Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st May 2013, 14:29   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tips on driving in Germany

Hi

Am landing in Munich in the third week of May. Was looking at renting a SUV for about 10 days. Is it better to do it online or visit the rental counters there

thanks
amidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 17:59   #32
BHPian

I have got the opportunity to ride around in Germany on my colleagues BMW G650GS, Can anyone let me know if I can ride a motor bike in Germany with an valid Indian national driving licence.
AMG_ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 18:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
I have got the opportunity to ride around in Germany on my colleagues BMW G650GS, Can anyone let me know if I can ride a motor bike in Germany with an valid Indian national driving licence.
Yes, you can as long as the Indian DL allows you to do so. Fact is, in Germany, Motorcyclists have a separate License but you can use your Indian License for 6 months both for 2 and 4 wheelers and then incase required get an extension for another 6 months at an extra cost of ~5o euros.

So enjoy and have fun.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 18:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi

Am landing in Munich in the third week of May. Was looking at renting a SUV for about 10 days. Is it better to do it online or visit the rental counters there

thanks
Well, before you rent a Car, I am sure you would have gone through the driving rules which are far more stricter than elsewhere.

Anyways, You dont have to do it online, all major airports here have counters of EuropeCar, sixt, Avis or Hertz to say the least and IMO EuropeCar is the best. So just go to any one of them and get whichever car you want.

Sorry: The OP was way too old for a reply. pls ignore.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 12th June 2014 at 18:23.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 19:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post

Any idea if one can get his license renewed while on a business visa? had a DL from Germany, but exchanged it for a Canadian one while I was in Canada. Now would it be possible to exchange the Canadian one while I'm in DE on a business visit? would be staying at least for 2 weeks each time I visit.

Any pointers appreciated, thanks.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 19:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Any idea if one can get his license renewed while on a business visa? had a DL from Germany, but exchanged it for a Canadian one while I was in Canada. Now would it be possible to exchange the Canadian one while I'm in DE on a business visit? would be staying at least for 2 weeks each time I visit.

Any pointers appreciated, thanks.
AFAIK, It doesn't matter which type of Visa you are holding, You are still allowed to drive with your IDL for 6 months.

Check this website for which country/state visa are allowed for an exchange with a German DL. You might get your answer.

HowToGermany.com

--Shiv
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote