:47   #421
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
The plan in Swiss is to reach Interlaken, spend 2 days, move to Lucerne, spend 2 days, and then return. But haven't planned my point of exit from Europe. Munich would be good, after visiting Rhine falls? Or a train journey to Austria?
Interlaken is like being in the middle of Switzerland. Shift your base only if you wish to cover the places which are in extreme corners else its good for 4 days also. What all are you planning to cover there?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 18:09   #422
BHPian

Quote:
I've heard they have SRK's poster as well at the top.
Yup. They have a cut out of both SRK and Kajol. And you can put your head in between the cutout and take a pic!
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 18:10   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Interlaken is like being in the middle of Switzerland. Shift your base only if you wish to cover the places which are in extreme corners else its good for 4 days also. What all are you planning to cover there?
I've no idea at the moment, to be honest. We plan to cover Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Titlis, and maybe take a train ride to see some sights, Lucerne and/ or Zurich. But I haven't drawn down the specifics yet.

We are not adventurous and don't have hiking in mind; so the popular bucket list items it will be.

When you say Interlaken is good for 4 days, how do you suggest that we commute? Will public transport be available for places like Jungfrau and Titlis?
Nonstop-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 18:24   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you say Interlaken is good for 4 days, how do you suggest that we commute? Will public transport be available for places like Jungfrau and Titlis?
If you stick to the typical tourist spots, you can get a train to take you everywhere. In fact then a train would be preferred over a car. However, if you are the kind who'd get your own chalet and do some driving & exploring then maybe get a rental car.

I personally did not enjoy Jungfrau as much as I did Eggishorn. Spiez for example is a much more beautiful small town compared to even Zurich or Zermatt.

Go on the Switzerland tourism website, sit with your wife/kids and figure out the places that excite you the most and then start planning the itinerary.

Many like Jungfrau and go there but I think its one of the most overrated things in Switzerland after Zurich. I'm forgetting the name of the place but its also called the Grand Canyon of Switzerland. Now THOSE are the kind of places you'd want to spend a day at. Not to mention, the road that takes you there, you'd see some views that are THE BEST of Switzerland, case in point, the below pic.

Travelling to Europe. Need advice-10317687_10205701251550131_1032706215291826054_o.jpg
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 19:51   #425
BHPian

Jungfrau and Titlis can be easily covered by public transport from Interlaken.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 21:55   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've no idea at the moment, to be honest. We plan to cover Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Titlis, and maybe take a train ride to see some sights, Lucerne and/ or Zurich. But I haven't drawn down the specifics yet.

We are not adventurous and don't have hiking in mind; so the popular bucket list items it will be.

Once you're at Interlaken, take the train to Jungfrau. You can do Jungfrauhoch and Trummelbach falls in one day.

Interlaken - Jungfrau takes about three hours one way. So, effectively, that day is take up.

* Check at Interlaken and Lucerne if Jungfrau/Titlis are open before you board the train. Often, due to immense cloud cover, these two mountains are closed

I'd suggest this :

Day 1: Interlaken - Jungfrau - Trummelbach - Grindelwald (exceptionally beautiful place, that is the first stop on the train)

Day 2: Grindelwald - Interlaken - cruise on Lake Thun/Brienz - Lucerne

Day 3: Lucerne - Titlis - Zurich

Day 4: Zurich

Public transport is available by the minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm forgetting the name of the place but its also called the Grand Canyon of Switzerland. Now THOSE are the kind of places you'd want to spend a day at.
Is this a town off Bern? Montreux?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 13:14   #427
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Guys i would traveling to Austria, Hungry and Czech Republic this coming weekend.

Could anyone suggest any good mobile service provider that can be used in all three countries without issues? My major requirement is Data as i should be able to check things online when in need. Not much bothered about voice calls as i hardly call.

Thanks.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 15:39   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Could anyone suggest any good mobile service provider that can be used in all three countries without issues? My major requirement is Data as i should be able to check things online when in need. Not much bothered about voice calls as i hardly call.

As per the 15th of June all roaming charges in the eu are dropped. So at least from a cost point of view that is a big improvement. Your carrier will only be allowed to charge the same tariff for voice, data txt whilst roaming in the eu as the local cost would be.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 11:45   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Public transport is efficient and available for these places.

Do keep in mind that if you like to have good views from the top, try to leave early in the day. as early as 6am if you can.

As someone mentioned, Interlaken is a fantastic base location for Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen valley, Mt. Schilthorn, Trummelbach falls, both the lakes and many other not-so-high points which have way better views. In my opinion, the higher you go, the less you see

Mt. Titlis is nearer from Lucerne I think. So is Mt. Pilatus. when in Lucerne, do not miss the Transport museum.
If you are in Zurich, the zoo is quite nice.

Munich has the olympic stadium, the bmw museum, a nice city centre and a lot of noise during oktoberfest (not sure when you plan to go!)
Fuessen (with the two castles and nice paragliding opportunities at Tegelberg) should be around an hour away.
An hour away from Munich in a slightly different direction; Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a quaint little town at the base of Zugspitze; the highest peak in Germany. On the other side of Zugspitze, you have Austria..
There is always a lot to see

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th June 2017 at 11:48.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 12:11   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Shifu for the tip, we had similar lessons at Universal Studios @ Singapore.

Titlis is there in the itinerary, guess I didn't mention it separately.

For the tourist part, I think Yash Chopra is to be blamed! I've heard they have SRK's poster as well at the top.
I just returned from Universal Studios Florida and Disneyworld Florida- Having been to Universal Studios Singapore last December, my kids wanted to visit the American one, and I promised them we'd !

I felt that that the Magic Kingdom park from the Disneyworld family is just for kids and there isn't much that entices you there- it didn't even have refill fountains which Universal Studios Florida did (if you purchase a Coke bottle for US$21, you can do unlimited refill across the park).

I made a mistake of visiting the Universal Studios Florida instead of the nearby Universal Studios Islands of Adventure which I hear (from both TripAdvisor and friends) had exhilarating rides. The Universal Studios Florida had almost 30% rides as similar in Sentosa, so I'd advise to give this as pass should you have to decide between the Universal Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida.

The weather in Orlando was hot and muggy with some tropical showers, and we felt we were back in Kerala itself
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 12:17   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Btw, I was surprised to see that Swiss is full of us (Indians). All over the tourist spots you would spot only us, and Chinese. In hundreds, and thousands. And the restaurants in Jungfrau have menu in Hindi!
Interestingly, I remember seeing a note attached to one of those viewing binoculars where you have to insert coins. 'Please do not insert other currencies such as...'
Any guesses which was the first currency listed?!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 17:58   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'd suggest this :
Day 1: Interlaken - Jungfrau - Trummelbach - Grindelwald (exceptionally beautiful place, that is the first stop on the train)
Day 2: Grindelwald - Interlaken - cruise on Lake Thun/Brienz - Lucerne
Day 3: Lucerne - Titlis - Zurich
Day 4: Zurich

Public transport is available by the minute.
Thank you. Are these trains in round trips or we'll have to stay overnight at different cities on 3/4 of days?

Small change in itinerary, now looking to do something like this :

22nd Sep - Land in London at 8am local time. Rest at hotel and go for a night tour (some custom tour available off viator, maybe?)

23rd Sep - Take the hop-on-hop-off ticket and visit London Eye, Buckingham palace, Trafalgar square the museum.
Take an evening Eurostar train to Paris.
Will this be possible? Am I missing something?

24th Sep - Visit Louvre + Effiel. We are not into art and museum so we don't expect to spend a lot of time at Louvre. Take a night Paris illumination tour.

25th Sep - Visit Disneyland. I'm allocating the entire day to Disneyland park and studios.

26th Sep - Paris to Switzerland. (Geneva?)

Then follow the quoted plan.

The plan is fly out of Zurich on 01st October with a morning flight.

My primary questions on this itinerary are:
1. Should we spend another day in London and/ or Paris? What can be done on that day?
2. Can I take the Golden pass train to cover the Swiss leg? Golden pass takes us to Interlaken from Geneva.

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 28th June 2017 at 18:03.
Nonstop-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 18:45   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Should we spend another day in London and/ or Paris? What can be done on that day?
It really depends what you would like to do and see. My wife and me spend 14 days in London last summer. And we are going back this year because we still havent seen and done it all.

Just the museum alone can keep you occupied for weeks! Maybe you would enjoy a nice west-end show? A day trip with the ferry to Greenwich is very nice.

When I look at your itinerary you will be on the move constantly. Thatís fine if thatís what you like. But speaking for myself, I could easily and happily spend at least several days in the cities you will be passing through.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:49   #434
BHPian

Hello guys,

Iíll be visiting Europe in July end and get back to India by August end. My itinerary goes like:

July 28th Ė Fly from Trivandrum Ė Mumbai Ė Istanbul Ė Brussels
July 29-Aug 8 Ė Music camp at Ostend, Belgium
Aug 9 Ė head to Thallichtenberg (near Kusel)
Aug 10 Ė 19 Ė Music camp at Castle Lichtenberg (Thallichtenberg)
Return flight from Brussels on 27th August 11 AM

As you can see, the only time free is from August 19 to August 26. I have a friend in Cologne and also know a couple of people in Berlin. I wish to:

1. Stay in Cologne for a day or two (say 19 & 20)
2. Stay in Berlin for three of days (21, 22, 23)
3. Visit Salzburg & Munich (24,25)
4. Roam around Brussels/ Antwerp (26)
5. Board flight on 27th morning

I will be staying with my friend in Cologne whereas on all the other days I will have to rent rooms. In order to give a background, Iím a musician and also a (student) architect (just waiting for my final certificate) with an extremely tight budget in hand. I do not mind Youth Hostels for accommodation. And Iím fully a vegetarian so I was also a little worried about the food part. So my queries are:

1. For the gap of Aug 19 to 27th, are the things I have in mind okay? Any suggestions?

2. Are there any other places that I should consider other than the ones Iíve listed? I would love to visit cities like Paris, Zurich, Vienna, etc as I would be spending my Camp days in pretty scenic locations.

3. I still havenít found a suitable means to travel from Thallichtenberg or Kusel to Cologne. The trains and buses need multiple changeovers. Any insight on that?

Thanks in advance
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 12:45   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
1. For the gap of Aug 19 to 27th, are the things I have in mind okay? Any suggestions?
Berlin is a must-visit and needs at least 3 days to cover the city, especially if you're interested in history and the party scene. 2 days for Salzburg and Munich seems very less and you'll spend a lot of time in travelling. You could rather do something like Cologne -> Berlin -> Hamburg/Amsterdam -> Brussels. Take night buses on the long segments, will help you save hostel costs for that day. Check bus fares on sites like checkmybus, goeuro. Go for walking tours in each city, that's the best way to explore IMHO.

Quote:
3. I still havenít found a suitable means to travel from Thallichtenberg or Kusel to Cologne. The trains and buses need multiple changeovers. Any insight on that?
Try blablacar.
prateekm is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote