Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 21:15   #16
BHPian
 
sanjaymugur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Instead, I would suggest you have breakfast at Mylari hotel. The best dosas/idlies in Mysore city
there had been a case of food poisoning at mylari sometime back because of hygiene issues, nowadays there is not much crowd there.. instead have breakfast at GTR, gayatri tiffin rooms, excellent food, sagu dosa is very good there... i almost always have breakfast there...

also i prefer Shivalli MTR to kamat, bisibele & khara bath are very good...
sanjaymugur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 21:21   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 314
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Kamat Lokaruchi - Is it really worth the time, effort & money you spend there? Its overly crowded, takes min of 30 mins to get a table, the staff is arrogant, rates are through the roof, slow.. even on a vacation, I wouldnt like to waste time in a place like that. I just feel that its hyped up & does not deserve the attention it gets (my opinion)

Shivalli Restuarant (next to the original coffeeday) - It was good, but now I feel even it is a rip-off for what they offer. No unique fare really.

Nazarbad's Mylari hotel - Wow. You bring up those fond memories (from my school days) of eating dosas there on sundays. They used to pull down the shutters to control the rush. They went around with hot steaming dosas on a tray and give them to people who ask for it (no concept of ordering & waiting.. eat how much you want, pay up at the end). I have never come across such dosas anywhere else after that OR probably I dont want to admit there is a better place than Mylari hotel for it.

BTW, there is a Mylari hotel toward Mysore (on the right side when going towards Mysore) - Is this the same one? Anyone knows? Never got a chance to stop there, thanks to all the other flashy places which come on the way :(

Also, where exactly is GTR? I am not able to recollect (or it wasnt there then)

Last edited by null : 19th May 2009 at 21:27.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 00:55   #18
BHPian
 
GSMINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 353
Thanked: 94 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Where exactly is Mylari hotel in Mysore? I have tried to find it a few times, but have failed. Nobody seems to know the place in Mysore.
Continue straight after mysore bus stand, next circle take a left.
It is at the start of the mysore-kollegal road, near Police comissioner's office, near Zoo.
Infact after the founder's demise, his sons have split up & there are several Mylari hotels all in the same lane, infact almost opposite to each other.
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 10:40   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 381 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Ooh I dint know Sire . With due respect how many hotels have you really stopped over and tried along this route ?
Just because a place has ample parking space and is next to Janapada loka it doesn't qualify to be a good place.
Did I ever say it is good ? You assume too much

see while going to mysore Janapada Loka looks like a good place and many people gets confused and think it is part of Kamath ( looks like one big complex from outside) and walk in. Other roadside places do not inspire such confidence amoung tourists thats all.
This is not something unique about bangalore mysore road it happens on all the highways all the time.

[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
BTW I have been traveling this route for over a decade to my hometown and can swear by the fact that there are better places in Mandya and in Mysore. Its just that one needs to explore and find places than stop over at a place which has ample parking space.
Not everyone travelling on this route is a local , For most travellers what looks good from outside inspires more confidence , How else you can justify CCD on this route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

BTW did you know the famous thatte idli's from Bidadi is served at hotels which are nothing more than shacks ? You get to sit on a bench and eat, the taste is priceless and its seldom that you find cheap crowd here.



Abhi I think its more of a mental block that people see so many cars parked and then go on to decide that this is the best place. I speak from experience and trust me you should try Hotel Mylary some day.
See locals have certain knowledge but for an average tourists confidence about saftey and hygene is more important. It is a human tendency to seek saftey in numbers , So more parked cars mean still more cars stopping there.
I would suggest other eatries on this route should ask thier family and friends to park cars in front of thier outfit for initial few days to kickstart the business
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 13:46   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 789 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Kamat Lokaruchi - Is it really worth the time, effort & money you spend there? Its overly crowded, takes min of 30 mins to get a table, the staff is arrogant, rates are through the roof, slow.. even on a vacation, I wouldnt like to waste time in a place like that. I just feel that its hyped up & does not deserve the attention it gets (my opinion)
Exactly what I felt during my last visit to this place about 2 years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Shivalli Restuarant (next to the original coffeeday) - It was good, but now I feel even it is a rip-off for what they offer. No unique fare really.
You dint know ? They now have a parking lot and maybe thats the reason as quoted by some members here . Shivalli also have lost their charm and that so called commitment towards service and also the quality of food is real bad these days. Till recently I used to pull over here for their coffee and khara bath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Did I ever say it is good ? You assume too much
So who's assuming now , LOLzz

Quote:
see while going to mysore Janapada Loka looks like a good place and many people gets confused and think it is part of Kamath ( looks like one big complex from outside) and walk in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
For most travellers what looks good from outside inspires more confidence , How else you can justify CCD on this route ?
Its like, don't ever judge a book by its cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I would suggest other eatries on this route should ask thier family and friends to park cars in front of thier outfit for initial few days to kickstart the business
Maybe that's how it works in the place where you come from. Highly unlikely to happen here coz there are restaurants here which don't have parking spaces, run in small shops and shacks and yet they are crowd pullers.

The best example I can think of is Pavitra hotel in Kytasandra near Tumkur.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 14:28   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 381 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post


Maybe that's how it works in the place where you come from. Highly unlikely to happen here coz there are restaurants here which don't have parking spaces, run in small shops and shacks and yet they are crowd pullers.

The best example I can think of is Pavitra hotel in Kytasandra near Tumkur.
I come from just 38 KM away that is Bangalore and thats how it works almost everywhere. tell me is the rush at Pavitra same as Kamath ?

Its all about business , I would say Kamaths have good business acumen.
Another good example is Chandni Chowk restaurant in Koramangla.

Almost zero establishment / decoration cost and prices are more then anyone else and is always full despite not so good food.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks