Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd September 2016, 16:41   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hyderabad - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Guys which route is the fastest currently between Hyderabad and Pondicherry? It need not necessarily be the shortest. Which route is ideal for an early morning start from Hyderabad in an XUV with family?
Thanks
Fastest should be the Chennai highway (Hyd-Chennai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry). But I dont know how much time one should account for to cross Chennai.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 09:14   #62
BHPian

Folks - Planning to do Hyderabad-Puducherry in a day. I don't mind 12 hours of drive, however just wanted to check the road conditions and if it is advisable? Which route to take?
jha.shailesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 21:39   #63
BHPian

Just back from a marathon drive.

Hyderabad-Chennai-Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry-Neyveli-Thiruvannamalai-Vellore-Chittoor-Madanapalle-Kadiri-Anantapur-Kurnool-Hyderabad. I did this in 4 day trip.

Hyderabad to Chennai is a breeze VIA NAM Expressway. 10 hrs of drive. However, crossing chennai and getting to ECR was a bit of pain. Took an hour and half to get to ECR and from there on it's a 2 hour drive to pondi. The route which I took while coming back was on purpose. It was a 14 hour non stop drive from Neyveli.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 21:46   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Hyderabad to Chennai is a breeze VIA NAM Expressway. 10 hrs of drive. However, crossing chennai and getting to ECR was a bit of pain. Took an hour and half to get to ECR and from there on it's a 2 hour drive to pondi.
Unless and until you *want* to take ECR there is no specific reason you *need* to. Given that they are 4-laning the ECR (as I hear from members), the original charm is anyway lost.

So you might as well take the bypass via Red Hills, continue on to GST and head to Pondicherry via Tindivanam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 21:50   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So you might as well take the bypass via Red Hills, continue on to GST and head to Pondicherry via Tindivanam.
I have driven on this road a couple of years back and it felt much safer than the ECR, especially at night.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 21:56   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have driven on this road a couple of years back and it felt much safer than the ECR, especially at night.
The Tindivanam road is a much much safer road compared to the ECR. For one, it is a 4-laned road with a median whereas the ECR is a 2-laned road with no medians, plenty of blind curves and straight stretches - I've seen bikes and cars plying at dangerously high speeds! Accidents are very common in the ECR.

I will certainly not recommend this route to someone who's traveling to Pondicherry for the first time from Chennai.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 06:18   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Just back from a marathon drive.

Hyderabad-Chennai-Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry-Neyveli-Thiruvannamalai-Vellore-Chittoor-Madanapalle-Kadiri-Anantapur-Kurnool-Hyderabad.
Please share your update on the road condition on the Vellore-Chittoor-Madanapalle-Kadiri-Anantapur sector?
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 20:09   #68
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Unless and until you *want* to take ECR there is no specific reason you *need* to. Given that they are 4-laning the ECR (as I hear from members), the original charm is anyway lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I will certainly not recommend this route to someone who's traveling to Pondicherry for the first time from Chennai.
You're right. I had to take the ECR because I had booked my hotel at Sholinganallur and wanted to go to Mahabalipuram as well. ECR is really dangerous at night as observed and pointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Please share your update on the road condition on the Vellore-Chittoor-Madanapalle-Kadiri-Anantapur sector?
Vellore to Chittoor is a pain despite being only 37KMs owing to patchy road, truck and local bus traffic. Chittoor to Madanapalle is good all the way. Two lane road with reflectors. Madanapalle to Ananatapur is a mix of good and bad roads. 30% of the stretch is being repaired. One has to be wary of the sudden discontinuation of freshly laid tarmac at many points.

Last edited by Ryuu : 14th October 2016 at 20:10.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote