Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th May 2009, 17:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Help me plan a trip to Munnar

Hi Friends,

Please help me prepare a quick trip plan to Munnar from Bangalore.
My sister, BIL and their 2 Kids are visiting us ( landing here tomorrow afternoon) and I plan to take them to some nice excursion to a hill station in South India. As their trip is short I do not want them to waste much time in Bangalore.

So I have time to finalize the plan by tomorrow afternoon

As of now my plan is .

8th Morning : Start from Bangalore - Wonder La ( Mainly to entertain Kids) - Mysore - Night stay at Mysore.

9th Morning :

Start Early morning from Mysore.

Mysore, Nanjangud, Chamarajanagar, Sathtyamangalam, Punjaipuliampatti, Annur, Avanashi, Palladam, Udumalaipettai, Chinnar, Munnar ( route curtsy HVkumar from another thread )

Would Mysore - Maddur - Malavalli - Chamrajnagar be a better option ? ( saw this on another Munnar thread).

What would be the approximate drive time from Mysore to Munnar ?

Suggestions for places to stay in Mysore and Munnar would be wellcome ?

Will 2 days be enough for Munnar and surrouding areas ?

And in case you think there can be some better plan / other destination to travel with 3 kids ( 2.5 yrs , 4 yrs and 7 yrs) and 4 adults please suggest.

Regards
Amit
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Somebody please answer. I too need this info. It will be great if we get some inputs.
Thanks in advance
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There are quite a few travelogues which you guys can refer to. Just search for Munnar in title.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 00:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
There are quite a few travelogues which you guys can refer to. Just search for Munnar in title.
Well thanks for the tip but as you can see I have already tried this and quotes from those threads the question is bit more specific if I stay overnight in Mysore then maddur - malavali - sathy rout is better / shorter or mysore - Nanjegaud - chamrajnagar one.

Also is it necessary to stay overnight or can i do night driving as I want to spend day at wonder-la which is on Mysore road and it takes around 1.5 hours just to get out of Bangalore so thinking of covering this while going to munnar.
Old 7th May 2009, 08:19   #5
BHPian

If you are visiting mysore, my suggestion would be to visit Ooty instead of Munnar. Ooty is nearest place to mysore and you can reach earlier to Ooty than Munnar.
viv1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 11:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi Friends,

As of now my plan is .

8th Morning : Start from Bangalore - Wonder La ( Mainly to entertain Kids) - Mysore - Night stay at Mysore.

9th Morning :

Start Early morning from Mysore.

Mysore, Nanjangud, Chamarajanagar, Sathtyamangalam, Punjaipuliampatti, Annur, Avanashi, Palladam, Udumalaipettai, Chinnar, Munnar ( route curtsy HVkumar from another thread )

Would Mysore - Maddur - Malavalli - Chamrajnagar be a better option ? ( saw this on another Munnar thread).

What would be the approximate drive time from Mysore to Munnar ?

Suggestions for places to stay in Mysore and Munnar would be wellcome ?

And in case you think there can be some better plan / other destination to travel with 3 kids ( 2.5 yrs , 4 yrs and 7 yrs) and 4 adults please suggest.

Regards
Amit
Quote:
Well thanks for the tip but as you can see I have already tried this and quotes from those threads the question is bit more specific if I stay overnight in Mysore then maddur - malavali - sathy rout is better / shorter or mysore - Nanjegaud - chamrajnagar one.

Also is it necessary to stay overnight or can i do night driving as I want to spend day at wonder-la which is on Mysore road and it takes around 1.5 hours just to get out of Bangalore so thinking of covering this while going to munnar.
Take Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar. Via Maddur it is much longer, as you are effectively going in opposite direction. My colleague has just come back from Munnar through this route. The road surface from Mysore till Tamilnadu border is not so good, but it is very scenic. Please avoid night driving, as traffic is sparse and it goes through thick vegetation.

It will take you approximately 4 hours to reach Coimbatore from Mysore around 1.5 from coimbatore to udumalpet and 3 hours from udumalpet to Munnar. You can avoid coimbatore by taking Avinashi - Palladam route, but journey time will mostly be the same.

If you get 2 complete days apart from the days you are driving to and from, it should be fine. Otherwise it would be hectic, as you will be driving 10/11 hour on day 1 and day 3 and that leaves you with only day 2 for sightseeing.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 12:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post

It will take you approximately 4 hours to reach Coimbatore from Mysore around 1.5 from coimbatore to udumalpet and 3 hours from udumalpet to Munnar. You can avoid coimbatore by taking Avinashi - Palladam route, but journey time will mostly be the same.

If you get 2 complete days apart from the days you are driving to and from, it should be fine. Otherwise it would be hectic, as you will be driving 10/11 hour on day 1 and day 3 and that leaves you with only day 2 for sightseeing.
Thanks Arndiam for details ,Can some one tell how much would be drive time from Mysore to Ooty ?
Old 7th May 2009, 12:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arndiam for details ,Can some one tell how much would be drive time from Mysore to Ooty ?
Max 3 hours from Mysore to Ooty via Masinagudi. Add 30-60 minutes if via Gudalur.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 12:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Add 30-60 minutes if via Gudalur.
It's more towards 60 than 30
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 12:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Most defiantly, Munnar is a small town and most resorts have programs that help help you cover the whole spectrum in 2 days.
Alhought there are many non conventional spots that could be more fun, jus that you'll need someone who's been there to explain..
Enjoy!
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 13:07   #11
BHPian

Amit, if you are not particular about Munnar, you could think about Vythiri and Batheri. Much easier to reach from Mysore
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote