Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th April 2009, 10:06   #1
BHPian

Default Need directions to Vizianagaram

Hi friends,

I will be driving to Vizianagaram towards end of May. I looked at the driving directions in Google Maps, and here is the route it had suggested me:
Bangalore -> Kolar -> Madanapalle -> Rayachoti -> Cuddapah -> Kani Giri -> Ongole -> Guntur -> Vijayawada -> Eluru -> Rajahmundry -> Tuni -> Anakapalle -> Vizianagaram.

By this route, the destination is about 1060 kms from Bangalore. Not sure if this is the best option as I would be driving about 390 kms on state highways.

The other option I see is to take the following route:
Bangalore -> Kolar ->Tirupati -> Nellore -> Kavali -> Ongole -> Guntur -> Vijayawada -> Eluru -> Rajahmundry -> Tuni -> Anakapalle -> Vizianagaram.
I am not sure how much more I would be driving if I choose to take this option. In this option, starting from Tirupati, I would be on NH-5 all along.

So, please advise which would be a better option.

Cheers,
Muralisk
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 11:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
The other option I see is to take the following route:
Bangalore -> Kolar ->Tirupati -> Nellore -> Kavali -> Ongole -> Guntur -> Vijayawada -> Eluru -> Rajahmundry -> Tuni -> Anakapalle -> Vizianagaram.
This is the route. There is no other route which can give you better comforts.

You can bypass Tirupati and Renigunta via SH61 and reach Nayudupeta directly.
Blr - Kolar - Chittoor (left turn immediately after FoodExpress restaurant) - Putalapattu (take right on SH61) - Nayudupeta (take left at T junction here, after a few kms and on kachha road you will cross a Railway crossing and onto NH5(GQ))

If you are comfortable with night drives then start from bangalore at 2/3PM and reach Vizianagaram by lunch (or may be breakfast as well) the next day.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 11:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

You can bypass Tirupati and Renigunta via SH61 and reach Nayudupeta directly.
Blr - Kolar - Chittoor (left turn immediately after FoodExpress restaurant) - Putalapattu (take right on SH61) - Nayudupeta (take left at T junction here, after a few kms and on kachha road you will cross a Railway crossing and onto NH5(GQ))

Abhi
Thanks Abhi. I will go with this option and yes, I am comfortable with night driving and I usually leave home at 4:00 am whenever I drive to Hyderabad. So, I can push it by another hour or so and make it as early as possible to Vizianagaram.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Friends of mine recently drove from Blr to Kol on their sumo and have assured me that the NH5 after Tirupati the best route.
Drove from Blr to Tirupati last October and was not terribly impressed with some sectors. I think it has improved now. In any case, you should have no problems if you start early. 4AM is good. The guys who drove Blr-Kol are very particular about driving only between 4 am and 7 pm. Would not suggest leaving earlier than that.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 14:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
The guys who drove Blr-Kol are very particular about driving only between 4 am and 7 pm. Would not suggest leaving earlier than that.
Thanks Roy. I would keep that in mind.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:24   #6
BHPian

I have travelled on BLR- Vizag about 8 times in last 5 years. The route which has got good roads and can be covered fast is as below

BLR-Kolar-Mulbagal-Chitoor(Bypass)-Tirupathi(Bypass)--Naidupeta-Nellore-Ongole-Guntur-Vijayawada-Eluru-Tanuku-Rajahmundry-Ankapalle-Vizag-Anandapuram-Rajapulova-Vizainagaram

The road till Chitoor need to be watched due to fourlaning between Bangalore and Mulbagal (100Kms), very bad road condition of Chitoor Bypass ( 15 kms). The road from Chitoor to Naidupeta is SH which is maintained in excellent condition. You would get onto NH5 at Naidupeta and it is Golden Quadrilateral till Vizag and Rajapulova ( you get off the NH5 and get onto Nh47). Vizainagaram is 18 kms from Rajapulova.

Alternatively you can reduce the distance by 80 Kms by taking the following deviations

Eluru-Kovuru-Rajahmundry instead of Eluru-Tanuku-Rajahamundry (Saving of 50 kms). This is a 2 lane road with heavy traffic in last 20 kms before Kovvur.

Ankapalle- Pendurthi- Anandapuram instead of Ankapalle-Vizag-Anandapuram. (saving of 25-30 kms). However most of the HGV trafiic goes on this route and it is two lane.
sureshurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 17:19   #7
BHPian

Thanks Suresh. This information will help me a lot. Based on what ground I cover, I shall either take the deviation or stick to NH5.
Old 25th April 2009, 19:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Murali, If you want to leave early morning then I would suggest you to start from Bangalore by 5AM. This is because of road is in contruction mode and you will face heavy incoming bus traffic if you start before 5AM.
In that case you can reach Vizianagaram before midnight. Another thing to remember is never enter Vizag between 5PM - 8PM (you will surely loose 2 hours crossing Vizag), I suffered that during my Blr - Kol drive and lost good 1.5 hours inside Vizag.

Abhi
Old 25th April 2009, 23:13   #9
rkg
Senior - BHPian

avoid chittor bypass. just go through the town. it is shorter and better. bypass is more than 4km and one has to go @ around 30kmph only. we regularly travel in this section. recently went in jan, 2009. esp if you are starting at 5Am you will be reaching chittor by 9 pm not much rush will be there at that hour
do not try eleru-kovvuru section. i tried in jan 2009. last few km is bad and it goes through town over old bridge (rail road ) over godavari. you will loose lot of time.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 07:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
avoid chittor bypass. just go through the town. it is shorter and better. bypass is more than 4km and one has to go @ around 30kmph only. we regularly travel in this section. recently went in jan, 2009. esp if you are starting at 5Am you will be reaching chittor by 9 pm not much rush will be there at that hour
do not try eleru-kovvuru section. i tried in jan 2009. last few km is bad and it goes through town over old bridge (rail road ) over godavari. you will loose lot of time.
Rkg, some confusion there. Which Chittoor BP are you talking? I recently went to Tirupati and the road was empty, broad and fast. I am not talking of the BP which goes to Chennai.
For Tirupati you need to take a left after FoodExpress/IOC pump (there is some road construction happening at the entrance). Once you enter it (it pass through Baans Restaurant) hardly takes time to hit NH24. There is nowhere you need to enter Chittoor town.

Abhi
Old 26th April 2009, 12:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Murali, If you want to leave early morning then I would suggest you to start from Bangalore by 5AM. This is because of road is in contruction mode and you will face heavy incoming bus traffic if you start before 5AM.
In that case you can reach Vizianagaram before midnight. Another thing to remember is never enter Vizag between 5PM - 8PM (you will surely loose 2 hours crossing Vizag), I suffered that during my Blr - Kol drive and lost good 1.5 hours inside Vizag.

Abhi
I normally start at 6.00 AM from Bangalore and reach Vizag by 9.00 PM. The indicative timings at key places is as below

Blr - 6.00 AM
Tirupathi - 10.00 AM . Breakfast at Tirupathi and start at 10.30 AM
Naidupeta - 11.00 AM
Vijayawada - 3.00 PM . (Lunch at Gateway or quality Inn) and depart at 4.00 PM
Vizag - 9.00 PM
sureshurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 11:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Abhi
Sure akroy. I shall try to leave around 5 am. And I see there is no need to enter Vizag to reach Vizianagaram as there seems to be a bypass using which I can avoid Vizag city traffic. However, on my way back, I am planning to come through Vizag as I want to drive along the coast line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I normally start at 6.00 AM from Bangalore and reach Vizag by 9.00 PM. The indicative timings at key places is as below

Blr - 6.00 AM
Tirupathi - 10.00 AM . Breakfast at Tirupathi and start at 10.30 AM
Naidupeta - 11.00 AM
Vijayawada - 3.00 PM . (Lunch at Gateway or quality Inn) and depart at 4.00 PM
Vizag - 9.00 PM
Thanks Suresh for the information.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Sure akroy. I shall try to leave around 5 am. And I see there is no need to enter Vizag to reach Vizianagaram as there seems to be a bypass using which I can avoid Vizag city traffic. However, on my way back, I am planning to come through Vizag as I want to drive along the coast line.
Avoiding Vizag on the onward journey is a good idea. As someone pointed out, branch off left just at a T junction at the end of Anakapalli bypass---right continues to Vizag on NH5, and left takes you to Anakapalli town. After 2 kms or so,, when the road sharply turns left, there is a turning to the right that is the Vizag byepass. This goes via Mushidivada and Pendurthy. Drive slowly as the road surface is not that great--50 kmph is advisable, but it will surely save you 30 to 45 mins driving time, compared to going through Vizag.

Continue straight at Pendurthy 'X' roads towards Anandapuram (left takes you to Araku, and right to Simhchalam and Vizag)
You merge with NH5 at Anandapuram. After a few kms (8 to 10), you'd need to exit the NH5 by taking a left--Vijayanagram is around 15 kms from that point.

On your return, continue towards Vizag at Anandapuram Jn--it was a Y jn earlier (not sure after GQ was completed). Left at that place takes you to Vizag, and right to Pendurthy. After around 5 to 6 kms, you will enter a place called Tagarapuvalasa, just after a road bridge. Take a left turn there via Chittivalasa jute mills towards Bhimilipatnam. From Bhimili, you have a scenic marine drive for 30 kms to Vizag, with lots of tourist cottages on the beach, and historic Buddhist sites beside the road.

Enjoy your drive.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 09:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Avoiding Vizag on the onward journey is a good idea. As someone pointed out, branch off left just at a T junction at the end of Anakapalli bypass---right continues to Vizag on NH5, and left takes you to Anakapalli town. After 2 kms or so,, when the road sharply turns left, there is a turning to the right that is the Vizag byepass. This goes via Mushidivada and Pendurthy. Drive slowly as the road surface is not that great--50 kmph is advisable, but it will surely save you 30 to 45 mins driving time, compared to going through Vizag.

Continue straight at Pendurthy 'X' roads towards Anandapuram (left takes you to Araku, and right to Simhchalam and Vizag)
You merge with NH5 at Anandapuram. After a few kms (8 to 10), you'd need to exit the NH5 by taking a left--Vijayanagram is around 15 kms from that point.

On your return, continue towards Vizag at Anandapuram Jn--it was a Y jn earlier (not sure after GQ was completed). Left at that place takes you to Vizag, and right to Pendurthy. After around 5 to 6 kms, you will enter a place called Tagarapuvalasa, just after a road bridge. Take a left turn there via Chittivalasa jute mills towards Bhimilipatnam. From Bhimili, you have a scenic marine drive for 30 kms to Vizag, with lots of tourist cottages on the beach, and historic Buddhist sites beside the road.

Enjoy your drive.
Thanks vnabhi. These details would help me avoid city traffic and I really want to drive down Bhimili road on my way back. I drove on this road on a bike back in early 90's (1992-93)and I really have great memories from then on. Now, I want to drive on this road with my family.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:43   #15
BHPian

hi muralisk,
ya going through anakapalle - pendurthi road will bypass vizag and it will reduce around 30+ kms also. enjoy the drive ..

Thanks,
Srinivas
sriswe is offline   Reply With Quote