Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 22:05   #211
BHPian
 
jaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 369
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil
So far as I know the RTOs in Karnataka issue only IDP i.e., International Driving Permit. I have never heard of anything like IDL i.e., International Driving License. Someone having better information please throw some light.
It's only the Permit. No Country can issue a International Driving License.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:26   #212
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 263
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

I will be going to Europe (Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Switzerland) in June. I have a valid Driving License from Texas (USA) and also have a DL here in India (the Indian one isn't a smart card one but a Printed form filled with pen and stamped). As far as I understand correctly, the Paper license from India isn't acceptable there in Europe, but what about the validity of US license. I will be going on a Schengen Tourist visa. Can I rent a car and drive there?
Animesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:55   #213
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 739
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

I'm going to london in april. Will my smart card license from mumbai rto suffice or will i need to get an IDP ?
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 13:34   #214
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 551
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I will be going to Europe (Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Switzerland) in June. I have a valid Driving License from Texas (USA) and also have a DL here in India (the Indian one isn't a smart card one but a Printed form filled with pen and stamped). As far as I understand correctly, the Paper license from India isn't acceptable there in Europe, but what about the validity of US license. I will be going on a Schengen Tourist visa. Can I rent a car and drive there?
Our own Yeti (Sam Kapasi) drives rented cars in Europe with Indian License. Not sure if he has paper license or smart card one. But in one of his travelogues he mentioned it should be in English. So I think there is no reason to reject your US license while renting cars. I myself been to Switzerland and you could rent cars with Indian license.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 15:55   #215
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 263
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Our own Yeti (Sam Kapasi) drives rented cars in Europe with Indian License. Not sure if he has paper license or smart card one. But in one of his travelogues he mentioned it should be in English. So I think there is no reason to reject your US license while renting cars. I myself been to Switzerland and you could rent cars with Indian license.
Then it would work just fine. Thank you for your inputs.

I have however ditched the idea of renting a car in Europe. Probably not the most efficient plan to travel in Europe for the first time. Gonna buy a Euro Rail pass.
Animesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 10:17   #216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 312
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Got my IDP and smart card Indian DL-IDP was delivered on the third day after applying-RTO Batterhalli, Banagalore-no issues, no bribes just followed the regulations!! Will be driving both in UK and Austria.
Any advice for Austria??
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 22:22   #217
BHPian
 
AlphaKilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VOMM-EDDW-EDDM
Posts: 773
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Then it would work just fine. Thank you for your inputs.

I have however ditched the idea of renting a car in Europe. Probably not the most efficient plan to travel in Europe for the first time. Gonna buy a Euro Rail pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Got my IDP and smart card Indian DL-IDP was delivered on the third day after applying-RTO Batterhalli, Banagalore-no issues, no bribes just followed the regulations!! Will be driving both in UK and Austria.
Any advice for Austria??
Please be adviced: International Driving Licence - not valid in Germany!

Indian licence is very well valid, but carry original always. Check with ADAC.de for more info. Euro rail pass is a fantastic thing! In Europe travelling by pulic transport is easier, faster and better than renting vehicles. Its costly to rent cars.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 16:54   #218
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 739
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

I'm going to UK on 1st may so can someone tell me whether I would need an IDP or not? Im going for a month.
I'll be staying in main London and Leicester.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:58   #219
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gahziabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I'm going to UK on 1st may so can someone tell me whether I would need an IDP or not? Im going for a month.
I'll be staying in main London and Leicester.
Guess its a bit late to answer now, but your valid Indian Driving License (in any form) will be accepted for one year from your arrival. You do not need IDP to drive within UK, if you meet above condition.
rysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 13:13   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,550
Thanked: 2,483 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Fellas,

I'll be off to USA by July end so plan to get myself an IDP.

I stay in B'lore but my DL has been issued in Pune, Maharashtra.

Any info on agents who can help me get the IDP issued here in B'lore?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 20:18   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
Fellas,

I'll be off to USA by July end so plan to get myself an IDP.

I stay in B'lore but my DL has been issued in Pune, Maharashtra.

Any info on agents who can help me get the IDP issued here in B'lore?
Contact the Automobile Association, become a life member and get your IDP in a jiffy. Its legal, respected and far better than working with those creepologists who hang out near the RTO's in India.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 20:34   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,550
Thanked: 2,483 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Contact the Automobile Association, become a life member and get your IDP in a jiffy. Its legal, respected and far better than working with those creepologists who hang out near the RTO's in India.
That's what I had initially planned. But if I take a membership here, it'll be that of the South Indian Automobile Association. I'll be leaving B'lore for good next month.

I am from Pune and folks stay in Gurgaon; so, would membership to SSAI be of help at either of these 2 places too?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 20:43   #223
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987

That's what I had initially planned. But if I take a membership here, it'll be that of the South Indian Automobile Association. I'll be leaving B'lore for good next month.

I am from Pune and folks stay in Gurgaon; so, would membership to SSAI be of help at either of these 2 places too?
I drove a rental in California on my indian license. So Indian licenses are not an issue. just make sure if your license is in Marathi then you have an English translation. If you have a card license then it should already be in English.
Latest as of March 2012.

You can get an IDP from an RTO by paying a fine (for not converting your license to local address) and then IDP fee. that's what I did 4 yrs ago in Mumbai. Maybe Bangalore RTO has a similar way.
Edit: I had to go through this route as the address on my passport and license were different. WIAA needs them to be same otherwise they'll not provide help on IDP.

Last edited by rtandon : 26th May 2012 at 20:47.
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 21:07   #224
BHPian
 
Automaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 244
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Was planning a trip last year to Austria, Italy and Switzerland.
Decided to drive in the first two and booked the Swiss Pass for the third. Oh what an experience.
Both in terms of a blast to actually drive there, and the process to get an IDP.

I had a Pune address on my licence and passport has my Mumbai address, so spent three long weekends back and forth at the Pune RTO, with applications, agents, the officials (who were helpful), went to local court to make an affidavit, and a dozen other frustrating things, all because I wanted an IDP.

Had to have it because I had already got great deals for the two weeks from Europcar.
Week 1 in a 1.2L Skoda Fabia on the excellent Austrian roads with clear signs and exits, and a GPS unit to boot.
Week 2 in Italy, in a slow 1.2L Fiat 500 with local and Autostrada signs not making any sense except to locals who knew the area and the language. It was peak summer in Europe, so everyone had fled, the normally lonely streets were extra-deserted. So no one to ask for the final mile. Anyway I digress, it was fun to get lost and discover amazing little places.

Finally I got hold of the IDP only to discover that the smart card is very much accepted everywhere. Because I took out the IDP first they used to look at it, and then eventually ask for the valid licence anyway.

This was me being extra careful considering that I was travelling to Europe for the first time and was planning a driving holiday. Other South East Asian countries anyway accepted even the old Paper booklet licence.

Have fun all of you, and no it doesn't work out expensive to drive as compared to a pass, considering the freedom you get. I got comparable deals on both cars, as compared to a Eurail Pass or equivalent.
Automaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 21:10   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987

That's what I had initially planned. But if I take a membership here, it'll be that of the South Indian Automobile Association. I'll be leaving B'lore for good next month.

I am from Pune and folks stay in Gurgaon; so, would membership to SSAI be of help at either of these 2 places too?
Yes. The AASI membership will be useful anywhere else too.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to convert a foreign license to indian license gautamkhadse The Indian Car Scene 19 9th June 2017 21:53
Renting car in Austria - Is IDP required tsk1979 Route / Travel Queries 17 17th October 2015 15:25
Learner's License Of Other State Valid permit to drive in BLR? lambuhere1 Street Experiences 26 20th February 2014 13:14
Do I need an International Permit to drive in US Haste Shifting gears 1 22nd June 2009 00:11
International Driving Permit In Maharashtra porsche_fan Route / Travel Queries 8 1st December 2006 23:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks