Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th January 2014, 10:13   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Feedback on different Self Drive rental agencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
The right hand does not know what the left is doing. You will never find any synchronisation within their own departments. But yes, one thing that they are very prompt is customer service.

I have found their services to be very good when compared with other operators in the market.
+1. They were absolutely clueless about documentation when I returned the car and did not had any official return receipt.
Though I made them give me copy of vehicle log with signoff that car was returned without any driver damage.

After my stern mail, they have sent the 'corrected invoice' with pending amount nil but rest of the details still incorrect as earlier.

I think I will rest it here.

Note to everyone planning to use myles - Their hire policy is pretty ironcald and runs into 4 pages but the the return documentation is very weak/non-existent. Make sure you get them to sign off enough details to indemnify yourself.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 08:42   #92
BHPian

Why did you have to pay the road tax for UP separately? Does it need to be paid for each state visited during the rental? Does it also mean that one can not make unplanned visits to states not mentioned during rental pick-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post

Myles self drive taxi
Rent for 24 hours = 2474 including taxes
Diesel for 200 km run = 1200
Road tax for U.P. for 2 days = 365.40
MCD entry charges to delhi = 90 (@ 45/entry)
Total = 4129.4
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 17:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Does it also mean that one can not make unplanned visits to states not mentioned during rental pick-up?
You can,just that you would have to pay the entry tax at the tax checkpost.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 20:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Why did you have to pay the road tax for UP separately? Does it need to be paid for each state visited during the rental? Does it also mean that one can not make unplanned visits to states not mentioned during rental pick-up?
The self drive cabs have commercial yellow plate registration. You will have to pay state entry tax for every state you visit which is dependent on the capacity of cab, AC/NonAC and the state rules itself.

These offices are placed at the main entries to each state but not the nicest place to visit and are rather crowded, so its best to pay online in advance if there is an option.

Impromptu visit to states is possible as clarifed by ranjit below. Just find out the office on entry and pay the tax.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 16:18   #95
BHPian

Default Car for hire in Goa

Hi Friends,

I am planning to do a 4 day Goa trip in 2nd week of March. I would need contacts of folks in Goa who lend a wagon-r/alto on daily rental basis. If you do have information, can you please PM me.

Cheers
Karthik
sparsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 09:13   #96
BHPian

Default Re: Car for hire in Goa

Goa Self Drive Cars contact 09486193977

Very professional guys and they even let you pick up and drop the rental car at the airport/railway station. Charges are reasonable too! Highly recommended
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 10:43   #97
BHPian

You can try 09822101598 or 09822688234. Enjoy your trip
kewlferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 13:07   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
I am planning to do a 4 day Goa trip in 2nd week of March. I would need contacts of folks in Goa who lend a wagon-r/alto on daily rental basis. If you do have information, can you please PM me.
Karthik, since your going during a non-peak season, negotiate for a better rate. I would recommend sticking to contact that the hotel person where your staying recommends as there would be some connection

There are plenty of people who lend out cars and bikes. Dont worry too much about it and just get it arranged through your hotel reception.

Rates will be anywhere between Rs.800 to 1200 a day ( excluding petrol) and you need to give them a copy of your DL and dont forget to take copies of Insurance, RC etc from the lender.

Cheers and Enjoy !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 14:50   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I would recommend sticking to contact that the hotel person where your staying recommends as there would be some connection

There are plenty of people who lend out cars and bikes. Dont worry too much about it and just get it arranged through your hotel reception.
Mobike008 - I tried this option but the Hotel Rates are a double whammy. They charge 1200/- instead of a market rate of 1000/- for SAntro/Wagon R and also they are offering only private board(white board) instead of the self drive(Black board with yellow numbers). The resort in debate here is Tiara Saligao.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 15:12   #100
Team-BHP Support

If you wish to try a professionaly run setup, give carzonrent a try: Link
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 15:53   #101
Senior - BHPian

I paid Rs 900 a day during peak season for an Alto K10. The car was good with all papers. I got it on the advice of the hotel security guy.

But it was a private vehicle and the owner gave me his number to call in case of need. I am sure the other rentals would have charged a lot more.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 16:05   #102
BHPian

I was in Goa in Feb first week last year. I remember paying 750/- for one day after negotiations. But I had to foot the fuel bill. I did not go through the hotel staff where I was staying. I guess that's why I got it cheap. The car was a Hyundai Getz.

Do remember to bargain a bit. Check 2-wheelers, too. A better option in Goa what with all those parking problems in Panjim and North Goa.

Last edited by travelwriter : 12th February 2014 at 16:06. Reason: More details
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 18:26   #103
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Car for hire in Goa

I am geting a quote of 1000/- per day for Santro/Alto/Wagon R for a legal rental self drive board (black + yellow numbers). the same costs 800/- for a white board car.

I have some questions please help me with answers. I am travelling on 21st night and will reach Madgaon station by 7:30 am on 22nd feb by train. I would need to car from 22nd morning 7:00 am - 26th evening 5:00 pm (5 days).
  1. What is the difference between White board and Yellow+Black board (what are the legal implications). Will i be stopped by cops if i drive a white board car.
  2. help me choose between White board and Rental self drive legal car. I am with a one year old kid and my spouse so would like to avoid problems as far as i can. Money is not a problem. Private vehicles are 200-300/- cheaper than the legal self drive car.
  3. It seems economical to have the car vendor receive me @ Madgaon and also surrender the car @ Madgaon station. Any comments? Resort's own Taxi pickup costs me 900/- .
  4. What are the parking challenges i would face. Is it bad as any town/city or is parking avaialble easily near beaches/restaurants/Panjim boating/Agouda fort etc.
  5. I prefer a car rather than a 2-wheeler as i have a 15 month old infant.
  6. Anything i should know or any pointers or tips on Goan driving. I am a sedate driver travelling with familiy.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 12th February 2014 at 18:28.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 19:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am geting a quote of 1000/- per day for Santro/Alto/Wagon R for a legal rental self drive board (black + yellow numbers). the same costs 800/- for a white board car.
[*][/list]
Quote:
What is the difference between White board and Yellow+Black board (what are the legal implications). Will i be stopped by cops if i drive a white board car.
The difference is simple one is legal and the other is illegal.Will you be stopped?,Now that's your luck,if you have a "touristy" kind of face,wearing a cowboy hat and a "I love Goa" tshirt then you might be stopped if you're out in a white board vehicle. The legal implications would be you get fined or depending on the connection of the person you get the car from,you might just be declared as a distant visiting cousin. When you get a legal yellow-black board vehicle,you will definitely be stopped once maybe, but wont be an issue if all papers are right which they are normally.Since you are a family you might get away with a white board vehicle but the risk is yours.My suggestion take the yellow-black board.

Quote:
It seems economical to have the car vendor receive me @ Madgaon and also surrender the car @ Madgaon station. Any comments? Resort's own Taxi pickup costs me 900/-
If you are going to take the car on rent anyways ,what you stated above will the best option and also economical.

Quote:
What are the parking challenges i would face. Is it bad as any town/city or is parking available easily near beaches/restaurants/Panjim boating/Aguada fort etc.
Parking is always a challenge when you go to the main tourist spot but the rush is low this time of the year so you will definitely get a spot to park.

Quote:
I prefer a car rather than a 2-wheeler as i have a 15 month old infant.
Anything i should know or any pointers or tips on Goan driving. I am a sedate driver travelling with family.
Driving is a breeze in Goa,very different from what you may be used to in Mumbai/Chennai,less noise pollution,less honking..Just be sure to buckle-up, don't drive fast and enjoy your trip.

P.S. There's a reliable legal car on rent operator close to my office,I'll try and get the rates for you along with the contact details so maybe you can decide from there on.I'll get you the rates for wagonr/alto/santro whichever available and maybe even a Thar if you're interested.PM me if you need any other help in Goa.

Last edited by richie4u : 12th February 2014 at 19:05.
richie4u is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 23:56   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
P.S. There's a reliable legal car on rent operator close to my office,I'll try and get the rates for you along with the contact details so maybe you can decide from there on.I'll get you the rates for wagonr/alto/santro whichever available and maybe even a Thar if you're interested.PM me if you need any other help in Goa.
This is going to be a informative thread with contacts. I was in Goa 2 weeks back and vendors were asking 400 for activa/dio - i like 2 wheeler ride in Goa so avoided car. Managed to pay 300 for New Dio (Weekend Rates are higher). These are vendors near Ginger hotel Panjim. Earlier i used to pay 150 for activa!!
idea is offline   Reply With Quote